Fri, Sep 20, 2:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Portrait Lighting

MrMichael ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2003 at 7:17 PM · edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 5:52 PM

I think that I would consider myself a beginner photographer. My first camera was a Canon AE-1 that I got back in January 2002, but I didn't know how to use it much at all until a year after that when I took a B&W photography class in college.

Now, I've had my Canon EOS 10D camera a little over a month and would like to start working with portrait photography.The main problem that I am facing, is how to get the lighting right.I cannot afford all of the basic lighting equipment used in a studio, so what's the next best option (maybe minimal equipment, but definately on a budget).

So far, I've preferred to use natural lighting, but getting enough light and maintaining fair contrast needs to be addressed.

AE-1 B&W (experiment with Technical Pan here, which didn't help sharpness and lighting situations):

GalleryThumb414366.jpg GalleryThumb415499.jpg

I utilized the built-in flash of the 10D for this portrait, but I know that it's far from perfect (wish I had more time on that location):

GalleryThumb503806.jpg

Not sure what to ask or how to start, so hopefully someone can help me out a little bit, or maybe someone's been through the same situation. I wish I had more examples, but I keep getting stumped on the lighting situations and so I don't ever get a chance to grab a friend for posing.

Misha883 ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2003 at 7:32 PM

It looks from your examples that you are not doing too badly. Welcome to the Forum! There was a portrait lighting tutorial in the resource area a while back (think it is still there...). Folks here have different styles, so I'm sure you'll get different answers. Using flash on the camera (in line with the lens) is usually fairly harsh, and does not do well in modeling shapes. With a built-in flash, I would try to use natural light as the main (brightest) light, and the flash as a "fill." Perhaps position the model with a window to the side. [The Canon manuals are usually pretty good at describing how to set up the flash as a fill light.] I like, BTW, your out of focus candles? in the third shot.

MrMichael ( ) posted Sun, 19 October 2003 at 10:02 PM

The background of the third picture was in a hotel. Lights were hanging straight down all around a tree in the lobby. I knew instantly that it'd make an awesome out-of-focus background. Just wish I had more time; this was the only shot I managed to get :( As for using a flash, the built-in flash is pretty much all I have for right now. I have a Canon Speedlight 199A that I used with my old AE-1, but I would have to play around in manual mode for that to work (not the best if you're limited on time for a good shot). Would that be worth checking out?

dbyrd ( ) posted Mon, 20 October 2003 at 5:19 PM

Attached Link: http://dbyrd.asouthernsecret.com/i-bank/00000JLlight.jpg

Here is a basic lighting set up that I use.

dbyrd ( ) posted Mon, 20 October 2003 at 5:21 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: http://dbyrd.asouthernsecret.com/i-bank/Lighting0004.jpg

Another with three lights.

MrMichael ( ) posted Mon, 20 October 2003 at 9:09 PM

What are the types of lights that you use in the setups?

DHolman ( ) posted Mon, 20 October 2003 at 10:46 PM

Michael - First question I'd ask is, what type of budget are you working with? That will help narrow down the kind of lighting you'll be able to do. Good thing is that with a DSLR, you have a huge range of options open because of the ability to dial in custom white balance. -=>Donald

MrMichael ( ) posted Mon, 20 October 2003 at 11:14 PM

Well, I'm looking for a basic setup to begin with, but one that can be expanded. I would just like a good idea of a price range, so I can start saving money (I've seen a basic setup kit for around $500). Not sure if I could afford much different than a one-light setup and reflectors, but I wouldn't know where to start with those and how to get great results just from one light and a reflector.

DHolman ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 4:45 AM

Cost will depend on what you want to get now and how upgradable you want it to be. If you are looking at hot lights (or continously on) or if you're looked to get strobes, etc. If you can specify a budget range for your initial setup, then it would be easier to suggest what you could get. -=>Donald

MrMichael ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 6:41 AM

I'd probably prefer to work with hot lights; I assume it'd be easier to see the lighting you're working with. I think something in the $500 range to start out with would work; hopefully that'll allow for a good amount of upradeability.

dbyrd ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 7:18 AM

Attached Link: Alien Bee

I would suggest getting good inexpensive studio lights as opposed to "Hot Lights". A realistic budget for "New" lights would be around $600. You may even be able to buy a used system complete for $300-$400. I shoot strictly with White Lightning products; I now use Alien Bee's. They are affordable, dependable, and work great with my digital cameras. Their internal slave system is superior to many systems costin five times as much. Check out their website attached.

MrMichael ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2003 at 11:06 PM

dbyrd, is there a system that you would recommend from Alien Bee? There's quite a nice selection of components there!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.