Sat, Sep 21, 6:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:18 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Why do so many people want to write a book?

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 7:34 AM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:31 AM

Attached Link: 2blowhards.com - Writing a Book

From the wonderful world of blogs - a discussion on why so many people want to write a book. And some realities thrown in for good measure. Take a browse and see what you think., ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ taken from Neat New Stuff I Found This Week Copyright, Marylaine Block, 1999-2003.

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 10:57 AM

the advance?..;) I like the idea of writing a book..it's the writing the book I have problems with..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

lavender ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 11:29 AM

I don't think it can be the advance. For one thing, you aren't likely to get one, and for another thing, when you do you will probably discover that you would have made more money doing something else.

lavender ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 5:21 PM

Okay, I went and checked the link and here's my reactions to what was said there, instead of here. First off, a lot of people DON'T want to write a book, they want to have written (and sold) a book. Those of us who really do want to write books, don't find it nearly as much of a pain as this guy suggests, and even when it is a pain, it still satisfies a deep inner need, and is therefore my joyful and pleasant than the alternative of not writing books. Next question, why do the people who like writing books try to sell them instead of putting them up on the web? Because even if you DON'T make a living at it, you might as well make as much money off of it as you can. AND Because they want not just to write books, but to write GOOD books, and getting someone to pay money for it is a fairly good indication that it might not suck rocks. At least that's the way I see it. (I've written four books and I'm 20 000 words into the next one.)

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 01 July 2003 at 6:57 AM

I cant write a book commensurate with Shakespeare, but I can write a book by me. --Sir Walter Raleigh

Crescent ( ) posted Tue, 01 July 2003 at 11:27 PM

lavender hit almost all my thoughts exactly. (If you're reading my mind - get out! It's far too dangerous a place to be!) ;-) I write because I need to be other places and be other people - to do things I can't do. I haven't been able to write lately due to other projects and that's probably one reason I'm so whacked out and stressed right now (in-laws and job don't help, either.) My stories are screaming at me to be let out. Writing is a pain, but so is being silent: The rosebud refused to bloom for fear of pain until it hurt too much not to bloom. (If someone could get me the exact quote, I'd be ever grateful. I can't believe I can't remember it!) I'd like to be able to sell some of my stories because it means people agree that my thoughts and visions have value. I've posted a few stories on the web, as much to get up my courage to finish my novels as to entertain others. Part of it is to be able to say, "Yes, I'm a professional writer." Part of it is to be able to tell myself that I've entertained people, hopefully even touched a few lives, if only for a few hours. I envy JK Rowlings, not as much for the money, but for the way she's affected so many people in such a positive way. Cheers!

Cerpher ( ) posted Mon, 14 July 2003 at 9:16 PM

Creation.

tyebo4 ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 6:00 PM

Writting is like my drug, I can't live without it. I seems that the longer I go without writting the more my head fills up with things that I can add to the ones I have already. Like a bottle of club soda that's been shaken, as soon as you take off the top it goes everywhere. That's how I feel at times, like I'm full of stories that I want to write out and it get's all jumble cause I can't keep a single thought unless I sit and write all others out first. Hope that made sence? But being a writter is a way to express yourself in words, a way to live in a fantasy world that doesn't exsist but only in your mind, but once it's on paper and you can see the detail in your discription of it then others can also join you in your world even if it's only for the duration of the book. They can finish it thinking, "Wow, what a great place." And if you managed to make just one person feel what you wrote at the time then you've become a writter. I feel it's only one, but if it's more then that, then hey you've done something right...lol Me, personaly, I would love to be a published writter, with the 5 books I have written so far and the one still in the head, you would think I would be by now. But finding that publisher is harder than it looks. Hopefully by the end of the year, that is my goal. Anyway, sorry to have butt into something and then not made sence at all. thanks for the time!

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 6:11 PM

Not intruding at all. Feel free to join any of the threads or start your own...you're welcome here. :) And I think you made a great deal of sense.

tyebo4 ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 6:31 PM

well thank you. I was mainly reading through all of this to find out just how to do this, just want all do I need to do to submit something and if it falls into what your wanting. I do have tons of starter storys that have no endings as of yet....still in the head. Adding one of two would be sort of fun. I wouldn't add the ones that are completed, the main ones cause those would take forever to add....over 400 pages maybe more. I could give you teasers of them, but then again....lol See I rambled on again...my books are my passion can you tell?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.