Wed, Sep 18, 5:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / OT

Welcome to the OT Forum

(Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:07 am)

This forum is a place to relax, unwind,and
discuss topics which may not be appropriate for the other forums.

Remember to stick to discussing issues, not members.
Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

We want this forum to be enjoyable for everyone.
Please read and understand the TOS before posting.

Subject: OT - Question about ' Trance ' music

BabaLouie ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 3:54 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 7:15 AM

Hello all, About 4 or so weeks ago a couple of the members here wrote about listening to 'trance' music while they Bryced. I can not remember the name of the group that they mentioned. Sooooooo, if any of you have a favorite 'trance' artist, please let me know. :-) BabaLouie

Rochr ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 4:19 PM

Well, dont know about the other thread, but these are good: Mesh - Purple Haze Oceanlab - Beautiful together Push vs Globe - Tranceformation Everything with Chicane, York Some good mixes with Paul Oakenfold etc Just to name a few... :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Zhann ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 4:46 PM

Not necessarily trance but some I listen to; Higher intelligence Agency Mars Lasar Sounds from the Ground UttaraKuru Oystein Sevag Tangerine Dream

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

Rochr ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 4:57 PM

Tangerine dream... Livemiles is superb!

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Zhann ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 5:03 PM

Don't have it, but will check it out...one I like to listen to when doing textures is Seven Letters from Tibet.

miden1138 ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 5:37 PM

Zhann, Wow! Someone else who has heard of Mars Lasar! Everytime I ever mention him, I get nothing but blank stares. I was beginning to think that I was the only person that had ever heard of him.

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 6:15 PM

It's kinda techno..I dunno.. the neighbors only play rap, so that's what I 'listen' to..at work, there's no music, so..last time I listened to this stuff, it was Chemical Brothers, and the Orb..;) (not even close..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Zhann ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 6:18 PM

Yeah, he's one of my favorites, very unusal stuff there, the CDs I list to the most are '11th Hour' and 'Karma'..... for anyone one wanting to hear cuts from albums in my list http://www.marslasar.com http://www.waveformhq.com/catalog.html the waveform catalog has several artists and 2min soundbites of their work Oh yeah, great stuff from; Open Canvas A Positive Life Pentatonik Templeroy G.O.L. Snadoz

Nukeboy ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 6:52 PM

Tangerine Dream, Melrose or Sorcerer, definitely. Vangelis' Heaven and Hell, too.

BabaLouie ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 6:53 PM

Well, I am listening to Dreamland by Robert Miles as I type this. An excellent CD, all synth generated, good beat and good female vocals. It has a mello techno sound to it. I have some Tangerine Dreams, Oystein Sevag and Mars Lasar, all good artists. Had not heard the 'trance' style until today, really like it. I will take a look at the other artists that have been suggested. thanks to all for replying, BabaLouie

catlin_mc ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 7:50 PM

I'd never heard Mars Lasar before and I think I'll just have to go out and buy some of his work. 8)

ocddoug ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 8:18 PM

What the hell is "trance"? Never heard that term. I do like Tangergine Dream, don't have any of their CDs though.

unclebob ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 8:36 PM

I thought Tangerine Dream was jazz fusion. Trance is a kinda techno-fusion-ambient music. It is usually fast paced and high energy, great stuff to work out to, especially martial arts. I listen to molotov.bliss, stuff from Kosmic, Mental Floss, FTZ. Most of it can be had on the net, all legal and free.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 8:58 PM
Forum Moderator

YES - Tales from Topographic Oceans I've listened to it a thousand times and I still don't understand it..

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Ornlu ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 9:00 PM

Yeah, I think that was me telling catlin to listen to some, before I found out she did. I love trance, I have 35 gigs of trance in all. My favorite artist is Infected Mushroom. Some other good pieces are: Anything by Paul Oakenfold Astral Projection - Solid Electronics (especially the opening portion) Infected Mushroom - Dracul Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom

Nukeboy ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 9:20 PM

Hmm, I was thinking that "trance" was something that would get you into some sort of meditative mood. Something that would not make you "aware" of its existence. Something very techno or dominating would prevent you from thinking freely. I listen to TD, Vangelis (and, God help me, "New Age") because the music becomes a critical background to my thought processes... not the focus. I think that if you are aware of the music after five minutes, then it is not "trance", it's just good ol' music.

Ornlu ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 9:45 PM

Exactly, mainly I listen to trance in an attempt to zone out completely. It's just so all consuming that your brain actually becomes aware of nothing else in your physical environment. Thus you are able to focus completely on your creative process.

Ornlu ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 9:46 PM

Oh yeah, 'Infected Mushroom - Merlin' is phenomenal.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 10:02 PM

I think Ornlu is a trance head, ie. not quite there. lol 8D

Ornlu ( ) posted Sun, 26 October 2003 at 10:24 PM

No, trust me, I don't fit the average trance type person. I'm completely straight edge never even drank/touched a drug in my life. A lot of my friends do, and got me listening to trance, but I've never touched the stuff. I just happen to like this kind of music.

