Sat, Sep 21, 8:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Is it worth it to get RDS 5.5 (acad price $99)?

duanemoody ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2000 at 11:29 AM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 4:54 AM

I want to do basic 3D renderings, custom morphs for Poser, props and scenery. I keep hearing all kinds of bile over Metasupport for Carrara, most of which sounds reasonable. Am I getting a pig in a poke? Outside of probably being the last version of RDS (but at $99, I can take that bath), is it worth owning? I have a Mac, so I've been told the number of .OBJ importing/exporting 3D apps is pretty small (this came from a tech at Zygote). Strata3D claims they'll support .OBJ in the next release, but I'm guessing that won't be another freebie. Please, your thoughts?

AzChip ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2000 at 4:02 PM

I'd say that RDS 5.5 is a great package. It's the last in the RayDream line, and so many of the bugs that plague Carrara are worked out of it. (It still does have a few quirks, but it's not too bad.) For what you're wanting to do, RDS will server quite well; it'll do much more, too. And there's still a great deal of info on the web -- tutorials, etc -- for RDS. Plus, this forum is a haven for Dreamers who haven't moved on to Carrara. (Lots of Carrara stuff, here, too, and much applies to RDS.) I'd also suggest you check purplus.com. Last I heard, they had RDS 5.5 for around 80 bucks. (I bought my copy there a while ago for 130. Still feel like I got a good deal, though....)

willf ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2000 at 4:15 PM

Yes, it is an excellent package for that price, even though it is an orphan. The MAC version of RDS is more stable than the WIN version. Also, if you plan on getting it try to find the "update" to 5.5.1 for OS 9 compatibility. I don't know what it does as I use OS 8.6 (for now). If you can't find it someone may have it here so don't worry about it.

duanemoody ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2000 at 6:24 PM

AzChip (Arizona?): Thanks for the tip. You were right about the price, and now I'm eagerly rubbing my sweaty little palms together waiting for it.

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2000 at 11:43 PM

I got it and I'm happy I did. I also have Carrara, but I'm using RDS for my slicing and dicing. You won't be disappointed at that price. Marque

AzChip ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2000 at 11:36 AM

Yep, Arizona is right. Although my name is Chip.... And living in Phoenix, I know all about sweaty little palms.... :o)

duanemoody ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2000 at 10:41 AM

D'oh! Well, I think I can hack my way through the manual. Interestingly enough, our library is looking at purchasing a book titled Real Time Rendering, which covers the subject from the ground up. I don't think they'll buy it (CS isn't big here) but I'm thinking of ordering it through an online bookstore.

Gorgy ( ) posted Fri, 18 August 2000 at 10:22 AM

Hello! If anyone knows where to get that 5.5.1 patch, I'd really appreciate it if they could direct me to it. I upgraded to OS-9 not knowing that it would disable Ray Dream. Thank you.

willf ( ) posted Fri, 18 August 2000 at 11:56 AM

See thread 11 in main Carrara forum, not sure if that will help.

duanemoody ( ) posted Fri, 18 August 2000 at 7:17 PM

Guys... is the 9.0 patch on Metacreations not working? Pleeze tell me; I'm repartitioning my 20G HD this weekend and don't want to waste a lot of time reinstalling. http://www.metacreations.com/products/rds55/rds551update.sit.hqx It's about 658K, and I was able to DL it... I think I've also seen it archived on one of the more popular sites.

Gorgy ( ) posted Sat, 19 August 2000 at 8:18 AM

Duane, Thanks for the url! I downloaded it and it worked out fine. I guess I was looking so hard on the support pages that it didn't occur to me to check out the product pages. Again, thanks. Is Renderosity like a family or what!

duanemoody ( ) posted Sat, 19 August 2000 at 1:53 PM

Funny you should say 'family.' I got tele-interviewed by Macromedia Thursday about the Macromedia Exchange, where users swap extensions to Dreamweaver they've written, and when I was asked what I liked best about the site I said that it fomented a sense of mutually supportive users, like Renderosity. At that point the interviewer told me he had been working at Metacreations until he was laid off in January, missed it and offered unofficial Poser support if I wanted it. Small world, eh? FWIW I installed both RD5 and the fix this morning. Haven't had time to test either (I spent all night reformatting a 20G external drive to HFS+ and reinstalling the contents), but I'll keep fingers crossed. BTW, while this edition doesn't come with 8 CDs and a VHS tape, it does come with one tutorial CD. It didn't come with box packaging like Poser, but Poser's box is large enough to accommodate both Poser and RD5's books and disks. Cool.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.