Sun, Oct 6, 6:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Harry Potter Stuff 2

Huolong ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 8:24 PM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 4:13 AM

Isn't there a decent broom around, a Firebolt? Or other Hogwarts type stuff. Can't be too difficult given the direction that fantasy-medeaval takes.

Gordon

pdxjims ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 8:39 PM

My Fantasy Robe for Ichiro has a Hogwart's type texture incuded with it. No broom though. I know I've seen one somewhere... Daz has one for $4.95. The Dark Ages contruction kit sold here has one. Cooler has a very nice one in freestuff at 3DCommune.

Huolong ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 10:42 PM

I'm surprised that there isn't more stuff around, given the popularity of the books. Maybe folks are scared of copyright problems.

Gordon

pdxjims ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 11:00 PM

I called my stuff "Wizard School" and used a dragon emblem on the robe, just to be VERY careful of the copyright. And all my things are freestuff.

Berserga ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 11:00 PM

Been reading "the Prisoner of Azkaban" to my kid. Cracking good stuff. (I think I like it more than him. :D) So yeah some Harry Potter stuff would be cool.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 11:07 PM

Actually, I was considering doing Hogwarts castle (Alnwick Castle in Northumberland, England) for externals, but can't find enough image references online (even at the castle's site). But for more "proprietary" stuff, like the Firebolt, there could be some copyright concerns. You may want to discuss the legalities with the publisher or Warner Bros. (if you try to design after the movie depictions). I would think that one could get away with "their own vision" for Harry Potter 3D models as long as they aren't sold as Harry Potter (tm), unless you get trademark rights for sale. For personal use in animations and images, shouldn't be any concern (one hopes).

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 11:10 PM

I've finished the entire Harry Potter set in about a month. Much more information and interesting stuff than in the movies. Fred and George are hilarious, but very little show in the movies. Still trying to figure out how they're going to condense "HP and the Goblet of Fire" and "HP and the Order of the Phoenix" into less than two-hour movies. :)

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Huolong ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 2:22 AM

Harry Potter's world is not very much different than the real one ... double dealing, back stabbing, people not being what they are ... too bad there are more Dilberts than Dumbledores in charge of things.

Gordon

steveshanks ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 6:21 AM

kuroyume0161 remind me and i'll take a load of pics and/or videos for you and post them to you on CD/DVD i only live a few miles from the castle, they'll be external shots though coz no photography indoors, they didn't use the interior for HP anyway, speaking of which i have a few indoor shots of the college at oxford that they did use if you want those, the dining room one isn't great but it'll help i think.....Steve PS i can get there this weekend i think

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 9:06 AM

Brilliant, steveshanks! :) Exterior shots would all that would be necessary, since, as you say, the interiors were not from the castle. Anyway, the complete interior would be an enormous undertaking, what with changing staircases, hidden passages, and a room that appears and disappears! Hagrid's hut would have to be filched from the movie. No idea where to put the Whomping Willow, lake, and Quidditch stadium in relation to the castle. Again, rewatching the movies might be a good idea. ;) I have an FTP site. If you have the bandwidth, you could upload the pics/vids to it. Let me know which is best. Thank you very much!!!

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Huolong ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 9:07 AM

Maybe a contest would generate some products. "New" products might include: New brooms School uniforms Quiddich stuff: arena, balls, goals, Interior of school: dorm rooms, hallways, secret chambers special effects magical car(s) whomping tree wands (with special effects) Privet lane and other muggle places Characters: Dementors, House-elves Pictures that move

Gordon

pdxjims ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 9:13 AM

...somehow I thought that good old Steve would volunteer (grin). He's pretty good with that camera of his.

steveshanks ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 10:19 AM

Well the castle as they row across the lake is nothing like Alnwick castle i think that was 3d but i'd guess you could put the lake where the river is (Aln), i think the Quidditch match was held on the meadow by the river so i'll film over the wall to show you that bit, the bit where they had there first Q lesson is inside the the walls and just as it looks so no problems on that, like you say though a watch of the movie will maybe help get things in place...i don't i'm afraid i only have a dial up till end of september when we get broadband so cd or dvd would be easier, if i do about a 100 pics (so you can grab textures) it'll be about 70mb and the video i'll do uncompressed so maybe a gig or two on that, though i can compress or cut up if you don't have a dvd drive...anyway let me know which...Thanks Jim :o).....i was thinking the other day with all the poser users throughout the world we have a huge source of material to work from and we should get a list/club/forum going, like i need pics of a dirt bike, put a call out to the list and someone is bound to have one or know of one, and then maybe someone in say florida wants to create an english type scene they can call and i can take pics in one of the villages nearby, or castles we have loads of those LOL, then there is everyones holdays and the pics we bring back...i managed to grab pics of RAF regiment weapons at an airshow which i probably won't be able to put to much use but others with more weapomn modeling experience may find handy.....what do you think is it an idea worh persuing?.......Steve oh email is steve@poserworld.com

aprilrosanina ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 1:52 PM

I have some "witch stuff" in freestuff here, which include a broom, cauldron, crystal ball, and other things often mentioned in the Potter books. It ain't High Art, but with good texturing they can hopefully be useful.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 2:43 PM

But that's all the same Potter stuff for KIDS: tatty school gown, wand, glasses. sheesh! The castle would be great, but not because it was used in the movie. I would be interested in the robes worn by the teachers, though. Maggie Smith's gown is gorgeous and has an impressive presence when she sweeps down a hallway. The oriental purple stuff worn by the "Protection from the Dark Sciences" guy in the first movie, complete with turban, is intriguing. Of course the dueling scene with Rickman and Brannaugh showed their tailoring off to perfection. God, they could have drowned the kids and just let us watch the men pose and point for an hour! Carolly, glancing fondly at her several feet of Tolkien-related books.

