Tue, Oct 22, 1:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 12:41 am)

Subject: Misgivings

altfritz ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 7:07 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:13 AM

I know that V3 and M3 are improved meshes over earlier offerings, but I have misgivings over the marketing of these products. It seems to me that by splitting the morphs up Daz is able to increase the overall price of their product. In addition, many of the brokered products seem to require multiple morph sets so the actual cost of the product is quite high. ie. Product "x" + "Base" Morph Pack + "Head" Morph Pack + .... Does anyone else have this impression. It just seems to me that the costs are spiking and i'm not convince the spike is justified.

ronstuff ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 7:27 PM

With my PClub discounts I paid about $50 for everything - high res textures Head and body morphs - the whole lot. Tell me where in this entire world you can get anything like this for under $500 and maybe I'll sympathise with you. The question should be, considering that they have no real competition in this price range why should DAZ sell this for so little?

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 7:52 PM

Mike 2 is still $40...with no textures. The most you will pay right now for Mike3 is $60...not too bad considering M3 is much higher quality mesh. If you belong to the Platinum Club, like ronstuff said...only $50 for the whole shebang including hi res textures, both morph sets, and the base figure (m1/2 upgrade) Also, if you don't buy the body morphs, you can still use M3 with all the M2 clothing and textures...plus buy the head morph package for changing the noticeable part...the head... So all and all, considering what you're getting, the increased cost of everything, the M3 deal is pretty good... I will say that I thought the exact same thing when V3 came out, but if you really think about it, its not really too bad a price.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

BastBlack ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 8:25 PM

Actually, Mike 2 cost me more to buy. Even without the sale and the PC discount, Mike 3 is still $9 less than what I paid for Mike 2. I'm not in love with Injection Morphs or M3, -- that will take time, sculpting, and my own texture maps, but for me it's all about a better mesh for taking realistic poses instead all these narcissistic pinup poses and blank expressions. I want drama! Feeling! Personality! Maybe M3 has some spunk, we'll see. =) fyi, I'm pleased and impressed with what Daz is doing. And I have to agree with ronstuff, Daz has great prices for 3D. Take a trip to TurboSquid and see for yourself what kind of prices you would pay if it weren't for the Poser and Daz boom. bB

xoconostle ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 8:26 PM

"Does anyone else have this impression." No. This horse has been beaten to death many times over. The figure with all of its morphs included would be a preventatively large download, especially for those still on dial-up. The base mesh with body and head morphs, even with none of the considerable current discounts is still a bargain, considering the complexity of the product and the difficulty of creating such a thing. As further regards costs, not everyone can afford everything at once. Thus, buying, say, only the base mesh and head morphs right now, along with one of the $5.00 V3 Male textures by spectre3 (Renderosity MP) which someone recommended to me today would be a great and inexpensive way to start. There is no justifiable reason to have misgivings about the marketing of this high quality, reasonably priced product, unless you're unaware of all that's involved, or simply being unfair, sorry. If you have misgivings, forego purchase. Better yet, buy the components as you can, and enjoy. :-)

whbos ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 8:32 PM

With the Plat. Club, I paid $44.76 for the upgrade version, face and body morphs, and hi-res textures. I also had a $5 coupon or something in my account which I have no idea where that came from. I think it is fairly reasonable considering the cost of things these days especially anything 3D. The club discounts really help considering I don't have a lot of money to spend either. I think the purpose of the separate packs is to keep the files small and only apply what you need which I like better. Vicky and Mike 2 had all morphs applied when you opened them and when I had a slower computer it took forever. I couldn't use V3 at all then.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

melanie ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 9:31 PM

Wow, the prices for Platinum Club members is good to hear. I can't wait to get him. I have to wait until the weekend, due to download time. Melanie

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 9:32 PM
Online Now!

