Sat, Sep 21, 4:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: 3DS to Bryce 4 texture question

DanielChicago ( ) posted Tue, 29 August 2000 at 9:33 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 2:57 AM

file_132624.jpg

Hi, I have a question for all you Bryce masters out there. When I import a 3DS file to Bryce, how can I get it to import with the textures in all the right places rather than just being plain gray? The picture on the left (how it's supposed to look) was rendered in 3D Studio Max. Bryce 4 looks good, but no texture. Poser 4 imports the texture, but looks "shifted" somehow. Someone please help me!! I've looked everywhere for a solution, but no luck!!! Thanks, Daniel

bonestructure ( ) posted Tue, 29 August 2000 at 10:25 PM

The best thing to do is get the object export plug in, That gives you an option to export the mats with the file, and then I think you should have them available in Bryce. I don't really know. I just texture everything in Bryce. But even with 3DS export, you should get a dialogue window with several options. Look in the folder where you put the exported model and see if there's a material file there along with it

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Tue, 29 August 2000 at 11:27 PM

I have opened 3DS files fine before with the textures. Not sure about max. Options I can suggest are A. Make sure the materials are in the same place as the mesh that you are pulling in. Bryce sometimes has a problem finding it if it is in another spot that isn't in the open. B. Export from poser to retain the mtl file. Good luck

DanielChicago ( ) posted Wed, 30 August 2000 at 9:00 AM

I've always seen these mtl files hanging around after I import something out of Poser, but I never knew what they were for, so I just trashed it. Now it's all coming to me...mtl = materials? "Come on Daniel, let's pay attention please!" Let's see...9 AM now....how many hours must I endure before I can get home and play??? Guess if I stop misappropriating company time and all that, it might go by a little faster! Thanks, and I'll let you know how it turns out!

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 30 August 2000 at 8:59 PM

Yep .. that is the materials file .. It took a time to figure out. It also took a bit for me to find out that bryce liked the textures and mtl file and mesh in the same place when importing ..Good luck

Ironbear ( ) posted Wed, 30 August 2000 at 11:12 PM

Hmmm... my copy of Bryce may be retarded. I occassionaly get the error box on finding the .mtl even when they're in the same folder... just not as often as when they weren't. I've never had any luck in getting them from max to Bryce with the textures, so I've always taken Bonestructures route and textured in Bryce. Now that I have p4, the importing via a trip through poser has interesting possibilities. Thanks guys...

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

DanielChicago ( ) posted Wed, 30 August 2000 at 11:45 PM

Caligula suggested to me via email that I should use a text editor and compare how Poser references the mtl file, then rewrite the file to be used in Bryce accordingly. Anyone ever tried this? And how did it work out? Thanks, Daniel

Aravenwood ( ) posted Thu, 31 August 2000 at 4:50 PM

I'm confused, if you want this method to work thru poser, does it have to be poser 4 and if not how do you import the thing into poser with the textures intact. I've never seen a .mtl file! And what exactly is the 'object export plug in' spoken of earlier? I thought I had this subject figured out with a simple ''not possible'' before now.

bonestructure ( ) posted Thu, 31 August 2000 at 5:04 PM

There's an object=.obj import and export plugin for 3D Studio MAX

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

DanielChicago ( ) posted Thu, 31 August 2000 at 5:56 PM

I want the model to work in Bryce 4, not Poser. However, Poser will apply the texture maps, while Bryce does not. What I'm going to do is see how Poser imports the model by opening the obj file in a text editor then perfom surgery on an obj file that's heading into Bryce.

DanielChicago ( ) posted Thu, 31 August 2000 at 6:05 PM

BTW, the 3D Studio Max obj export plugin helps, but the texture still doesn't get applied correctly.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.