Thu, Sep 19, 4:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: New Atlantis - WIP/mini tut

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 2:54 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:14 PM

file_92987.jpg

I was planning on using this scene for the challenge, but got "postworked" away... Just wanted to post a small tut on how i did the atmosphere in case anyones interested.

I spent a great deal of time messing with the haze/for settings, but couldnt get the look i wanted, so the base image is made out of two separate renders.
On the top one, i placed a cube with a water surface just infront of the camera, to get the hazy look. The bottom one is without that cube.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 2:54 PM

file_92988.jpg

Once that was done, i opened up both of them in Photoshop, and placed render 1 as the background and 2 as a new layer. Gave it a layer mask, and erased the top part.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 2:55 PM

file_92989.jpg

Next, i flattened the layers, and duplicated the background. I set the new layer to "Lighten" and then added some Gaussian blur to the layer. I set the opacity to around 40, but this is just a matter of personal taste. The more blur, the more haze. I duplicated the first layer a few more times (probably more times then necessary), but for these i used "Multiply", other then that its the same procedure with Gaussian blur and playing with opacity. I used a layer mask to highlight some parts

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 2:56 PM

file_92990.jpg

Next, i drew som fishes...

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 2:56 PM

file_92991.jpg

Saved, and opened up the image in Universe for the lensflares and some reflections. When that was done, i brought the image back into Photoshop to add a few lightrays and a little haze between the structures on the right. Done! Hope you can use this. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 3:23 PM

Thanks! This is very helpful. Peggy

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 3:53 PM

Nice workflow, too! This image is outstanding, and a great piece of art my friend. (bows to you)

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 5:05 PM

Thank you so much for the mini tut, and the insight into how you achieve such awesome images! Your scene definitely got my vote!

RodsArt ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 5:30 PM

Thanks Rudy!

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

Brian S. ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 5:58 PM

Now that is impressive! I even liked it before the post work... But the extra work really does add to the final image.

nuski ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2004 at 4:05 PM

Very insiteful! Love your PS layer and filter work!

Quest ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2004 at 8:54 PM

Always a pleasure to view your work and when I get a chance to read a tut from you, it's an added bonus, thanks! An excellent scene deserving of a vote and your workflow is an inspiration.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.