Wed, Oct 23, 9:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Photoshop book for a beginner?

zarth ( ) posted Wed, 03 September 2003 at 7:09 PM · edited Wed, 23 October 2024 at 9:18 PM

I usually loiter at the Rhino forum, but thought I'd ask the experts on this one. Just got PS7 at work and need a simple beginners book to learn the basics. Any recommendations? Or, is there a good beginner's tutorial on the 'net somewhere? thanks

Jojo66 ( ) posted Wed, 03 September 2003 at 9:09 PM

Try photoshop 7 By Gary David Bouton

retrocity ( ) posted Wed, 03 September 2003 at 9:28 PM

Any of the Visual Start or Teach Yourself in 24hrs type books are good for beginning in PS. They are basically the manual with a lot more pictures ;)

The "24hr" book lets you "build" on each chapter. This is great if you're starting out and want to learn the program but it's not so great if you jump around or are looking for a specific effect or method.

there's also the forum here... we're usually pretty "pleasent" and rather helpful...

just pop-in with a question if there is something you don't understand in either the manual, or any book and we'll do our best to decifer it for you.

:)
retrocity

p.s. nice to have you around forum, stop by any time, we're always open!

zarth ( ) posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 6:44 AM

I'm in early today with manual in front of me. Beware my newbie questions. thanks, randy

Cookienose ( ) posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 7:55 AM

The "Adobe Photoshop 7 Classroom in a Book" is also pretty good, especially if you learn better by doing something than just reading. The "Photoshop 7 Wow!" (actually that whole series of books) is also great as you get more experienced. Have fun!

zarth ( ) posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 9:22 AM

Bouton's book is on order and I'm going through the manual this morning. I'm impressed so far. First question: PSP has a nice screen screen capture utility. Does PS have something similiar? thx

Cookienose ( ) posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 11:15 AM

As far as I know, PS doesn't have a screen capture utility. (Still using PS 6 here). There are a number of free or shareware utilities about the net that work great.

dreamer101 ( ) posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 11:42 AM

Unfortunately, it doesn't but you can still do a Print Screen and paste into a new document in Photoshop. I end up using the Corel Capture program which I can customize more easily.

Odiemance ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2003 at 11:21 AM

Peachpit Press has the best Photoshop book I've ever seen. Thier WOW series books are as graphic as they come, and contain a CD of free content! Check Barnes and Noble.com and E-Bay.com for used copies cheap!

brainworks ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2003 at 10:00 AM

you can try www.photoshoproadmap.com they also have lots of tutorials there for all levels

bonestructure ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2003 at 1:47 PM

I don't know if they still publish them, but the best in my opinion is REAL WORLD PHOTOSHOP. I have the book covering version 4, and I still refer to it simply because it has solid info and discussion on every aspect of the program, as well as discussions of graphics in general.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

bonestructure ( ) posted Tue, 09 September 2003 at 1:50 PM

Attached Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321115600/103-5218299-2223839?v=glance

I just checked and they are still being published. Amazon has Real World for both pshp 6 and 7. You can't go wrong with this one. It's flat out the best Photoshop book you can get.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

khharribob ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2003 at 9:39 AM

I would be grateful for any on-line links to e-books on pshop 5 limited edition, i won this on ebay and hav't a clue where to start, i don't understand layers and stuff, in fact i don't know anything about the software from start to finish, but would like to. Trying to follow tutorials is a nightmare, they all seem to be version higher than mine. Many thanks.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.