Mon, Oct 7, 4:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce renders look... cheap (?)

bazze ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 9:08 AM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 4:28 AM

Hi everybody, is it just me or do you also think that Bryce renders look kind of cheap (plastic, unreal or whatever) compared with scenes/objects rendered in Vue, Cinema4D, Max, Brazil etc etc? Is it because they use different methods and technologies? Is it because poeple who use these "professional" applications are more skilled? cheers!

www.colacola.se

Gog ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 9:33 AM

I would say some of both, trust me, it takes a huge amount of learning to get Max stuff to look real. It's all about learning about material properties and light. You have to take a real hard look at what actually happens in the real world even without complex fx like caustics, you need to look at light & texture and the interactions between them, and learn a lighting rig that works in each application for the type of picture/animation you're working on. There's no bigger compliment then someone thinking that one of your renders is a photo

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

adh3d ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 10:02 AM

The bryce render is one of the best render you can find in the 3d market, perhaps it is a little slow, but the results are fantastic, best in the outdoor scenes, you have to play with lights, sky lab, textures ... like in any other 3d application.

adh3d website

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 10:19 AM

I feel that Bryce has very, very good renders. Just go to the gallery here and you will find some amazing renders. Sharen

Gog ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 10:22 AM

Agreed the bryce renderer is excellent, as I said there's as much to learn about materials as light. I think the bryce materials are maybe a bit low on their abilities, it's nice to be able to use more complex composites, blends and shellacs - for example to have a shiny spaceship texture, then be able to put a matt dirt layer over it, it's very hard to build a complex interaction like this in Bryce, unless you're also very good in Pshop and willing to have more texture images.

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

woodhurst ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 10:52 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=538503

Take a look at this.. they can look cheap, if you leave everything at default--but Bryce is incredibly powerful, i think even stronger than those high-end progams, just take a look at Ornlu's gallery, those could have just as well been rendered in lightwave or C4d.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 11:09 AM

To be honest, I think bryce's render engine (especially 5) is very good. With the proper care you can really do awesome things with it. So far my experiments in C4D (CE+, yes, I know it's the dark side...) have not bested the bryce render engine except in terms of speed and a bit more control of DOF.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

Aldaron ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 11:14 AM

It all has to do with lighting and materials no matter what program ou use.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 11:34 AM

good sumarization, I agree.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

dan whiteside ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 12:48 PM

Attached Link: http://www.earthcurves.com/art/images.htm

Might also try taking a look at what Will Kramer is doing with Bryce (link).

catlin_mc ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 12:58 PM

The only time Bryce renders look plastic/cheap is when the person using it has done nothing with the light, material, and texture settings. If all these Bryce tools are put in the right hands miracles can happen. So don't go belittling Bryce until you've explored it a little and looked at what has been achieved with it. Catlin

derjimi ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 1:23 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=434822&Start=1&Artist=derjimi&ByArtist=Yes

No, not cheap. It depends on the textures and technique you use. Other programs have one major things Bryce is missing: Global Illumination and HDRI. It can be faked, though. :) Bryce renders doesn't look cheap if you put enough effort into it. :) J.

Erlik ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 2:19 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=202654

If you'll notice the caustics on the tabletop... dem, how dark the pic is now, with a better monitor. Anyway, it was done at Normal render with AA. Several months ago there was a tutorial in 3D World for achieving caustics in XSI. It doesn't have them by default. And yet, Bryce does. Although this would have killed my computer if I rendered it at a larger size or a better quality. The plastic look is because people don't pay much attention to texturing and lighting.

-- erlik

BugHunter ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 2:21 PM

im kinda new here but i am seriously offended. i actually like the way bryce "renders". are my tastes then considered "cheap and plastic"?!? from what ive seen so far, it doesnt matter what program you use. it seems the only limitation with ANY of the programs is the users level of creativity and imagination...

BugHunter ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 2:25 PM

... and it doesnt need to look "real" to look "good"...

derjimi ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 2:32 PM

I second that, BugHunter.

padawanNick ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 3:11 PM

Mmmm. Vue: $200-$500 (Depending on version. Most of the "Full" $500 version features are in Bryce) Cinema4D: > $600 Max: $500-$2000 Brazil: (Render engine only) >$750 Bryce: $90 (full MSRP) You would HOPE that these other products were vastly superior and that Bryce couldn't even come close, right? As is proven in many Bryce galleries, the rendering engine is extremely capable of rendering photo real images. Like any artistic tool, it's all in the talent and skills of the artist. At least the some of those people that paid all that money for those other products save some time with faster renders, but the quailty is readily attainable with Bryce. Have fun. :)

woodhurst ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 3:15 PM

good point bughunter:)

adh3d ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 4:02 PM

BugHunter you are ok, but the thing is bryce can seen real.

adh3d website

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 4:14 PM

Buying a more expensive paintbrush doesn't mean that you will create a better painting.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

ysvry ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 6:30 PM

cheap pictures sell better as most people like cheap things :P

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

Slakker ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 7:07 PM

You really have to know what you're doing to get things to look realistic, so the problem is that people with those high-end programs (unless they pirated them) would have more talent, because they would have learned on something cheaper, or maybe even taken a few classes or something. It's all about experience, talent, and the amount of work you put in it. If you don't want to take the time to make it look realistic, it won't.

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 8:21 PM

Aye, Bazze, I understand where you are coming from, but take for example your speaker render? Just a few changes, and I'm saying that could be a photo. I really like your plastic-work, with the lego men and Star Wars ships! Perhaps try something a bit different, just to flex yourself! Still, I ove your gallery, there's some awesome stuff in there...

foleypro ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 9:03 PM

HahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahaHA.....And I could go on forever and ever....

Vile ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 9:52 PM

I think bazze is just trying to stir up some trouble.

Sharleen ( ) posted Mon, 24 November 2003 at 11:03 PM

Bryce is real... life is a dream :o)

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Tue, 25 November 2003 at 3:38 AM

There is no life, there is only Bryce.... We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion...

catlin_mc ( ) posted Tue, 25 November 2003 at 9:09 AM

OH NO!...........we're now getting into the silly phase. 8) This is what happens when anyone critisizes Bryce, all the users get more and more cranky. lol 8) Catlin

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.