Thu, Oct 3, 2:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: An idea for a program or script...

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2003 at 5:44 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:15 PM

Sorry if it allready exist, if so please point me to it :) But... What I would like was a program that went thru the Runtime Folder and checked for rsr files with a corresponding png. I am using Pro pack and could in theory delete all the rsr's in the Runtime (except POSER.rsr of course) BUT... some (older) files have only an rsr and no png, and in that case I would be left with the shrugging guy. I recently cleaned out my Geometries folder for more than 500 Mb of redundant RSR's - generated while I was still on Poser 4 without Pro pack :o) A search has just revealed a LOT of rsr files in the other folders, all the thumbnails. Now I have almost no programming expirience, but if either a Python script or some sort of batchfile could be made that could find and delete the unneeded rsr's... Something like checking if there were 2 or 3 files in each folder with the same name, if there was 3 files one of them was an rsr, the rsr had a corresponding png, = delete rsr Can this be done? Will somebody do it? :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

ockham ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2003 at 6:49 PM

Can be done. I'll try it. To be clear: Is it always safe to simply delete the RSR when we see something like this? ABC.CR2 ABC.PNG ABC.RSR

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Wadus ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2003 at 6:54 PM

this isnt as easy as a program to do it automatically, but you could use the Windows Find(or whatever it's called) to search in the runtime folder for *.rsr, *.png then sort them by name and it'll show them together...

bwldrd ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2003 at 6:55 PM

Might want to be careful with deleting the rsr, sometimes the pngs I have seem to just show nothing, not even the little shrugging guy when I load a folder and I have to delete them and let the rsr rebuild them to show an image.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider me insane if you wish, but is your reality any better?

layingback ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2003 at 7:14 PM

To bwldrd's concern, the script could move to a special directory or directories, rather than delete. Then after you've checked all folders in Poser ProPak - and recovered any needed .png's due to a case of the shruggy guy - the saved folder can simply be deleted.

spurlock5 ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2003 at 7:34 PM

You can also compress the special directory so it would take up still less space. That way you could keep it longer in case you find that you need one of those files. There is also a feature in Windows that allows you to identify when a file was accessed last. That way you could get a pretty good idea of which .rsr files are not being used. All of our hard disks are probably full of orphaned files that we have no idea to what they belong.

Jenny_Lea ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2003 at 2:07 AM

maybe a script that could in theroy scan the librarys folder find the .rsr's that have no corispoding png convert it to png and then delete the rsr file and if there IS a corrisponding png then just delete the rsr

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2003 at 2:15 AM

Jenny_Lea's idea is actually great. If a program like P3DOExplorer can convert between RSR's and PNG's it is certainly a doable way. But other than that, yes, basically if the content was ABC.CR2 (or PP2 or whatever) ABC.PNG ABC.RSR then it would be safe to delete the RSR In those cases where the png is "empty". It MAY have to do with the number or colours displayed on your screen, 16 or 24 bit colour. Sometimes 16bit displays do funky things to pngs. But yeah, move it to a (compressed) folder somewhere, then you could salvage a file if the thumbnail suddenly turned up empty :o) Ockham I am sure that if anybody can do it, you can!

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2003 at 6:01 AM

What I do, to clear out unwanted PNGs since I'm still on P4, is use WinXP's search to find all the PNGs, switch to details view and click on the folder column heading to group them by folder and then point P3DO to each listed folder in turn, convert PNG to RSR and delete/move any leftovers in the search results window. Took a while the first time but updating now is pretty quick.

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2003 at 8:35 AM

I think this discussion leads to two little utilities. One to take surplus RSRs into a "dump" directory, and a separate one to list (and optionally dump) never-accessed files of all types.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2003 at 8:58 AM

yeah, but "never accessed files" could also be files that you installed but just never got around to use yet. I know I have LOADS of stuff installed I've not used yet... but that doesn't mean I would like to delete them...

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 03 August 2003 at 9:21 AM

Hmm. That's true. The never-accessed list would also include a lot of the obscure Poser stuff, like the older lo-res figures. One time I deleted that stuff in a misguided housecleaning, and Poser refused to run.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

ockham ( ) posted Wed, 06 August 2003 at 9:17 AM

Attached Link: http://ockhamsbungalow.com/Python/RSRwiper.zip

file_69804.jpg

See later thread (RSR Wiper) for more detail.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 06 August 2003 at 10:36 AM

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!!! SMOOOOOCH :o)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.