Wed, Oct 23, 10:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: photoshop 7.0 help for a newbie!!

moonlitedancin ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2004 at 3:06 PM · edited Wed, 23 October 2024 at 10:25 AM

I have a question: I have 2 images under seperate file names. I want to use the second image as a layer for the first. How the ?!*#!! do you do that? I have a new layer open under image 1 and trying to copy image 2 to it. I can't for the life of me seem to do this. I've tried everything I could think of, cut-paste, drag/drop and all the tools I see. I'm sure its an easy thing to do, just don't know how. I've had some success with the wand tool but I need the entire image, not parts. Does anyone know how to do this? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks :-)

lundqvist ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2004 at 4:13 PM

To combine both images into one multi-layered PSD, do this. Open both files at once in Photoshop then (using the move tool) click on one of the images and drag it into the other one. PS will automatically create a new layer in the destination image. Obviously the pixel dimensions of the images will need to be taken into account.

moonlitedancin ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2004 at 4:34 PM

Thanks for the help. Both images are the same resolution, size/dimensions and both are in psd format (one is gif psd). I have them both open, using the move tool and when I drag it over I get the 'circle with the line threw it' symbol. ???? fustrating... What other reasons would it not let me do that? Do the formats have to be exactly the same?

lundqvist ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2004 at 4:37 PM

Ah sorry, didn't think of that. If one image is GIF (indxed color to PS) then for that image use the Image->Mode->RGB menu option (both must share compatible modes for the move to work)

retrocity ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2004 at 9:05 PM

Hi moon, with "gif" (index) files you can't do much until you change the "mode" to RGB.

it's pretty safe to always work in RGB and then convert your file when you're done to whatever other "mode" you'd like (this includes working in "greyscale").

glad you stopped by ;)

and thanks lundqvist!

:)
retrocity

SeanE ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2004 at 7:23 AM

or simply 'select - all' with the gif file, then 'edit -copy' and finally 'edit - paste' into the RGB file! - Again it will make it's own new layer.

SmileyMax ( ) posted Wed, 07 January 2004 at 10:28 PM

Well, number one. If you going to be doing any work to the file you shouldn't be doing it in the orignial GIF or JPG file, because you be limited in many ways, plus saving just isn't very realistic for many reasons. So what you should be doing is opening a new Photshop image at the rize dimensions for your work, then copy the first image and paste it into the BLANK DOCUMENT. Then copy your second image and place it in the BLANK DOCUMENT. Photoshop will automatically create a new layer everytime you paste a new image in it. However, I'm guessing you've figured that out by now considering that this post is 3 days old, but just a little advice in case you haven't. Devin Taylor Thinking Allowed Graphics

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.