Sat, Sep 21, 6:10 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Lightwave3D 6 vs. True Space4

lilmikee ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2000 at 7:35 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 5:46 PM

I am thinking looking to get a better 3d software package then Poser or bryce4. I am looking at Lightwave6 or True Space4. I am currently a student so I can use an educational discount to purchase some software. I can get Lightwave 6 for $900, which is a great price but stil pricy for me. Or I can get True Space for $280. Both use the same rendering engine and I must say that I am impressed by the work I have seen using True Space. Which is the best bang for the buck? Does anyone have any feedback for me? I would appreciate it. Thank You Lilmikee

bonestructure ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2000 at 8:56 PM

I personally would recommend 3D Studio Max r3. But of the two you mention, probably Lightspace. My vote for that is due to the fact that Lightspace has been used in several TV and movie productions, whereas Truespace has, to my knowledge never been used, and is a user's nightmare as far as user friendliness and GUI. None of them are easy, the learning curve is very steep on all of them. You might also consider Softimage. And, if you want real bang for the buck, download Strata 3D for free, then buy the accessory packs to bring it up to full functioning. But I still say 3DS is the best overall, if you can't afford Maya, and who can.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

Quikp51 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2000 at 8:56 PM

I use both and I prefer Lightwave folds and folds and folds more. tS is home user level , Lightwave is pro level software and they use it movies. tS has a difficult user interface and Lightwave doesn't. Lightwave , Lightwave , Lightwave my friend. tS3 can be had for free from some magazine , just look in the 3D Apps forum where this thread should be too.

mlofrano ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2000 at 6:51 AM

I am a MAX user, but given your choices, I would say LIghtwave. It has a professional reputation and I am sure it is well deserved. However, if your budget is tight, then by all means go with TS. What you learn about 3D in general and modeling in particular can be transferred to other packages that you might decide on in the future.

Jedi-Fist ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2000 at 9:04 AM

I can afford Maya, and I STILL use LightWave[6]! Why do I like Lightwave so much? Well, boys and girls... Whenever I hang up the phone with the Techs at NewTek, all my problems are solved. Sometimes the tools are hard to figure out, but when you READ THE MANUAL, it all makes sense! I'm having trouble exporting Bryce files to L[6] the way I could with L[5.6], but thats the only problem I have! If you have no life outside graphics, and money is no object- buy both! Nothing says "Impresive... Most Impressive" like a Sith Lord fighting with his kid, or a FAT resume` with more then one software packages!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.