Sun, Sep 22, 8:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Cave suggestions

bradthedog ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2000 at 11:00 AM · edited Tue, 30 July 2024 at 11:14 PM

I am making a cave scene. From the director point of view I am looking out of the cave onto water and sky. Currently for the cave I am using a positive cube grouped with a negative symetrical latice. Does anyone have suggestions? or know links to tutorials on cave building? thanks

RG ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2000 at 9:14 PM

I've played around a lot with caves and the best I've come up is your solution: a negative symetrical lattice and a positive cube. I generally use a square edge and the painted desert texture. I also like the mordor fractal map slightly smoothed to create the lattice. I then add either a small, weak radial light or spotlight and link it to the camera position. Water added to the lower part of the lattice works well. Even though the lattice is symetrical, it generally doesn't look that way in a rendered scene. I've also linked several lattices together: my only problem is the point of merger is too sharp (would be helpful if I could merge the landscapes so the polygons are smoothly linked). Rich

pus ghetty ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2000 at 11:46 AM

I do it a little differently. I create six terrains each with varying height maps. I try to create realistic stalagtite and stalagmite terrains for the top and bottom and then realistic terrains that are more bumpy and curved for the walls. I use lots of dim radial lights with different colors to create atmosphere. Then if you need an opening just subtract a lattice from one of the terrain walls. I find that this works real well. I suggest creating a unique material to match your cave style.

bradthedog ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2000 at 1:36 PM

i have taken a new approach to caving. I created a latice and gone into the editor and started from scratch and drawn it as if was pouring liquid from a bottle. (peter sharpe's tutorial for reference) I lengthened it to be one side of the cave. I made another one the same length and grouped the 2 and now have a long tunnel very cave like. I have also added stalagmites in the same manner as you described, and rocks and sand for the floor.

pus ghetty ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2000 at 2:15 PM

sounds pretty cool let me know if you post a finished rendering, I'd like to see it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.