You get a $5 voucher each month with the Platinum Club. (It's a new feature, which may be why you never noticed it before.) The vouchers cannot be saved; you have to spend them that month. Daz's way of luring us to make at least one purchase each month. :-)

DominiqueB ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 10:18 PM

The injection system is brilliant IMHO, you use what you need and keep an optimised file that way. The CR2 file of the figure with all the morphs is a whopping 71 megs, and that doesn't include the weight of the obj mesh itself, no textures...nada. You have to have a pretty powerful system to be able to push that figure, plus textures, plus clothes, plus props etc... The injection system makes it possible to use such sophisticated figures on lesser systems. It demands a little more effort on our part, and yes, it is an awful lot of icons to go through to find what you need and it bloats the Pose folder. Daz is giving us a movie quality model at an affordable price, something that was unheard of just a few years ago.

Dominique Digital Cats Media

dante ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 10:34 PM

I have to agree that its a good price even for me on a south american diet...you should see the prices View Point charges for a 3ds mesh...they have a hires skeleton for about US$ 5000,00...er, Im not kiding, I have the catalog. A simple meteor mesh is about 40 bucks...well, its an old catalog, I dont know if theyre prices have come down...but all in all DAZ does what every software company should do...good prices for a quality product...the best way to keep buccaneers at large. I for one...dont complain...Im pretty happy with M2...and have done some decent stuff with it...but if M3 is better and delievers...Ill tell you, Ill be mighty happy with it...as soon as my pockets get a whiff of the old uncle Sams green ones... Cheers

lobo75 ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2003 at 1:12 AM

XO, i got a M3 texture for you if you want it. Just finished it today.

shadowcat ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2003 at 1:18 AM

I think that the term "required products" is really misleading at the daz site. You do NOT need to buy every item listed there in order to use said item. for example I bought the V3 cloak and I don't have V3, but I do use the cloak on other figures. All the required items are other items DAZ sells that match up with the first. If I ever did buy V3 or if they made a lo-res version with the improved joints, I probably wouldn't buy the body morphs as I rarely ever morph the body and the clothes can easily be stripped of their morphs in morph manager. (I'll admit my computer is a clunker) get what you'll use, ignore the rest

Mesh_Magick ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2003 at 2:13 AM

Oh but you paid to get your discount honey so add the price of sigining up to the price club to your figures.

Phantast ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2003 at 5:02 AM

I think the pricing is fair enough. The thing I don't like is the rash of extra folders the injection system generates, which is a pain in P4. Also, names beginning with ! should be outlawed. Otherwise everyone will jump on the bandwagon and we'll get folder names like !!!!Michael4 to try and beat the rest to top of the heap.

Jackson ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2003 at 6:36 AM

Who do they think they are trying to make a decent profit off their excellent products? Seriously though, I've seen a basketball on another site costing more than $60 (don't think it even had morphs). Daz isn't cheating us, they aren't being sneaky, so let 'em make a buck. The more the better I say, so they can put more resources into Daz Studio.

Caly ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2003 at 10:01 AM

The prices are excellent, what else can I say? The Platinum Club really helps too- it more than makes up for the joining fee. Heck, with the initial downloads, I think I got double the amount back of what I paid to join right off the bat.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

BastBlack ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2003 at 10:34 AM

Okay, I have to add to what I said yesterday about Injection Morphs in the Pose Library. One thing that is nice, VERY nice about it, is seeing a preview of what the morph is instead of having to spin the dial first just to see what it does. I like that, it's a real time saver. I didn't get much time to play with M3 last night, and I did have some problems with the mesh (more on that later) but I think the Injection Poses weren't as terrible to deal with as I thought they would be. So maybe I'll be changing my mind on that count. But I'm still not liking M3's looks. You can tell M3 is not build from the ground up on male figure. He is bizarre looking in the chest, albeit not nearly as deformed as V3Male's chest is. His face is kinda strange too but I can't really can't tell you way. Maybe it's the brow. His brow is too high for a man, it should be lower. And his chin is bizarre looking to me too. It's so round. His lips are very very strange too now that I think of it. What man has lips like that? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE full lips on a man, but there some kind of a subtle difference in the lips that tells the viewer whether the lips are masculine or feminine. I couldn't explain how, but I know it when I see it. anyhoo, those are my 2 cents for the day. bB

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.