Fri, Sep 20, 8:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Help, my Vue4 is freezing all the time ! (Mac)

Astride ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 1:45 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 8:36 AM

Hello folks, Just bought Vue d'Esprit 4, installed it on my IMac 500 Mhz, 640 Mo RAM and downloaded the patches and updates. World lookd beautiful. I was very desapointed when it crashed after 10 minutes or so, and it keeps having problems, especially when I import .OBJ or Pz3. The object comes fine but everything freeze after a while especially when I manipulate the camera. So I reinstaled it from my external firewire drive to a partition of my main disc, but nothing changed. Somebody get an idea ???????? I'm so desapointed, sob.... Some info : -I use Mac OS X 10.2.8 -Vue is in a partition of my main disc and not in the "applications" folder -My graphic card is an ATI Radeon 128 (too small ? Never got problems with poser or Bryce.) Bye ! :)

gebe ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 2:43 AM

What patches and what updates exactly have you installed over Vue 4???

Astride ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 2:45 AM

I installed eveything which was avaible on eon site : 4.12 full patch and the poser thing...

gebe ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 2:48 AM

What is everyting?? Big error!! You should install Vue 4 and then update with the 4.12 FULL UPDATE patch. If you have also Poser 5, you can update with the 4.2 patch later, but it is a beta for the moment.

Astride ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 2:53 AM

It's not the 4.2b update, but the ressource file to localize textues in subfolders. Before installing 4.12, I couldn't even import Poser PZ3. I installed the 4.12...

gebe ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 3:00 AM

Mac behaving is a little special. Hopefully Walther (Wabe) reads this message to answer you. he is a Mac user. Guitta

wabe ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 3:00 AM

Well, my feeling is, that it has more to do with 10.2.8. Pretty new, you are the first one that i see using it (doesn't mean much). Could be that Vue 4 has difficulties in this field. Is OpenGL on or off? Try it with off! That helped a lot for some of us! It doesn't matter where you have placed the Vue folder. Not important. What is important is, that you don't use special characters in folder names that are dealing with Vue. Example: I named a folder "3D/Paint" (valid name on a Mac). Vue didn't found Poser lying in that folder, the installer crashed when i tried to install Vue there. Look after that as well. Again, switch OpenGL off!

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

Astride ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 3:10 AM

Ok, I will ! And I will ! And I give you the result, but I must go to work, now... So bad. Really thanks for helping !

entica ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 10:58 AM

For what it's worth: I'm using Vue 4 on a Dual G4/450 w/ 640mb's ram & OSX 10.2.8. I have it installed to the Applications directory and I use full on openGL. I've used it both with a Radeon 8500 & Radeon 7500. I have had virtually no problems. I have yet to have one single "freeze". I've had a couple of crashes related to doing things with the atmosphere, but overall the crashes are probably only about 1% or 2% of my Vue usage. Now, that being said... I'm just a straight up Vue user (for now). What that means: I don't import anything, I don't use Poser, I don't do animation. Is your iMac one of the older G3 models or one of the newer G4 models? This could easily be a G3 processor issue as it lacks altivec, etc. Considering it's 500mhz and you're using an ATI Rage 128, I'd assume it's one of the old iMacs that uses the G3. I think minimum specs for Vue 4 are a G4 processor (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It could also be something to do with your Video card not liking the latest OpenGL drivers from Apple? I'm not too sure... On a side note... have you tried out Terragen? I don't like pushing Terragen in the Vue forum but it works great on G3 processors and is rock solid stable. I use it on my 500mhz iBook all the time. Terragen isn't a Vue replacement but it's a lot of fun and magic in it's own way. E.

Astride ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 11:33 AM

Dear entica, I use Poser on my IMac and, even if it's a little slow, it works quite fine, and it's a demanding program. Some people told me the 10.2.8 is somehow unstable, what do you think about it ? Thanks for the Terragen tip, but I already get my Bryce 5 which is superstable. I'm thinking seriously about that G5... :/

entica ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 11:38 AM

Yeah, we all need G5's! Personally, I'm waiting for Rev2 of the G5's, which works out because it'll be half a year before I have enough money saved for one :P Good luck with getting Vue working! E.

Astride ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 1:00 PM

You are in the same situation as me... :) Worked for two hours without a crash using a variety of imported objects. Thanks for support.

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 6:50 PM

It sounds like an OpenGL issue. Rage 128 is definitely an old card. I'm pretty sure it needs at least a radeon or geforce. I've learned that whenever you get hard freezes in OSX it has to be low-level code and in this case that means openGL. Turn off fulll openGL acceleration in the vue options and see if the crashes go away. If they do that means you either need another card or you just need to see things in wirreframe. Try these things and maybe you can start having fun in Vue on the Mac. Scott

Astride ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 1:45 AM

I tried it and, at least, I could work without problems. Thanks !

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 1:53 AM

You're welcome - glad I could help you. Scott

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.