Fri, Sep 20, 4:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:32 pm)

Subject: Poser 5 question about .rsr

sandoppe ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 11:23 AM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 1:05 PM

I notice that P5 seems to create .png files where they didn't exist before. Is it safe to go ahead and delte the .rsr files in the pose directories? How about elsewhere? If so, is there any .rsr that should not be deleted?

nornaddict ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 11:35 AM

It's pretty much safe to delete the rsr files in the runtime folders if there's already png files to replace them. It's normally fairly safe to delete any rsr files located in the Geometries folder tho :) But never ever delete any rsr files in the main poser directory specifically the Poser.rsr file, Poser will just refuse to load if you do.

Lyrra ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 12:11 PM

RSR files in the Libraries are thumbnail images for Poser 3/4 RSR files in geometries are automatically recreated pre-loading version of the models (more or less) In poser 5 those two places can be cleard of RSR's safely. BUT NOWHERE ELSE.

sandoppe ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 12:30 PM

Thanks :) I thought the ones in the library were primarily for p4. I would guess you should let P5 create the .png files before removing the .rsr files though. It does it automatically when you load the items for the first time. Getting rid of the "extra" .rsr info saves megabytes of space in the folders. As for the non-library files, I never mess with those :) I've never noticed any in the geometries folders and would probably just leave them alone. Thanks again for the feedback.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 2:31 PM

Actually Ockham made a python script for just that. It is most likely in Free Stuff. It checks for any RSR that has a corresponding ong and then delete the rsr if it finds the png :o) Very handy. And P5 does Phyton just fine :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 2:32 PM

Oh but... TAKE CARE not to delete the one called POSER.RSR, it's one of Poser's vital files. In fact I'll recommend you write protect that file!

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 2:32 PM

AFAIK, P5 doesn't use .rsrs for the Geometries at all. At least, that's what I've been told. Re the poser.rsr in the main folder (the one that goes with the .exe). I've found that a good idea is to right-click this file and change it's properties to 'read-only' instead of 'archive'. When Poser crashes, it often corrupts this file. If it's read-only, a crash can't affect it. mac

sandoppe ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 9:04 PM

I've been removing these blasted things all evening! I never delete anything.....save it all....just in case. Anyway....I'm just about done. Those little suckers take up a lot of space!

Kelderek ( ) posted Sun, 05 October 2003 at 10:11 AM

sandoppe, just a note: The png Poser 5 creates from the rsr in the library is not created when the item is loaded. It is created when you open that folder in the Poser library palette. Hence, you don't need to load every pose/item before deleting the rsr, just open that section in the library inside Poser and all png's are created.

sandoppe ( ) posted Sun, 05 October 2003 at 5:21 PM

Yes Kelderek.....I noted that. Thanks :)

simdragon ( ) posted Thu, 20 November 2003 at 8:08 AM

I have a question related to this. I'm using Poser 5, and doing my first lighting pak. I have a Poser 4 user betatesting it for me. The problem was not having the .rsr files in place of the .pngs so that Poser4 showed the thumbnail in the library instead of the shrugging image. How do I convert/what do I use to convert the .pngs to .rsrs? Thanks for any help you can offer!

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 20 November 2003 at 9:25 AM

Simdragon, Yarp's P3DOExplorer (here in free stuff) will convert pngs to rsrs for you (and reverse, should you ever need it) :o)

simdragon ( ) posted Thu, 20 November 2003 at 9:57 AM

Thank you, I'll go download it right now! :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.