Zhann ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 12:28 AM

I like Vangelis' 'Oceanic' and 'Opera Savage' two of my favorites because it's not standard Vangelis stuff, on Oceanic 'Spanish Harbor' is my favorite, I could listen to that for hours.....Tangerine Dream has a wide range of music... 'Honest I didn't inhale....;]'

danamo ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 12:45 AM

These are my favorites to listen to, often late at night with just the computer monitor for light in the room. I know where everything is so I can get up and dance if the music moves me to do so.

1. Tribal Vision- Randi Roos 2. Deep Forest

2. Kraftwerk- especially some of their early work

3. Vangeles- "Original score to Bladerunner".

4. Cuzco- several great CDs

danamo ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 12:51 AM

Lol, Ornlu, you can't hide! We know what drugs you're really addicted to. Headroom and Bandwidth!

unityboxer ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 1:44 AM

PAUL VAN DYK,trance at its best.

AnneCHPostma ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 8:25 AM

I listen online to http://www.id-t.com, www.energydanceradio.com or to one of my DJ Tito cds (I allready listened to his music when he was just a simple DJ in Breda, The Netherlands ten years ago). I also have a lot of trance mp3's which I listen to. Tangerine Dream ... hmmm that's been a while back since I listened to them ! Maybe I'll start doing that soon :)

Dennisld ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 9:24 AM

Hi everybody, bit late on this thread but here's my twopennyworth anyway! Isn't trance a state of mind induced by magical incantation and isn't incantation a ritual recitation of magical words or sounds, in other words a 'chant'? And isn't chant another term for plainsong and the best known plainsong is Gregorian Chant. And that being the case look no further than the Coro de monjes del Monasterio Benedictino de Santo Domingo de Silos (viz. 'The Monks of Silos') I heartedly recommend Canto Gregoriano, a double CD, EMI Classic 5 65217 2 in Europe and CDMB 65217 in USA, you will find nothing better to Bryce by I assure you. Bye now........Dennis

Aeolius ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 9:43 AM

Zhann wrote: "I like Vangelis' 'Oceanic...'Spanish Harbor' is my favorite, I could listen to that for hours....." You should try 'Aquaria' by Diane Arkenstone, then.

Nukeboy ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 7:36 PM

I'm rather fond of "Die Tradition des Gregorianischen Chorals" by Archiv, tho I haven't heard Dennisld's suggestion. I haven't heard of "Diane" Arkenstone but I do have a few David Arkenstone (that "new age" stuff). One of my favorite collections is the Narada "Wilderness" collection... perfect music for those landscapes. I also have to say, although I need not, how impressed I am at the diversity of taste throughout this community, yet how many totally obscure things are shared by us all. When I speak of Gregorian chants or Vangelis (or even Tangerine Dream) around my home or work, I get a lot of blank looks! :-) And as for drugs, I think this kind of music is the drug and fortunately, it doesn't show up on the random test I keep getting!

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 11:16 PM

Tangerine Dream - yes - that is the music to Bryce to. Old stuff is best... the most trancelike. But it is all very Bryceable. Tangram - tangram set1 and tangram set2. Also LeParc, Canyon Dreams, and Underwater Sunlight. The rythmns just keep building and building and TDream is total trance music. You can't go wrong with this awesome German synth band. Scott

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 11:18 PM

Tangerine Dream - yes - that is the music to Bryce to. Old stuff is best... the most trancelike. But it is all very Bryceable. Tangram - tangram set1 and tangram set2. Also LeParc, Canyon Dreams, and Underwater Sunlight. The rythmns just keep building and building and TDream is total trance music. You can't go wrong with this awesome German synth band. Scott

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 11:21 PM

Lol r'osity speed sucks tonight - it made me post twice.

Nukeboy ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 5:35 PM

Hey, sometimes Tangerine Dream is worth a double post! I also like the sound track to "Thief". As a matter of fact, the sound track was so loud, I couldn't hear the dialog. Other great TD: Phaedra, Ricochet, Rubycon and Stratosfear. Another great Brycean piece is Saint-Saens Symphony no. 3 (the Organ Symphony) You can picture Jack-the-Ripper running through the streets...

BabaLouie ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 7:15 PM

Diane Arkenstone is the wife of David Arkenstone. David has done some great work, he used to be with the Narada label, don't know that he still is. I found the 'Trance' music last night in the Dance section at Borders and FYE. I can see that I will be spending quite a bit of money there in the near future. thanks, BabaLouie

BabaLouie ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 7:19 PM

Oh yeah, Ornlu .... I asked about Infected Mushroom at 3 different stores, each time the clerk did not know if I was insulting them or asking about a personal aliment. Probably not the best question to ask a woman I suppose. :-) What label do they record on ? thanks, BabaLouie

waffen ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 1:00 PM

I can't believe no one said anything 'bout listening: Delerium or Enigma ....just my .02 ;)

BabaLouie ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 6:18 PM

Yep... like Enigma a lot, have not heard Delerium though. BabaLouie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.