Thu, Sep 19, 5:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Challenge Arena

Welcome to the Challenge Arena Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Challenge Arena F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 2:48 pm)

Welcome to the

Challenge Arena

This forum is dedicated to learning, creating and pushing yourself to meet the
challenges that have been posted by other members of Renderosity.

Hope to see you here!

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: November Challenge!

tresamie ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2003 at 9:16 PM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 7:09 PM

You have been given a mission, should you choose to accept it! Design a cover for the paperback publication of your favorite book! It could be a SF novel, a mathematics text, even a book of poetry. Choose any medium, including photography; pencil or paint; fractals or poser. You can choose to design the complete cover, including text or just the background illustration. Your entry should be in 'portrait' format, so as to conform to the book cover shape and size, and since we are limited to 600w x 800h pixels in this forum, those will be the largest dimensions. The challenge deadline will be 10:00 pm Renderosity time on Tuesday, November 25, 2003, with voting from that time until 10:00 pm on Friday, November 28, 2003. Winner will be announced on Saturday, November 29, 2003. Best of luck to all. ~Stotty and tresamie~

Fractals will always amaze me!

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 03 November 2003 at 11:16 PM

Neat challenge! There should be some fun results from this one. :)

Pyrographer ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 4:36 AM

Oh man, this is gonna be great!!!!! Should it be an existing novel that we're re-doing the cover for or a novel that's totally made up, should the author be known? If you're taking suggestions, I'd love to re-do a cover for an existing novel or 20. :)

Pyrographer ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 5:12 AM

Attached Link: My favorite book.

file_82778.jpg

Ok, my entry... Two versions of it, the link will take you to the cover art not applied to the book object in 3D.

Knot4u ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 10:59 PM

file_82779.jpg

My entry for this one.Thanks this was really a fun challenge. Cant wait to see all the others.

Pyrographer ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 6:23 AM

Excellent, another favorite, my best friend's favorite book by far, he loves that book. I was actually going to do a Spider Robinson cover, close to Heinlein eh? :)

Azha ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 6:48 AM

file_82780.jpg

This began as a piece for the 2D forum's monthly theme, but I wandered here and couldn't resist the challenge. I know it's not Sci fi but it is one of my favorites. Hope you all like it. This is my first oficial cover, although its been a dream of mine to do these professionally.

"Every line means something."
Jean Michel Basquiat

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 7:07 AM

I don't think we're limited to SF as a theme. I love these entries. You all are awesome at creating impressive graphics on short notice.

Pyrographer ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 9:02 AM

That's downright beautiful. Amazing work Azha! And nope, I don't think there's a sci-fi theme. Anything works. My entry would be more Horror than Sci-Fi.

Azha ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 11:15 AM

Thanks Pyro I did so love your bookcover Anne Rice is actually the woman who made me want to write, I just missed her signing here in New York and was simply heartbroken. Hey is that Tom Cruise on the cover?

"Every line means something."
Jean Michel Basquiat

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 1:23 PM
Forum Moderator

I don't think 600x800 is big enough for 'WAR & PEACE'......

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

JVRenderer ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 1:24 PM

I don't read much. Howbout a mock cover for a mock book? I.E. "An adventure in sewers surfing" by "Joe 'dude' Boarden"

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

tresamie ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 1:49 PM

LOL, Bryster....just do the "PEACE" part...that's usually small. ;) Tres

Gorodin ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 3:01 PM

2 questions: 1. do these need to be new works, or can we post previously posted works? 2. Are we limited to 1 entry? If the answer to either is "no", please ignore the pics I post when it comes time to vote...

Gorodin ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 3:03 PM

file_82781.jpg

This is one of the 1st "book cover" illustrations I posted to R'osity.

Gorodin ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 3:04 PM

file_82782.jpg

This was another "Honor" cover I posted here.

Gorodin ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 3:06 PM

file_82783.jpg

I later went on to do this faux HM cover.

Gorodin ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 3:08 PM

file_82784.jpg

Later I did this book cover. The illustration (without the titling, etc.) won the "Judge's Choice" award at the WesterCon art show.

Darkginger ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 3:23 PM

Oh Good Lord! How am I going to do a cover for 'First Steps in Winemaking'?...

RimRunner ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 7:15 PM

LOL Darkginger. :) Some great works there Gorodin.. while we don't exclude prior works.. it is kind of the idea of a challenge, is to be challenged. ;) Also love the one for the Dragonbone chair. Nice to see Simon before the whole snowlock thing ;)

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 7:27 PM
Forum Moderator

I think Gorodin just won this without a shot being fired....

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 7:29 PM
Forum Moderator

Well this is my entry....... . . Adventures of a Black Cat At Midnight

Gorodin ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 7:33 PM

Thanks RR. Please disregard my entries when it comes time to judge, in that case. Esp. since I probably spent more time on some of those than many people will be able to spend on this challenge. That probably would not be fair. Cheers! -G

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 7:38 PM

file_82785.jpg

I think all the entries look amazing .... except I don't see a black cat at midnight. Maybe a polar bear in snowstorm??? Despite rumors to the contrary, not all of us like white on black as a color scheme. >^..^

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 7:46 PM
Forum Moderator

Not my fault if you don't have the right colour scheme....ROTFLMAO.........I just didn't think about it....DOH!

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 7:48 PM

;)

Knot4u ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 8:33 PM

Hmmm I thought Bryster had miss titled his and it was actually The Invisible man. Wow... such wonders at such an early stage ... oh the anticipation of the late entrys.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 3:48 AM

Gee, my cat was rather purplish... maybe a Russian Blue at Midnight in Gorky Park. ;^) Carolly

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 7:10 AM

LOL...maybe Bryster wins for having the amazing morphing graphic, done without animation!

