Sat, Sep 21, 11:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 11:15 am)

Subject: POSER CHROME.. ? can it be done...?

soulstripper ( ) posted Thu, 20 July 2000 at 12:22 PM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:23 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_130416.jpg

here is a test image i have been working on.. in an earlier post i taked about my clothing problems... now i want to know how to make chrome for this bike, without exporting it to bryce. i can make the colored chrome and it looks pretty nice but i want to make silver chrome and need some ideas from yawl.. please help.. i am kinda new to this and this is still a test image so wall textures will be changed later..

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Thu, 20 July 2000 at 12:32 PM

You can fake chrome in Poser, but it's not great at this. You need a medium gray item color, a silvery texture map, a white or light gray highlight color, a light gray reflection color, and the silver reflection map that comes with P4. The results are not the best, but they are close.

soulstripper ( ) posted Thu, 20 July 2000 at 1:04 PM

umm that sounds like i need to find a few things.. any idea where i can get my hands on that good stuff.. :)

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Thu, 20 July 2000 at 1:50 PM

Which stuff? What paint program do you have? You can fake metallic colors on the template with some - and some (like Alien Skin's Eye Candy) have filters to add these in. In the Poser4 directory, there should be a Relection Maps directory with GoldRefl.pct and SilverRefl.pct. The color settings I listed are part of the Texture Editor in Poser.

soulstripper ( ) posted Thu, 20 July 2000 at 3:38 PM

i have photoshop and paint shop pro and bryce.. ok i understand now that i can use a reflection map. and i can use color settings in the texture editor... but i am unsure about what to do with a silver texture map. do i assign the silver texture to the parts i want chrome..? if i apply the silver texture map, why would i need to change the materials color...? i am still kinda learning about textures and maps and file types, its kinda overwelming if you never used anything like this before. so mucho thanks for the help.. it helped alot..

darhorn ( ) posted Thu, 20 July 2000 at 5:57 PM

What you need to do to get a good looking chrome... and this works pretty good for bikes, is to set the material to no texture map, and use the silver tex map in the reflection map drop down.. to get different colors you just change the materials color... for example, the chrome on the bike can be a light gray with a black as the highlight, while the gas take and other bike pieces can be set to a red.. I have had much better results with chrome reflection maps when I changed them to grayscale first... take a look here: http://www.hunyes.com/pages/char14.html BioMeckanix Bikes are set up in this way and I have gotten pretty nice results with them, though not nearly as good as what you can get in Carrara..

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.