Sat, Sep 21, 1:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: More about the D100...

Wolfsnap ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2003 at 12:08 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 1:49 AM

file_87510.jpg

i don't know if this is in bad taste - but I found a listing on E-Bay for a D100 - with a "brand new - in the box" price of $999.00 - a really decent price. What got me was the description listing - which got me a bit confused. It listed a bundle, complete with bag, lens, extra memory, etc. - I'm assuming that this is an "extra" - not what's listed. But, in the following description, they've listed an optical zoom of "6X" - how can that be from a camera body? this seller has an excellent seller rating.

Wolfsnap ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2003 at 12:34 AM

Got a response - right off the bat! I wrote the seller: The "BIN" price is fantastic - but i wanted to clarify the specifics. 1: You state in the description, "bundled kits" - Camera Bag, Extra Battery, Extra Memory, Lens, Lens Cleaning Kit, Memory Reader, Tripod ." I am assuming that this is an additional kit - not the offer made on E-Bay - if not...if this is included, count me in! 2: In the 'Optical Zoom" description of your listing - you state "6X" - this would indicate that there was a lens included with the sale - is this the case? Thank you for your time - and keep me posted. and got a response: I will let you bid on my auction only if you will aggre with my terms: The product is brand new, sealed in box,in perfect condition. The product is USA version,NTSC system (110-120V). The warranty is 2 years USA transferable(10.8.2003-10.8.2005). The shipping will be with UPS 2 days air or FedEx 2 days air and I will pay shipping and insurance charges. To prevent USA taxes for the product- I will send it as a present(gift). Usually i send the goods only after I see that you have the money and you're willing to pay.Is one of my own rules.I'm a serious seller and my feedback on ebay proves that.Using Western Union is fast and easy, is the best way to handle an international deal like this.All that you will have to do is to go personally at Western Union office and wire the money to my name and address.After you will make the transfer you will receive a receipt from Western Union.On this receipt you will find a 10 digit control num! ber (MTCN).Please email me this number and the Sender Name to alow me to check the status of the payment online.You can also do the transfer online at www.westernunion.com or you can call Western Union and transfer the money over the phone using your credit card.If it is OK with the transfer than I will make the shipping right away and also I will need your address where you want the package to arrive. Here is my name and address: (name and address was included - but not needed here) thoughts?

DHolman ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2003 at 4:25 AM

Ummmm, in my opinion sending your money to this guy is about as wise as simply piling the cash up on the floor and setting fire to it. You'd be in the same position either way. As an extensive eBayer for a number of years (buying and selling for both myself, others and work) I have several problems with this: 1) This guy is selling a brand new, in the box D100 for $999 (Buy It Now)? This is, without all the extras, a $1500 body. Easily $2000-$2200 with what he's offering. If it sounds too good, it usually is. No one with half a brain would put this up as a Buy It Now for $999. Maybe opening Bid at $999. Sounds too good and doesn't make sense - especially with how hot D100's and 10D's are right now. Strike one. 2) 6X zoom lens? If you were to break it down that way (for instance, the 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 they make could be called a 5X zoom), the only zoom lens that Nikon makes that is a 6X is the manual focus 50-300mm f/4.5. That's a $3000 lens. Most of their other zooms fall in the 3x-5x range. So, strike two for me - equipment doesn't fit with reality. 3) Will only accept a money order. No way to stop payment on this. No protection for you as the buyer. I don't care what his feedback is (there have been cases of people hacking eBay accounts), someone who wants to work it this way is suspect at best. Strike three. There's no way I'd make this transaction. If you really want to see, since you know his address, tell him you know someone who may be in his area shortly and ask if he'd be willing to let the person drop off the money and pick the camera up from him while he's there. I'm betting the excuses will start or he just won't respond. That's my $0.02 worth. -=>Donald

Michelle A. ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2003 at 5:30 AM

I've read his response to you over and over...... I don't see that he answered your question. Unless, I'm missing it, it would appear that the only thing he said is how he won't give you a thing unless you give him money first... I don't see anything about extras, tripods or lens in his reply. I would be extremely hesitant.......

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

zhounder ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2003 at 8:42 AM

Wolf, Be careful. I used to work for a software company and oneof the things I did was track the selling of pirated software via ebay. All the sellers that we snagged had good seller ratings. I bought my D100 from a brick and mortor shop for a couple of reasons. 1) instant gratification, 2) if there is something wrong I don't want to have to deal with Nikon, I want an authorized dealer to do it for me (there are athorized dealers on ebay, Ritz Camera for one), 3) I could open the box and make sure everything was there and in one piece. Another thing is that I have heard rumors the the D100 will come down in price by about $200(US) 2 weeks before Christmas. That is a rumor though. What I did was I beat the guy up over the price for over a month. He couldn't give me anything off the camera but he gave me $180 off a 512m card. Usually that is not possible but most camera shops don't do well for the holidays. If you find one locally that is a smaller shop the shop owner may give you a break to help him get to his goals for the month. The later in the month the better the chances. In my research I found that the average camera shop with 4-6 stores buys the camera from Nikon for $1299(US). Keep that in mind when dealing with anyone offering it for less. I talked to one company that offered the camera for $999 via PCPhoto magazine and for that price it didn't include anything but the body. No software, no battery, no charger, not even a strap! Once you added all that back in it cost $1699(US)! That is $200 more than everyone else. Be careful! Magick Michael

Randys ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2003 at 11:08 AM

This is a highjacked account, I ran into some of these guys when I got my laptop. Check the sellers feedback there is usually a gap in activity or the a high number of transactions for small items like yarn then there have several high dollar items that are unrelated to their history. "FRAUD"

JordyArt ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2003 at 7:52 PM

Call me Mr. Cautious, but I would never personally buy a high-value item from an auction site...even it they are a bona-fide retailer. In the event of something going wrong I want (like I had to with my camera initially) to be able to walk into a store, make a small disturbance, see the manager and walk out with a brand new replacement.....and some extra recompense for the bother. From what I can see from this particular sales sheet, I wouldn't touch him with your money, never mind my own. (",)

DHolman ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2003 at 9:09 PM

Took a look at the ad on eBay. Here's a couple more reasons to keep your money in your wallet: 1) At the bottom of the auction he states the he had to change his e-mail for security reasons and to now use this new address he has listed. Yea... security reasons. 2) He also has a Canon EOS 10D and Canon XL1 digital camera posted and ending the same day. He has the 10D, one of the hottest cameras on the planet right now, listed as a Buy It Now for $1199 with, now get this, 2 256MB CF cards, Canon 28-105mm and 75-300mm lenses, 4 filters, Lowepro carrying case and a flash card reader. All of this at $1199 when stores can't keep the things on the shelves with the body alone priced at $1399. Do I even need to mention that he is selling the Canon XL1 digital videocam for $1399? Lets put it this way, the XL1 body alone without anything else is around $2700, with lens and accessories, $5000. 'nuff said. This guy is a ripoff artist, pure and simple. -=>Donald

Wolfsnap ( ) posted Thu, 11 December 2003 at 7:30 PM

I figured as much - just wanted to get some reassurance. (I hate to see a good deal go by!)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.