Fri, Sep 20, 11:47 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Is it my lens?

zhounder ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 10:22 PM ยท edited Sat, 17 August 2024 at 5:57 AM

file_93053.jpg

I took this shot today while on break at work (yeah I even take my camera on break). This is the original only cropped and saved for the web. The lens in question is a Nikkor AF 70-210 f4-5.6. Shot with Nikkon D100, settings - RAW, Exposure Auto, 1/1250 @ f8, Exposure Comp: 0-EV, ISO 800, WB Auto, sRGB, Sharpening Low, Noise Reduction Off Magick Michael

zhounder ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2004 at 10:26 PM

file_93055.jpg

This is the PS'd version. Niether seems to be sharp. I have tried everything I can find and this is one of the best shots I have gotten with this lens. Help! If it is my lens, anyone have any suggestions on a replacement? Keep in mind I am poor (again).

Misha883 ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2004 at 8:16 AM

So many possibilities for fuzziness... With in camera sharpening "low", did you then do any sharpening within PS?

Michelle A. ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2004 at 9:17 AM

file_93056.jpg

Yeah, hard to say Michael..... I'm certainly no expert on lenses..... One idea that did just pop into mind was the choice of ISO at 800..... There is a lot of grain in the sky areas (which really can happen at any ISO) but I'm wondering if that choice of 800 introduced so much grain that you cannot get the bird sharp because of it. Took your original and tried sharpening it up a bit but I'm not sure if there is a noticable difference between this and the second postworked version?

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

Randys ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2004 at 9:29 AM

Did you have the AF set to servo or single shot? It is very hard to catch a bird in flight in low light. I have had my best results in bright day light sun to my back shooting high speed 1/1000 or faster like you did f 9-11 with the AF set to servo. Even with these settings 1/2 of the shots are soft. Randy

Randys ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2004 at 9:31 AM

Forgot and ISO of 100- 200 Randy

DHolman ( ) posted Thu, 15 January 2004 at 4:40 AM

file_93058.jpg

Hmmm ... really can't say with that shot to really tell. Kind of a tough shot all around. After cleaning the grain up a little and then sharpening it, I think it is a bit softer than I'd expect from a D100. I'd still like to see it with a little better subject. -=>Donald

Misha883 ( ) posted Thu, 15 January 2004 at 6:06 AM

Not sure it is a good comparison to sharpen a jpeg... But the results so far indicate that some more photoshop sharpening on the original image should help quite a bit. Digital sharpening is always needed; it does not indicate any fault of the lens.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.