Fri, Sep 20, 7:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Adobe Announced the new version of Photoshop called Photoshop CS

retrocity ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2003 at 1:55 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:58 AM

Once you get past the weird name, youre going to love Photoshop 8 (opps! i mean Photoshop Creative Suite). I've been lookig over some of the new stuff, already put aside the upgrade fee! NAPP members should be seeing a special issue full of the new features in thier mailboxes soon (i already scouted out my mailbox)

here's Adobe's spin on Photoshop CS...

what do you guys think about it??

:)
retrocity

Intoccabile ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2003 at 5:02 PM

very nice starts drooling

dreamer101 ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2003 at 8:46 PM

Think the Standard Edition would be all I needed. Adobe could not improve GoLive enough for me to ever want that load of crap and I could live with the Acrobat I have.

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2003 at 2:29 AM

Apart from the text on a path (which will give us some more years of needless twirling text chiropracters love so much), I think it is more refining the app then really revolutionizing the way I will use it. I guess I will upgrade, professionally, but why call it creative suite? Do they really to expect all those Corel users will be mistaken? :-)

retrocity ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2003 at 8:15 AM

...but why call it creative suite?

I think it's a lame attempt to mimic MacroMedia's MX naming convention for their suite of apps.

... I think it is more refining the app...
i agree to a point, alot of the "new" features are geared towards photographers with a few tossed in for graphic artists.
The one feature i'm looking forward to is the Layer Comp, it's one that i've been doing a "workaround" for years (lately using the Layer Group feature).

anybody else???

retrocity

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2003 at 3:59 PM

Layer Comp, niiiiiice. Improved 16-bit, droooool! Customizable keyboard shortcuts, finally, thank god. Yup, gonna have to start saving my lunch money for the upgrade... But I also have to say, why the name Photoshop "CS"? Photoshop is just Photoshop, it's not really a "suite", since it includes the stuff it came with before. Ah, well, time to stop complaining and shake down the couch for quarters... AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

retrocity ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2003 at 4:18 PM

I have a feeling Adobe will start adding the "CS" to a number of other apps just like MacroMedia. I know Adobe packages PS with Illus, InDesign, and GoLive as well as a "video" package (PS, Premiere, AfterEffects...) so this may be the direction it's going.

I like the tighter integration, but hate to think i'd need to have them all to get the full benefit of the prog...

retrocity

willf ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2003 at 6:52 PM

The sea-change in this new release is the copy-protection that will be instituted. Perhaps the CS stands for "copy schemes".

retrocity ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2003 at 10:52 PM

Yea, i noticed they were following Microsoft's lead with "Product Activation" (at least for Windows now...).

While i have no problem with this, i do find it a bit of a pain to move apps to new systems. I recently went through a "round-and-round" when, instead of upgrading, i purchased a new system and gave my daughters my old one. I spent a bit of time talking with Customer Service Reps trying to move licenses over to the new sys.

...more of a "pain-in-the-butt" than anything!

retrocity

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2003 at 8:44 AM

If you are familiar with some of the - um - forceful exchanges in the Poser forum here then the product activation threads on the Adobe forums will make you feel right at home - particularly those on the InDesign and PS forums. Creative Studio comes in plain (standard) and fancy (pro) versions: PS, AI, ID are in both, plus Acrobat and GoLive in the big one, and a fancy "version management" utility which received a glowing write up in this morning's Guardian (London) but which I'm having trouble getting the full point of. The Studio packs don't include manuals for the applications, though the individual upgrades do, and if you buy a Studio pack you have to upgrade (if you decide to) to further Studio versions, not individual products on a pick-and-choose basis. Activation is like the Macromedia MX version - you can deactiviate when you want to move to another machine, so only dead hard disks or stolen systems should see you phoning support. You are also, I gather, allowed to activate up to eight times a year (at one-and-a-half month intervals, the way the XP activation resets after six months) which should cover all but the most unlucky.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2003 at 8:46 AM

Forgot to add: you are allowed to activate on one desktop and one laptop, the requirement being that you not use both at the same time (but there's no enforcement of that).

spaceboy ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2003 at 9:50 AM

Actually, im satisfied with 5.5

Newest versions are faster in some aspects, but creative? just type in somethin, use predefined textures and styles... oh dudes, wheres my sketchbook?

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 9:42 PM

Attached Link: http://www.dvformat.com/2003/09_sep/features/adobecs030929.htm

You kiddin? I think even PS 4.0 is still powerful. (depending on what all you need it for) Photoshop is great in that way (imo), that earlier versions still show their use and power. I think upgrading is just a choice in needing (or wanting) the new/expanded tools. *BTW - A 9 page article giving more details on the new CS suite - At the link.* AS

Gaussian ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 3:20 PM

Those who really know what Photoshop is all about will really welcome the expanded 16 functionality. It's something that professionals have asked for for years! Something else that most people don't know; the patch tool in CS will show you a preview in your selection, a great improvement. I'm really disappointed though that they didn't include non-destructive effect layers that was promised some months ago.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 05 October 2003 at 6:00 AM

The non-destructive filter layers were a rumour, rather than a promise. The view on the Adobe forum seemed to be that they were a misunderstanding of the (rather limited looking) filter gallery gizmo, but someone may have seen the "Photo filter" adjustment layers (which carry out colour shifts mimicking various camera lens filters) and jumped to the wrong conclusion. Or of course they may have been there in an early version but not ready in time.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 05 October 2003 at 6:47 PM

Yeah, the article at that link, says it doesn't mention all the new bells and whistles of the upcoming Photoshop, but why they wouldn't mention the non-destructive effect layers, would be beyond me. There is the Layer Comps feature (top of page 3), that's quite nice, but not exactly non-destructive effect layers, lol. Another little gizmo I like the sound of is the new Lens Blur, "which allows highlights in an image to take on the shape of a simulated lens aperture" (which is also called "Bokeh") and "also includes a set of Photo Filters for simulating the appearance of photographic lens filters". I use this stuff already in some of my post-processed renders. AgentSmith

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.