Sat, Sep 21, 12:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Which negatives?

3DGuy ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2003 at 2:58 PM ยท edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 9:37 PM

In Januari I'll be taking a 21 day camp and drive through Autralia. Ofcourse I'll be taking my camera's, but I'm wondering which negatives to take. Until now I've always used Kodak Gold (100 for outside, 400 for low light situations) film. I like the warm colors it gives me, but I'm wondering if there isn't anything better. Or does it just come down to personal tastes? Just curious what the rest of you think :)

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

PalmerPolanski ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2003 at 3:53 PM

I would use Kodak 400 NC for everything . Palmer

Misha883 ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2003 at 4:29 PM

That depends on so many things! I'd say, use whatever you are most experienced with. Predictibility is a great virtue when taking an adventure like this. I like color negative materials, (though some have very valid opinions otherwise). Kodak Gold is not bad stuff! Refrigeration may be problematic on a trip like this, so I'd personally stay with a "consumer" material rather than a "professional." I'd also think about getting the processing locally, avoiding the airport X-Rays. [Anyone have experiences to relate?] Sounds like fun. Can we come along?

3DGuy ( ) posted Sun, 02 November 2003 at 5:39 PM

Refrigeration doesn't have to be a problem. The 4x4 we rented has a fridge with it :) I've never seen bad effects due to X-ray machines though. Maybe because they don't use very strong x-rays these days? Getting it processed locally maybe a problem since we're probably constantly on the move (from Darwin to Perth) What's the difference between 'professional' and 'consumer' films anway? Finer grain, but for that it's more susceptable to temperatures? Anyone care to shed some light on that subject? I do think I'm sticking with the Kodak film since that's the stuff I'm used to so I know pretty much what it does under which circumstances. But it would be nice to experiment with say a Fuji film.

Michelle A. ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2003 at 8:32 AM

The walk thru machines are OK if you put your film in a carry on it will be fine..... what you don't want to do is pack your film in a suitcase that is being checked in. There are warning signs in most airports these day that do tell you your film will get damaged. And I've read many articles that say it will get fogged up and damaged... why take the chance? Just put it in a carry on.

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

3DGuy ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2003 at 10:43 AM

Oh I NEVER put my photoequipment in my suitcase. Always carry-on, and that includes my films (exposed and not exposed). I can't imagine anyone putting their camera through the torture of airline luggage systems :) I guess I'm set then to go on holiday :p the long wait begins :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.