Sun, Oct 6, 12:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Forum message thread suggestion (AgentSmith)

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2003 at 10:06 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 12:24 PM

It could be just me but does anyone else get tired of after reading a particularly long thread, say with about 30 posts in it or more, then find themselves having to scroll endlessly all the way back up to the top of the thread to get back to the message forum? I just think that it would be a lot easier on the viewer to click another "Back to (New message forum)" link or a "Back to the top" of the thread button. Or am I missing something? How does everyone else feel about that? AgentSmith, your thoughts please.

electroglyph ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2003 at 10:29 PM

You are missing something. The word "top" at the bottom of this reply window takes you back to post number 1 of the current thread. The words "Read New Messages" reloads the bryce forum threads. Don't feel bad. I asked Clint who the merchant of the month was. It's in great big letters in the Merchant forum header. I read through it to click on Clint's email:) Just remember to think (and Read) outside the box.

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2003 at 11:26 PM

Electroglyph, have you tried clicking on "top"? Everytime I click on "top" at the bottom, below the "post reply" section, I get taken here;

http://www.renderosity.com/forums.ez

Not to the top of the thread.

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2003 at 11:43 PM

"Read new messages" is the one I was looking for, I just wasn't going all the way down to the very bottom, thanks. But lets say I did want to get to the top of thread from the bottom, there is no way of doing that without scrolling. Also, don't you think it ("top") would be better placed just above the "post reply" section instead of having to go to the very bottom?

Colette1 ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2003 at 11:44 PM

Yup. "Top" takes you to a whole different page.:)

amethyss ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2003 at 11:57 PM

Can they not just put in [ Back to Top ] without loading a new page.

Painting: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critic_____website

amethyss ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 12:00 AM

Hey it worked when i posted this.Maybe someone should just add that command every so often.I could

Painting: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critic_____website

tjohn ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 12:44 AM

If you will left-click and hold your mouse in the slider bar, the scroll is quick and automatic to the top of the page. At least with Internet Explorer.

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

tresamie ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 1:05 AM

I usually just hit the 'back' button on my browser, lol. Tres :)

Fractals will always amaze me!

MuddyGrub ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 1:22 AM

I always open a thread in a new window, then when I'm done I can just close the window. Right clicking a link brings up a menu for "Open in new window". Also, on the PC, you can hold down the Shift key and click a link to open into a new window.

amethyss ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 1:46 AM

One more addition.Go get Logitech MX500 Mouse.You will wonder how you ever surfed or did graphics without it.

Zhann ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 3:28 AM

Takes me back to the Forums main page.....

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

Zhann ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 3:32 AM

Yes, it's a simple coding anchor placed on each post that would allow you to go to the top of the thread. On some of the longer tuts on my second site I had an anchor every other paragraph, clic and bingo top of page...:)

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 3:46 AM

Actually, Quest, almost ALL new mice come with scroll wheels. You can set the scroll speed, and some of the cooler ones have acceleration control and analog sensitivity... But the MX500 IS a great mouse, too!

RodsArt ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 4:21 AM

The scroll wheel on logitechs can be clicked(an up/down arrow cursor appears) and you can move up or down super fast by moving the cursor to the top or bottom of the page.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

Ang25 ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 5:26 AM

What I would really like to be able to do is after reading a single thread be able to send that to the "mark as read" ones. Sometimes I fall behind on reading threads and only make it halfway thru before having to do other stuff. Not wanting to miss something I have to leave all the threads there. When I get back there's usually 20 more plus new stuff people have said on threads I already read, now I have to go back thru them all again. I really really wish I could "mark as read" each thread as I go along. Also, I sometimes don't want a particular thread to be marked. Sometimes it has a link or download that I want to check out later on. Am I missing something too (I hope)?

drawbridgep ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 5:43 AM

I tend to navigate using cursor keys. Home and end jump to the top and end (surprisingly), Does mean taking your hand off the mouse though. :-)

