Sat, Sep 21, 6:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Image sizes for Print

Toad ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2000 at 4:51 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:27 PM

When outputting an image in tif format from Bryce 4, it comes to be a total of around 60 mb. This is at 300 dpi. I weas told to do this for printing, and that if i outputted at this A3 size and at 300 dpi, the guy could increase the image to A2 size and print it at 600 dpi. My question is that they would be increasing not only the size of the image, but the resolution also... Is this possible? They also wanted me to have my image in photoshop at 300 dpi with a file of less than 20.7 mb. As bryce outputs a .tif at around 60 mb, my second question is if this is also possible (cramming a 60 mb tif image into a 20.7 mb photoshop file)...... Thanks if you can help!! =)

jstawarz2 ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2000 at 6:41 AM

It's just resampling. From what I understand, it's not only possible, but readily doable in Photoshop/photoeditor of choice. The only drawback is that doing this, the computer will have to interpolate the missing pixels and it MAY not get them the same way that you would if you rendered at that greater size. Remember, if you have to, you can render to disk with the appropriate dimensions to get the 600 DPI @ A2 size (what, slightly larger than 8.5"w x 11"h? Maybe 8.5 x 11.5/12? At 600 dpi that would be ... 5100 (width) by 6900(height, if 11.5", 7200, if 12"). It's a bummer trying to convert European paper dimensions to dpi ... :P Bryce WILL render at those sizes, but only if you render to disk. Now, mind you, this file will be HUGE! As for the difference between a .TIF and a .PSD and file sizes, it's all in how the data for the image is stored. From what I understand, the .PSD is actually a decent format to store images in long term. Supports layers, tranparency, yadda yadda yadda. It's conceivable that the .PSD for a particular image could be 1/3 the .TIF as the .TIF format (usually, it does support it) not use compression. FWIW, YMMV. HTH, John

jstawarz2 ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2000 at 7:33 AM

A couple of notes about render to disk. You are forced into the same aspect ratio's that you have setup for the document as a whole. Also, you render straight to a Photoshop 3 PSD file. That's a little helpful, I think. Don't know what Adobe change (in the file structure) between version 3 and version 5 (or 5.5 for that matter ... :) HTH, John

Spike ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2000 at 10:36 AM

Yes as jstawarz2 said; Render to disk as a psd. One of the cool things about Bryce4 is it will do the math for you. When you render to disk it shows you the math.

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

lilmikee ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2000 at 3:42 PM

I just rendered to disk an image for a poster at 600 dpi 24x36. Although you actually only need 300 dpi for print I wanted to make it even crisper since it will be so large. The result was great, as was said Bryce does the math for you and although it took me 2 days to render to disk that particular image size, the outcome was well worth it. It's always better to render at the required size or larger because let's face it you can always scale down but you can't scale up.

lilmikee ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2000 at 3:43 PM

I just rendered to disk an image for a poster at 600 dpi 24x36. Although you actually only need 300 dpi for print I wanted to make it even crisper since it will be so large. The result was great, as was said Bryce does the math for you and although it took me 2 days to render to disk that particular image size, the outcome was well worth it. It's always better to render at the required size or larger because let's face it you can always scale down but you can't scale up. Michael =)

JWMalibu ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2000 at 5:45 PM

So what is the final word in regard to large poster format printing of Bryce images? A. Render to disk - is that a given? B. Best format - TIF or PSD or ??? C. Best DPI - is 300 crisp enough, or is 600 advised? D. 24"x36" took 2 days to render? As is 48 hours? Can you start/stop a render to disk like a normal render (dumb question, I know!) How fast was the machine? How big is the file - small enough to fit on a Zip disk? E. Best service bureau format to use...Canon Fiery, etc.. Thanks, lilmikee & others for your insights as to this subject...I'm looking forward getting some Brycework OFF the lil' screen and ON to some quality paper!

Spike ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2000 at 6:00 PM

A. Yes (this is the only way to get the higher dpi) but if you know how to do the math you can just render it X by X pixels. b. PSD c. 300 dpi is the standard. (150 for Dyesub printing). d. 24" X 36" at 300 dpi would be a 7200 X 10800 Pixel image. that could take a long time to render. 48 hours is not that long. e. If you your image is 13" X 19" or smaller I would use the Epson 1270. looks, feels and lasts like a photo. If you need larger, I would ask the print house for samples of there prints. I have seen some great work and some bad work come off the same model printer. So ask them for a sample of there work.

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

kits ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2000 at 3:46 PM

Don't let them palm you of with a 20mb image most decent printers will accept images on CD that are 100mb and over if they are in tiff or psd formats. Chris-S

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.