Fri, Sep 20, 4:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:25 pm)

Subject: Poser4 and XP

3ddave44 ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2003 at 1:51 PM · edited Sun, 28 July 2024 at 2:59 AM

Hi -
Since I upgraded my machine to XPPro and brought my memory up to 256K (it might actually be a little more - I'm not at home to see...), I get more memory errors in Poser4 than I did with less memory and Windows98. I upped the Virtual Memory on the machine but as far as I can tell, it hasn't done much if anything. The errors I get are either a popup box telling me I'm running out of memory (a win popup, not the Poser popup) or I get the thing where the draw screen goes all white and you get a "ding" sound. The picture renders but not right from the wireframe view - the ding and the white are an indication of memory management taking place.

I also have PBooost1.4 running which could be adding to the memory woes - I don't know. I did have it on my old Win98 system but not for long enough to have noticed if I was having memory problems.

So, do any XPPro users with P4 have any suggestions or a Virtual Memory setting they find that works? Did anyone else have memory issues upon switching to XP?

Thanks
Dave

nornaddict ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2003 at 2:01 PM

If you can afford it bump up your memory even more, 256Mb (the k was a typo right?) is only just enough to run XP without adding poser to the mix.

nornaddict ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2003 at 2:04 PM

Attached Link: http://blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

ps check out this website for removing all the memory hogging "services" that Microsoft want you to run in the background, most are unnecessary unwelcome or just plain dangerous to have running.

Bobbie_Boucher ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2003 at 3:28 PM

Be careful on that Blackviper site. I followed some of his recommendations, and suddenly my modem wouldn't work. I reset the registry back to default, and the modem worked. You need to get at least 512MB of RAM for Poser.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2003 at 4:32 PM

Get yourself 1GB RAM, at least. Turn off all the Teletubbies XP stuff and go for a Windows classic look (it will save you some memory), then whack up your virtual RAM to 4 GB. Also, don't forget to defrag on a regular basis.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

DominiqueB ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2003 at 5:29 PM

Xp likes lots of memory, 256mgs is cutting it close, add to that the fact that a 3d application will bring a machine to it's knees and you have a recipe for trouble. I agree with Sam Therapy that 1GB would be better, more if you can. I have 2GB of ram on my XP pro box and it flies.

Dominique Digital Cats Media

Swade ( ) posted Wed, 24 September 2003 at 5:33 PM

Attached Link: http://www.curiouslabs.com/filemanager/download/46/Poser4MemoryUpdate.zip

Poser 4.0.3 Memory Updater The memory handling updater will allow Poser 4.0.3 users with greater than 1 GB of total memory (RAM + virtual memory = more than 1 GB.) to run normally. I had memory troubles as you are describing and downloaded this memory updater and my memory troubles vanished. Click on the link above to download the memory updater. Hope this helps.

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary, and those who don't. 

A whiner is about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 25 September 2003 at 3:13 AM

Er.. I am running Poser Pro pack JUST FINE on my 256Mb WinXp machine, thank you. WinXP doesn't need 256Mb "just to run". I usually have Poser, Photoshop, Outlook, Trillian and Max open at the same time. And it WORKS! And no it isn't slow or anything. I guess it depends on the processor as well. I have a 2Ghz prosessor. Running WindowsXP on a 386 is not recommended ;o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.