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

JC_01 ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 7:31 AM

php bulletin boards automatically tell you when you log in, by looking at an icon, which messages are read and which ones arent....while you can't say mark all as read, when you go to that thread, it automatically marks it as read. some can even tell you on a search type format, which exact messages are new since your last visit.. I'd imagine tho, for a site this large to not use php already, there must be something major that would not work well here for it.... personally tho, I like that style and format much better..wink.. Jen

electroglyph ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 8:03 AM

Regular keys on the keyboard also work without having to code the page. Home takes you back to the top of the page. End takes you to the bottom if you want to skip reading a long post again and just reply. Page up and page down moves one whatever your screen height is up or down the page.

mboncher ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 9:34 AM

If I want to get back to the top of a long page, I just hit the "Home" button on my keyboard and Poof! I'm there. And if I want to get to the bottom, I press "End". Works great for me. :c)

catlin_mc ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 11:52 AM

I don't have any real problems with navigating this site, and thanks guys for the tip on Home/End, I just tried it for the first time and it works a treat. The only thing that bugs me here is if you are looking for someone in the members list, it is in alphabetical order but I wish they would have a A-Z link that you just hit A and it takes you to all the names starting with A. Sometimes you go looking for someone and don't remember their exact name and then you have to go through the entire alphabet to find them. 8) Catlin

amethyss ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 12:04 PM

Oh Thanks "mboncher" I have never used those keys.Now I will.One day in my life I might just read some instructions.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 7:55 PM

I'll put this request in to the Admins, I know they have been reviewing forum requests as of late. AgentSmith

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Quest ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 8:43 PM

LOL...Well now I have all the keyboard shortcuts down pat but that doesn't change the fact that the "top" link still drops you off on another page and not at the top of the message thread as I would imagine it's designed to do. I'm not at all ready to go buy a mouse system unless someone here is offering to foot the bill :) and I'm quite happy with my Microsoft Intellimouse. Thanks AgentSmith!

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 9:03 PM

Yeah, that's the Top "Of The Forums". Some actually use that way of tracking the forums and the threads. Still, an illogical place for that link, since it should truly take you to the top of whatever page you're on... AS

tjohn ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 2:22 AM

I want a button that accelerates the speed I can view the Galleries on my slowwwww dial-up. :^)

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 05 October 2003 at 7:30 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/quickgallery.ez

Your wish is my command. (well, kinda) The link given is a way of viewing the galleries, that doesn't allow uploading. It's sorta a "read-only" way of viewing the galleries. Renderosity made this up a loooong time ago. I don't make any guarantees, but it may help somewhat in gallery viewing speeds. AgentSmith

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 05 October 2003 at 7:38 PM

Strangely enough, the "Quick View" galleries link will also allow you to view 30 thumbnails per page. So, even if it doesn't help you in speed, if you want more thumbnails per page, there ya go... AS

Quest ( ) posted Sun, 05 October 2003 at 10:09 PM

AgentSmith, there's one more thing I just discovered, when you click on "Read new messages" on the top of the first page, that is the page with post "1" on it, it brings right to the top of page 1. If you are reading, say on page 3 post number 68. and you click on "Read new messages" on the top of that page, you are brought back to the top of that page, page 3, but if you click on "Read new messages" at the bottom of page 3, you'll be taken all the way back to page 1.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 05 October 2003 at 11:03 PM

Lol, obviously a little screwy. Think the forum nav links need some dusting off. I'll forward the info. AS

catlin_mc ( ) posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 5:29 AM

It just adds to the fun of getting lost while navigating the site. You can end up in all sorts of wierd and wonderful places you've never been before. 8) Catlin

Quest ( ) posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 8:16 AM

LOL...Catlin, I do a pretty darn good job of getting lost on my own, thank you! :-D

JC_01 ( ) posted Mon, 06 October 2003 at 8:33 PM

here's maybe a suggestion...lol if it's not being done already that is.... perhaps, have the galleries based on a seperate server from the market and the forums, so browser by's in the galleries don't slow down sales or forums...or vice versa...???

catlin_mc ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2003 at 7:48 PM

That sounds far too simple to work Jen, 8) I think programmers try to make things as difficult as possible to keep us on our toes, or wits end, or something. lol 8D Catlin

JC_01 ( ) posted Tue, 07 October 2003 at 11:52 PM

LOL Catlin, uh huh!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.