Wed, Sep 25, 11:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 25 9:47 am)

Subject: P5 on Mac OSX crashes after rendering a movie

nickgunboat ( ) posted Tue, 30 December 2003 at 9:47 PM ยท edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 9:32 AM

I've been cranking out short animation clips for several years (seems like 10 but closer to 3) using Poser 4 for OS9. No problems. Now I'm running Poser 5 for OSX on a G5. After I render a Quicktime Animation file, save and quit Poser, I get an alert message saying that "Poser Unexpectedly Quit" (crashed basically). Now the wierd part. The Poser icon for the file I was working with changes to a generic document icon. Double clicking launches Poser but nothing loads. If anyone else out there is having the same issue, please let me know what you've done to fix this or recover the altered file. Thanks

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Wed, 31 December 2003 at 12:16 AM

I'll add it to the bug list. Haven't seen this one before. It sounds almost like what Windows users report, when they have memory issues trying to do animations. It could be a case of excessive page-outs after a long session (several days or weeks on-time) when you ran other apps, then finally ran Poser. This is a characteristic of Unix (a memory management technique dating back 30 years, that ignores the existence of machines with 2, 4 or 8 GB of RAM) that is apparently only fixable by restarting. My first-aid in those cases is to restart from Diskwarrior, rebuild, then restart from HD and repair permissions, which might have been damaged, hence the generic file. Also, unplug all non-Apple hardware (i.e. USB or firewire devices) to see if they are causing problems.

jerr3d ( ) posted Wed, 31 December 2003 at 1:37 AM

I've had this happen at least once before, that I can recall. Interestingly Poser created a pzSav file which worked fine. The original has a default icon and will not open with drag and drop. But try File/Open and navigating to the pz3 file. This opened my original pz3 file, but all the lights were gone! good luck!

GreyRandall ( ) posted Wed, 31 December 2003 at 7:28 AM

Out of curiosity... Which version of OSX are you running? I'm assuming since you're on a G5, that you're running Panther. For what it's worth, I haven't had any problems with short clips and crashes in P5 and OSX 10.2.8 Then again, I'm on a G4 with 384 MB of RAM. I may try leaving my mac up and running for a few days and see if the memory issue raises its ugly head with me.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.