Sun, Sep 22, 4:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Questions, questions questions.

Sinv-jica ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2000 at 1:58 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:25 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity, violence

file_130640.jpg

#1 Does anyone know how I can run 2 operating systems on the same system. I want to install Windows NT onto my smaller 6 Gig HDD along with all my CG software. I want to know how I would have it so at start up I could choose which software to load up with. #2 I recently aquired a really wild thing, its a Dragons Skull, it had 3 horns and a great look, it is very realistic looking. What I want to know if there is a way to use digital pictures as textures for a 3D representation of this skull. The final Idea it to remake my desk area in Bryce.

bonestructure ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2000 at 5:06 AM

I'm not exactly sure how to do it, But I know you have to install the second operating system in a seperate partition, and then there's some way in win 98 to give you the option to boot to either OS. You might try (hope this is the right url) http://www.wininfo.com

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

jstawarz2 ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2000 at 7:37 AM

It's relatively easy to do. Just install NT and it automagically detects and sets up for Win98. It's not THAT rough ... Is there any particular reason why you would leave it running both? If you have questions/comments or just general attitudes in regards to this, please feel free to email me at jstawarz2@netzero.net

Sinv-jica ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2000 at 9:51 AM

well the reason is because I run games and I have another person that uses this computer. I know that CG software runs better under Windows NT, and if I could I would just switch over to in entirely, but then my roommate would have no clue what she is doing. Can I install Windows NT on my second HD and still have it detect Windows 98?

jstawarz2 ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2000 at 10:26 AM

Ah. That's a perfectly reasonable explanation. I can understand that. I'd load NT or Win2kPro at home, except the wife would be completely lost. As for loading NT on the second HD, it'll pick up Win98 with no problems. It will still require putting stuff on the boot drive (your C: drive) and that's how it picks up Win98. All in all, it's not that difficult. Just don't let it format the drives ... :) You may also want to think about NOT converting the drives to NTFS. If you do, they won't be accessible when you boot into Win98. Oh, one other question, is the drive current a FAT32 drive? NT 4 has (or had) a bit of a problem reading FAT32. I can't remember off the top of my head whether this was fixed in the later service packs or not. Too many sick kids in the house and not enough sleep will do WEIRD things to your memory. You ever get out of bed to go to the bathroom and get halfway there and forget what you got up to do? That's how my week's been ALL week.... :P John

bonestructure ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2000 at 7:47 PM

I believe I read a couple weeks ago that there was a sevice pack available to fix that problem

Sinv-jica ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2000 at 1:48 AM

ok, now where can I get Windows NT for free?

bonestructure ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2000 at 3:25 PM

You can't, not legally, and I couldn't even tell you where to get it illegally

jstawarz2 ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2000 at 4:00 PM

Windows NT Workstation 4.0 usually runs around $270 - $300 dollars. I've been getting it lately for less than that, but I've also been buying off of the GSA Schedule for the Federal Government (the Army actually, but who's keeping score? :) The average Joe off the street can't get it at the price that I have. The best thing to do in this case is to just suffer. The main advantage that WinNT offers is stability. And that's OS stability. If the apps like to crash (like RDS, for example) it's not going to help. It WILL help in that it wouldn't bring down the whole computer at the same time, but ... :P If you don't have the $300 to spare, I'd just stay with Win98. It's not THAT big an advantage. HTH, John

Sinv-jica ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2000 at 11:25 PM

Thats ok, my roommates dad said he'd sell me his copy for a few bucks, what a nice guy. Now I just have to make sure that on boot up it will ask if I want Windows NT or Win 98.

jstawarz2 ( ) posted Fri, 28 July 2000 at 4:49 PM

You don't have a choice in the matter. NT defaults to 2 options on a CLEAN boot (ie, reformatting the drive during setup). When you install over an existing operating system, it includes the existing operation system on the boot menu automatically. If not, there's an entry in the knowledge base on adding the MS-DOS boot and the Win98SE boot to the menu. It's not hard. Just make sure that you READ the screens before pressing any key. I remember the first couple times I installed it, I wasn't paying attention and it exploded in my face (one time almost literally, but that was the power surge that blew the power supply and almost all of the internal components) and I had to reinstall. Not too bad, since they were clean installs, but that could be disastrous at worst, time consuming at best when upgrading over a previous OS. One word of advice, BE CAREFUL!!! HTH, John

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.