Fri, Sep 20, 4:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:32 pm)

Subject: P5 library problems.

sacada ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 7:57 AM · edited Sat, 17 August 2024 at 4:35 PM

After a great shopping day in DAZ platinum, I went and installed everything and ended up with a very long Pose directory. I then went and decided to categorise everything. I did this by renaming and moving directories through windows. This did not upset P5 and everything worked OK until it came time to render. My system now hangs when I try to render M3 with a few clothes and hair. I have run Correct Reference, but it says that everything is OK. Anybody out there know a quick fix. Reinstalling everything is not an immediate choice :) .Thanks.

Djeser ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 8:00 AM

I'm thinking that something in P5 doesn't like the folders you created in Windows rather than from within Poser itself. Anyone knowledgable know if that would cause the render to hang?

Sgiathalaich

MeInOhio ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 8:29 AM

As long as you don't move the geometry folder or folders within the geometry folder (unless you edit the Cr2s to match where you move them), I don't think it matters. (You also have to leave the !DAZ folder at the top of the tree, i.e., wherever it puts it went you install to the default location. Can't remember exactly where that is. I organize the library folders all the time and I never have any problems. (Character, Pose, Props and face). Are you sure it's hanging. If you are using one of the hairs like Yann, they don't render so well with the firefly renderer. Try switching to the Poser4 renderer. (I think they still call it that in Poser5. Anyway, it's the other renderer.)

nornaddict ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 11:20 AM

If it was the obj files you'd get error messages when loading your figures. M3 is quite system intensive so having him clothes & hair in a scene will really push even the best machine add to that the textures for everything & you're really sailing close to the edge. You didn't give any system details so it's quite possible you're pushing your machine too far with everything you're loading, Win2k & XP seem to be the best versions to use P5 with as far as memory management goes. You might get away with it if you increase your swap file, I've set mine to 4Gb & poser seems happy enough with that. Another thing to think about though is the standard poser5 runtime, it's a good idea to not install anything in there as I've found Poser5 becomes unstable if you overload the runtime. Try seperating items from different sites or characters in their own runtime & link to them instead. One last thing :) seriously consider buying PBooost or P.O.O.P to help manage the folders, don't use explorer unless you're very brave :)

Djeser ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 1:05 PM

I thought P5 had it's own library management, that you could make sublibraries right in P5? I use PBooost religiously, but I'm using P4.

Sgiathalaich

Jaager ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 1:33 PM

P5 is liberal about some library organization. The geometry paths are relative, so you can have them either in P5 Runtime geometries or in the satellite Runtime geometries. If you keep the geometries in the main, the library files may be anywhere. The issue with readScript shows that P5 checks the main Runtime first, so it may be faster the keep all geometries there. Your problem may be with textures. They may either be relative, or absolute. You may have moved at texture to a satellite that has an absolute path, or, not moved one that has a relative path. The quick and dirty way to check this - open the library files in a text editor and follow the paths - especially the texture paths. See if things are where you have told Poser they are. Break down your scene. Render one item at a time and find the miscreant. Since texture paths tend to be saved by Poser as absolute - from the HD root - it is possible to have zero textures in any Runtime. Keep them all in the same separate folder - with lots of subfolders, to be sure. Even P4 and P5 together, will play nice with this setup. The main drawback I see- the horrendously long paths if you hand type MATposes or library files when organizing.

nornaddict ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 2:13 PM

It does Djeser but it never hurts to have help :) & I'm quite attached to PBooost even though I only use Poser5.

Djeser ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 2:26 PM

So...I don't understand why moving around stuff outside of Poser, and creating folders in Windows instead of Poser and renaming stuff isn't the problem, if Poser was working ok before that? Wouldn't Correct Reference find problems in the texture reference chain? It did when I used it on all my P4 libraries. I didn't realize PBooost would be helpful in P5, but it sure does save my life in P4!!

Sgiathalaich

nornaddict ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 2:42 PM

If there were any problems in the texture references CR would scream the news from the rooftops (in it's own way) so the problem has to be something else. If it was the geometries files the figures just wouldn't load without throwing up all sorts of messages & search requests so it can't be that either. Unless we're all getting too technical & it's something really simple like poser taking ages to work out how to render the lights so it's not really crashing at all. PBooost 1.4 can open edit & save compressed files which comes in very handy with Poser5 as you can compress everything :) What I do these days is install, run CR over it then compress it saving me loads of space on my harddrive.

MeInOhio ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 5:41 PM

But which hair was it? Neftis (probably not spelled right) makes the best hair, but I don't have much luck rendering them in Poser 5 with the firefly renderer. The renders appear to hang, but they are probably just taking an eternity.

sacada ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 5:41 PM

Thanks all for your feedback... I have now found the problem component. I decided to start removing things from the scene until it would not hang. It was found very quickly as I thought I would start with the hair (MeInOhio indicated it could be a problem) and it was the Mihai hair. Rendered fine after removing it. I shall investigate its potential to be moved and post back with the results, but in the meantime will just resintall it into its default location.

MeInOhio ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 5:41 PM

But which hair was it? Neftis (probably not spelled right) makes the best hair, but I don't have much luck rendering them in Poser 5 with the firefly renderer. The renders appear to hang, but they are probably just taking an eternity.

MeInOhio ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 5:47 PM

Neftis made this hair. Try rendering with the other renderer. It's renders ok when I chose the Poser 4 renderer (or what ever it is called). But it appears to hang when using the firefly. Probably just takes a long time. And I'm not patient.

sacada ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 6:04 PM

Its the DAZ Mihai hair. It has worked with the Poser4 renderer. I did give it a while with the firefly (walked away and came back) but it didn't happen. My specs are Dual Xeon 2.66 GHz with 2 Gig RAM, so that shouldn't be a problem. I have set it off and will go make a cuppa and see what happens.

sacada ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 6:08 PM

No... has stopped with 'Adding Objects'. Will sit outside in the morning sun and have my cuppa and then come back and see if it has moved...

sacada ( ) posted Sat, 04 October 2003 at 6:32 PM

... its hung, still 'Adding Objects' and poser screen is frozen.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 05 October 2003 at 6:09 AM

Yeah. I just tried too, same result. Seems Firefly doesn't llike the Mihai hair :o(

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.