Pyrographer ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 7:51 AM

Wait... Are those actual book covers that are in print that you did previously? If so... "No fair! Wahhh", seriously, wow, amazing. Azha, yeah, it's my attempt at Tom Cruise at least. :) I'm just guessing that mixing mediums is not verbotten here. (i.e paintins + photoshop + 3d Rendering, etc).

Gorodin ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 11:01 AM

My book covers have not been published... but I have a dream... :-)

barriephillips ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 2:20 PM

file_82786.jpg

Hi, thought I'd have a go at the challenge. At least I managed to get it to look like a maths book.. LOL :) Best wishes. Barrie

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 4:05 PM

Wonderful covers everybody. NOW STOP PICKING ON THE DAZ DRAGON!!! Everybody wants to kill the poor little dragon.

Gorodin ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 4:12 PM

file_82787.jpg

Here's another one. I did the image as a wallpaper last month, but spent the last hour turning it into a book cover. Again, you should probably disregard this for jusdging purposes. I am just having fun at this point.

Gorodin ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 4:13 PM

Whoops. That last one was 800wX600h as opposed to 6OOwX800h... is that ok?

CavalierLady ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 10:38 PM

file_82788.jpg

Well, after 4 days, 3 revisions, 2 program crashes, and 1 corrupted file, here's my entry for the challenge, (whew!).... an imaginary book and tribute to Anne Rice. The original fractal that is the basis for this book cover can be found in my fractal gallery: http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=CavalierLady&Form.sess_id=2566117&Form.sess_key=1068157776 It's all done in ultra fractal, except for the title graphics. This is a wonderful idea for a challenge, and the entries are outstanding! There are so many wonderful and creative images being submitted!

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2003 at 9:35 AM

file_82789.jpg

Ah well, picking my favourite book wasn't that hard. But making the cover WAS. I had to do a whole new morph for the Freak. Ok ok I was working on that neanderthal morph anyway when I saw this contest :o) So.. here it is. Credits: The Freak and Stephanie from Daz. Ayla's "dress" by PhilC with my Snow leo texture. Broud's hide and boots from Daz, by Dodger. Hair by Kozaburo and sorry I can't remember who did the Enzo hair. Background in Bryce. composited in Photoshop.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

chohole ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2003 at 1:31 PM

file_82790.jpg

Maybe not quite my favourite book, but certainly a well thumbed one. Posette and the dork taken into bryce and then postworked in PS.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2003 at 3:49 PM

Excellent. I would say there are no clear winners here but you all have very competative entries. It's going to be hard to decide. Well done!!!

oblivionblack ( ) posted Mon, 10 November 2003 at 5:21 PM

file_82791.jpg

here is my entry: the cover of stephen King's "Black House" novel..made in lightwave 7.5

RimRunner ( ) posted Thu, 20 November 2003 at 9:53 AM

5 days left on this one... Deadline closing in fast. :( Just never seems to be enough time in the month sometimes huh? Anyway.. time to crank it up and hit the render button. :) Some great entries as always... looking forward to the final few to this challenge.

Pyrographer ( ) posted Thu, 20 November 2003 at 10:11 PM

This is going to be one difficult challenge to judge. Can we pick 10 this time maybe?

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 20 November 2003 at 10:22 PM

I'll go for that. There are too many good ones this time.

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 20 November 2003 at 11:57 PM

file_82792.jpg

Here is my entry. You won't have to wait for me this month! :)

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2003 at 12:02 AM

LOL! That's so appropriate. :)

Pyrographer ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2003 at 12:16 AM

Interesting, I don't think a human could possibly sit Fractal Zazen, that would be, well, infinatly painful. :)

tresamie ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2003 at 1:24 AM

Thanks dialyn! I have often told people that working on fractals is very zen-like. I get so lost in the meditation! This was fun! When will we see yours????? Tres

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2003 at 7:14 AM

This turned out to be a month devoid of imagination for me....I'm sitting this one out. About the only book I've read lately is "How to Train Your Rambunctious Puppy," and my Bella ate that one!

RimRunner ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2003 at 8:43 AM

Hmm.. perhaps you should read "how to live with a neurotic dog". ;) If nothing else, that one would give Bella gas. ;

Flycatcher ( ) posted Fri, 21 November 2003 at 8:01 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains violence

file_82793.jpg

Only spotted this today, so here's a quick entry done this afternoon with Paint Shop Pro 8 born of my favourite novel read in the last year.

Two apologies. First to anyone who might be offended by the title - Niall's choice not mine! For anyone outside the UK, this is an unpleasant derogatory term for a male of Welsh nationality.

Second apology to Niall Griffiths for making his book appear so lurid! It may (and does) contain some of the most appallingly graphic descriptions of violence that I have come across, but it is very far removed from the "pulp fiction" impression this image might create. With alternating chapters in a high prose style and coarse vernacular, this is a very powerful novel that creates an almost Blakean and apocalyptic vision of alienated youth today. Not a comfortable read, but highly recommended.

Pyrographer ( ) posted Tue, 25 November 2003 at 3:30 AM

HA! Believe ot or not, sitting on the sink in my bathroom is that exact book (How to live with a neurotic dog that is). :) I have a 4 year old neurotic dalmatian. :) Flycatcher, no need to apologize for your choice of author or subject matter. Didn't know that about the derogatory term there though, that's odd.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.