Huolong ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 9:54 PM

Harry Potter is not Kid Stuff. It's like Pooh and Alice in Wonderland ... designed for adults to read to kids. There is an entirely different spin on things for adults than what kids pick up on. Having reached the age of retirement, I can state categorically that every one of the chacacters in the book, particularly in the Ministry of Magic, exist in real world. Potter ranks with Dilbert, Pogo, Alice, adn Pooh as a commentary of the condition of society, now and forever more.

Gordon

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 8:32 AM

You mean Quirrel, hauksdottir (Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher). That's okay though, they've been going through them rather quickly at Hogwarts, so I understand your trouble in remembering. :) I agree, Houlong. I like mysteries, puzzles, intrigue, and anything that makes the brain work a little. Kids stuff or not, Rowling has provided me with many hours of second guessing and enjoyment. ;) Her characters are memorable and developing (which makes their experiences interesting). I'm nearly 40 y/o and have read Shakespeare, Doyle, Aristophanes, Euripides, Chaucer, Dickens, Twain, Russell, etc. Harry Potter is good, fun reading even at my age. steveshanks, CD or DVD would be exceptional then! I really appreciate your effort and my obligation to start creating the castle model will be sealed by receipt of your generous images and video. As for the general idea of reference requisition and acquisition, sounds fascinating. A really good idea for a forum. I can always use as many references to traditional Japanese items as possible. Currently, it usually involves purchasing the item (at extravagant prices) or wrenching what I can out of books. And I'm certain that I could help someone with guitars, an old (way old) Ford Tractor, a Harley Davidson Fat Boy, or whatever else I have that someone else doesn't for reference. IM me when your ready to send and I'll get you my mailing address.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 3:05 PM

um, i don't think she was saying harry potter was for kids. she was saying those items were.

Quote: But that's all the same Potter stuff for KIDS: tatty school gown, wand, glasses.... I would be interested in the robes worn by the teachers, though.

steveshanks ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 3:46 PM

Will do as soon as i have it burned, i would be very very interested in the Harley if you could get me side, front, and back shots that would be awesome as you can use the images to give the bike detail without making it huge with polygons, i'll grab a few straight on shots to texture the castle too BTW......i'm kicking myself over the japanese stuff the Louvre and the military museum in paris have a big samari (spelling?) collection but they are both in almost darkness and flash is banned so i took no pics,........i quite fancy doing some of the teachers stuff especially the last Dark arts teachers outfits, the dueling one especially, dare not think of it though the request list is to long LOL........Steve

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 11:55 PM

Thank you Cobaltdream for seeing what I meant. Steve... you might remember when a man's tailor was his key to success, and introductions had to be made to even get to be seen by the better ones. Despite today's unstructured outfits, it is obvious when somebody cares about the cut and drape of his clothing and the effect it makes. Not all of our Poser People are barbarians! Hmm... has anybody made a decent Brannaugh morph? Carolly

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2003 at 10:00 AM

Sorry about the misunderstanding, hauksdottir. I read yours and colored it with Huolong's. :) Thank you, Steve. I'll see about getting some photos of the Harley for you this weekend. Ah, do you mean Gilderoy Lockhart (Dart arts teachers outfits, the dueling one especially)?

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2003 at 9:40 PM

Yup. Gorgeous. So were his clothes. Carolly

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 1:15 PM

:) Well, at least he thought he was gorgeous. :)

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

steveshanks ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 2:30 PM

Got them all kuroyume0161 just sorting the video out for you ;o)...more soon...Steve

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 3:52 PM

Excellent! :) Once we exchange information, I'll write a CD with the Fat Boy photos and send it off. Do you want any detailing or just the orthographic views?

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

profotograf ( ) posted Sat, 05 March 2005 at 6:27 PM

file_72470.JPG

Did ANYONE ever DO anything about this thread???? I am currently hosting a Harry Potter image Challenge at my site MalePoserotica.com and am trying to find stuff for HP themes... Did ANYONE actually make ANYTHING for Harry Potter type renders???? My biggest problem is finding a Snow Owl, and Witchcraft/Wizarding stuff... I thought people were into this sort of stuff for decades, and now suddenly stuff like this is almost impossible to find. I am teaching myself Rhino 3D just so I can create my own stuff for these reasons, however, its ashame I cannot find a single thing for Harry Potter renders... Can anyone help??? Greetings, Antonio

Greetings from Germany
ProFotograf

My PoserAddicts

slinger ( ) posted Sun, 06 March 2005 at 8:18 PM · edited Sun, 06 March 2005 at 8:23 PM

I knocked this out very quickly for someone a while ago. You're welcome to it if it'll suit :)
nimbus_th.jpg

DOWNLOAD

Actually, if anyone's interested, I did a whole series that's collected here in "Harry Putter and the Gallery of Libel"

You can sorta guess it's not exactly serious. ;)

Gallery Link

Message edited on: 03/06/2005 20:23

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.