Fri, Sep 20, 9:59 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce Books?

TheAlex ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2003 at 6:10 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:52 AM

Attached Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1584500352/qid=1067122611/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-94859

I was thinking of purchasing "Advanced Bryce Creations: Photorealistic 3D Worlds" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1584500352/qid=1067122611/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-9485978-5712000?v=glance&s=books - the 8 story worlds that can be created sound useful, though the book has some terrible reviews on the link. Does anyone know if the book is worth buying? Would I get by doing the tutorials with just Bryce or would I need some of other software to 'handshake' with Bryce and get the best out of the book? Any thoughts appreciated. :)

Aldaron ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2003 at 6:28 PM

Just buy "Real World Bryce", it's the best book you can get to learn Bryce inside and out.

TheAlex ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2003 at 6:49 PM

Real World Bryce is over double the price of the other book, which is more than I'm willing to pay. If I could get it cheaper, does it have tutorials to follow for creating final scenes or is it more of a reference book?

dan whiteside ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2003 at 7:18 PM

I agree with Aldaron - if you're going to get one book it should be Real World Bryce. While mostly a reference, there's still more tutorials, tips and tricks then all the others combined! While it's more expensive it's also 977 pages and comes with a content CD. HTH; Dan

ringbearer ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2003 at 7:59 PM

Attached Link: http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1546628&domain_id=1856&meta_id=1

Go to half.com, they have several new and used copies, looks like very good prices. If you have a half price books store in your area, look there, I found a copy at the store in my area. Check your library, they may have a copy. Arleen

There are a lot of things worse than dying, being afraid all the time would be one.

My Gallery

jabbiati ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2003 at 8:18 PM

The book is for Bryce 4... is it applicable to Bryce 5?

Hepcatbrandon ( ) posted Sat, 25 October 2003 at 9:19 PM

yeah, really there is very little fundamental difference between the two programs which is why there isn't any RWB5. a great resource

Quest ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 12:58 AM

I agree with the others, RWB is most certainly the Bryce bible and no other book even comes close. Amazon also carries used books in good condition at reduced prices, see if those prices meet your expectations. Personally, I wouldn't spend my money on any other Bryce book. I believe that the only aspect of Bryce in which RWB can't help you with is the tree lab and metaballs. But all you need to know about that is already covered in the Bryce 5 manual and any other questions that need answers, you can ask here. Good luck!

Aldaron ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 1:49 AM

Attached Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/0201354381/all/ref=sr_pb_a/102-1999593-

Amazon has used books for $17 USD. That's where I bought mine, worth every penny and more. For metaballs and trees search the forum, the answers are there and if they aren't ask.

Ang25 ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 8:58 AM

I have both books and would have to agree with the above, don't bother with the first book. I hate to be negative but it uses the term "Photorealistic" in its title but none of the examples come close to photo realism in my opinion. I got my copies off Amazon as well and they were used and there wasn't a thing wrong with either book or disc so it was a pretty good deal for me. Just my 2 cents. Angela

catlin_mc ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 1:04 PM

Real World Bryce is "THE" only book that can really show you what Bryce is about. The tree lab and metaballs aren't covered but everything else is, and in great detail. I got my copy used from Amazon and the Disk that came with it hadn't even been opened. It is the only book I refer to when working with Bryce 'cos I've looked through others in book stores and they don't come close in quality or detail. Much of the theory behind the references can be applied to other 3D apps too. Stick with the best and you won't go wrong. 8) Catlin BTW, Susan Kitchens was talking about doing an update for Bryce 5 and was going to post it on her web site. I haven't been there for a while so I don't know if she's added it yet.

TheAlex ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 6:09 PM

I live in the UK myself, which perhaps makes it harder to come across such books over here. I aren't necessarily after photo-realism so what would be your opinions of the tutorials in "Advanced Bryce Creations..." in that case?

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 6:27 PM

Yeah, I had a heart-stopping moment at the used book store, found real world...ah dangit actually another program, for the loss of one word..;) There's supposedly a web site out there called ABE (American Bookseller's Exchange? I think), where you can connect with a world of used book sellers (now that's a scary thought..;) for almost any book you can think of.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

catlin_mc ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 7:21 PM

TheAlex I'm in the UK and it was a used book I got and at that time they had 3 of them for sale.

Aldaron ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 7:56 PM
Flak ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 8:24 PM

Yeah, I've seen the "photorealistic 3D" book you're looking at (I saw it in a clearance shop and left it there)... and well... he obviously uses a different definition to photo-realistic than I do. Go for the Susan Kitchen book, even if it might cost a bit more.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

hispeed ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 8:32 AM

What is everyone's oppinion on The Bryce 5 Handbook by Shamms Mortier?

Aldaron ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 8:59 AM

Don't get it, really the only useful book IS Real World Bryce

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.