Fri, Sep 20, 3:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Is there a Freestuff Upload FAQ/tutorial/template available?

bilbo2_uk ( ) posted Sat, 01 November 2003 at 12:51 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 5:40 AM

Dear moderator,
I've made a simple 3ds max model with my own digitally photographed texture. I'd like to post my first free model, but I'm concerned on two fronts. How can I make sure that I include at least the minimum information required for someone to use it properly and all the necessary.
Is there a guide, FAQ or template available to help me set it up and save your valuable time checking a small file when there are many more to do. After all you proabbaly get sick of picking up the same mistakes all the time.
May I humbly suggest if there is such a file that you have a link in the upload area for us newbies.
Thank you.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2003 at 12:17 AM

No, we actually don't have a template for that, but something along those lines, sounds like a great idea... Offhand, I would suggest you include, in a text file, any important information on your model. Perhaps a way to contact you for any questions, comments. What program(s) they model will or might work in. Any copyright stipulations you want to make, etc. AgentSmith

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

bilbo2_uk ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2003 at 1:06 AM

That sounds like a worthwhile exercise for me to try. Maybe I'll trawl through some of the free downloads (especially the more prolific/popular ones) to see if their readme's have anything in common.
Maybe I can write a tutorial for newbie posters. I have seen a tutorial on writing tutorials so I'll start there.
I assume this would be a good place to post the (or rather post the link to the)first draft of any tutorial/FAQ/template in for comment/guidance. If there is some forum more appropriate please let me know. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Thank you.

bilbo2_uk ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2003 at 2:47 AM

file_82399.jpg

Dear AgentSmith, Please find attached my v1.0 of a txt file to use as a template for readme.txt to go with free download models/textures etc.

Let me know what you think.

Regards

Bilbo2_uk

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2003 at 8:31 PM

SO sorry about the delay in me replying. The recent site weirdness have kept me pretty much completely out of the site for the past days. I have read your text file and it looks great, in fact I just approved it from the pending area in freestuff, so now it is available for download! Thanks so much for this, it's bound to help a lot of people out. ;oD AgentSmith

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

bilbo2_uk ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2003 at 11:25 PM

Thanks AgentSmith,

I've already thought of one slight tweak to the 'included file' labels/descriptions. If, as I propose to add to readme.text template v1.1, the modeller includes the thumbnail image in the files, add the maximum file size,types and dimensions to the template description as a gentle reminder of what is accepted.

Depending on my progress, now that I've uploaded a few pics and models, I will try to write a printer friendly and colourful tutorial on the basics of uploading by the weekend. I assume it would be acceptable to Renderosity and common sense to point them at your TOS page first?

Regards

Bilbo2_uk

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.