Tue, Oct 22, 3:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Why don't the textures load? why only reflection maps are loading?

cristihp ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2003 at 1:38 PM · edited Fri, 16 August 2024 at 10:52 PM

I've just made a motorcycle character, and edited the materials in the cr2. Everything went fine, the figure and the textures load and render perfectly, but only on my computer. I'm using Win98 SE and Poser 4.03. I had someone to test my motorcycle and the only textures loaded were the reflection maps. No color texture or bumpmaps were loading. All the textures, reflection maps and bump maps are in the runtime/textures/motorcycle folder.I also use a .bum file, in the textures folder.The textures are in jpg format, only the bump map is provided as a .bum. The tester uses Poser Pro Pack and Windows XP. He gets no error messages, and in the material editor, where it should be "texturename.jpg" is "None", like the material was modified or something. It looks like the texture calls in the cr2 aren't taken into consideration... what should i do?

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2003 at 1:42 PM

In what format did you transfer the file?

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

cristihp ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2003 at 2:12 PM

The file is in zip format, after extracting, everything lands in the correct location. The textures are jpg's the reflections are also jpg's and the bump map is a .bum. The figure is a cr2.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2003 at 2:23 PM

ProPack can't use the .bum file format ..

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2003 at 2:58 PM

Make sure your texture paths read textureMap ":runtime:textures:foldername:texname.jpg" and not textureMap ":C:/CuriousLabs/Runtime:textures:foldername:texname.jpg" or any other strange path. Also, when you add a tex within Poser, it adds the line 0 0 after the texture path. If you didn't add this line in the cr2, it could cause problems in other versions of Poser. Here's what a full material block should look like. material back_wall { KdColor 1 1 1 1 KaColor 0 0 0 1 KsColor 0 0 0 1 TextureColor 1 1 1 1 NsExponent 100 tMin 0 tMax 0 tExpo 0 bumpStrength 1 ksIgnoreTexture 0 reflectThruLights 1 reflectThruKd 0 textureMap ":runtime:textures:room creator:macpaper01.jpg" 0 0 bumpMap NO_MAP reflectionMap NO_MAP transparencyMap NO_MAP ReflectionColor 1 1 1 1 reflectionStrength 1 } mac

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2003 at 9:06 PM

Actually, Pro Pack CAN and does use .bum file format. It just won't CONVERT from .jpg to .bum format. Kate

bnetta ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2003 at 10:38 PM

i run poser4 w/98 and it does that all the time with items... it will say none.. but, when you click on the arrow its listed. just not picked,for some reason.lol check to see if this is the case. netta

www.oodlesdoodles.com

cristihp ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2003 at 4:15 AM

maclean, what's the meaning of those "0 0" after the lines with texture calls? Indeed, I have "0 0" only after reflection maps calls, but not after texture or bumps calls... And the only ones that load are the reflection maps!!!! I don't use any strange paths, and as a tip, you can also use something like ":foldername:texturename.jpg" instead of a "runtime:textures:foldername:texturename.jpg". It works. anyway, what's the meaning?

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2003 at 11:01 AM

I'm not sure what the meaning of the "0 0" is but I do know that if you are using ProPack, they MUST be there or the textures won't load. But it's fairly easy to add them using a text editor. Looks like you've found the basic problem.

maclean ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2003 at 2:38 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=10139&Form.ShowMessage=1358917

For all, Here's a link to the thread where I asked about the 0 0 lines. Basically, they *appear* to be displacement coordinates, but there's some doubt, because on Macs, they have a different function. But they are definitely needed for Poser 5. Pixel Magic, I IM'd a reply, but didn't save it, so I can't copy/paste it here. But for anyone else who's interested, here the short version. When distributing anything, free or for sale, you should remember that there are 3 versions of Poser - 4.03, Prop Pack and Poser 5. Plus PC users and Mac users. So... If... and ONLY IF... a texture is applied to a material, Poser will add the double-zero line after the texture path. This applies to tex maps, reflection and bump maps. If there's a map, there's a 0 0 after it, No map, no 0 0. No matter what the double-zero does, one thing that's sure is that in some versions of poser, if it ain't there, problems ensue. So when uploading anything for public use, it's best to stick with the crowd and do things the way they should be done. A non-standard MAT format may work on YOUR machine, but not on someone else's. If you add materials within Poser, Poser will insert the 0 0 line. But if you're using notepad or a text editor, make sure you add these lines. The same applies to texture paths. ":foldername:texturename.jpg" may be OK on your computer, but what about the person out there who has Poser on Drive E instead of C? It's always better to specify Runtime otherwise Poser may search an entire hard drive looking for that foldername. The same applies to "C:Program FilesCurious LabsPoser4Runtimetextures, etc. This is too specific. If Poser is on Drive D or E, this path will NOT work. Hope this helps. mac

maclean ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2003 at 2:42 PM

Attached Link: )http://www.silverleifstudios.com/MATTut.htm

Here's another link, this time to the best MAT making tutorial I've seen. mac

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.