Thu, Oct 10, 6:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: Buying suggestions for DAZ

LonRanger ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 12:48 AM · edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 6:29 PM

Hi, I'm new to DAZ (I own Poser 4). I want to get some DAZ products, but don't know where to start. I want to get as much of a basic, flexible collection of items (including one male and one female model) as I can for about $100. Any suggestions?

Tilandra ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 2:53 AM

Join the platinum club at 7$ a month, then you can get TONS of items for $1.99 each, plus a good percentage off items from the regular section of the store. It's not a bad value... I think it's 30% on top of sale prices. Vicky, Steph, and Michael are good bases for many good characters. Build slowly from there.

libernull ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 4:44 AM

I agree, joining the platinum club is an excellent idea. Additionally, V3 is a good investment, imho. If you get the various morph paks, she can change into V3-male, which gives you a completely morphable male figure for the price of a morph pak. Personally, I think V3+morphs is one of the best investments someone could make.

LeFrog ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 8:32 AM

I also agree about the platinum club. When you first join you get a ton of downloads that daz give you, and not to mention the platinum club items are only 1.99. Also i would suggest to first go with Victoria 2. She is still great and for someone new to poser she is easier to work with. -LeFrog

winter200 ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 9:03 AM

Ditto LeFrog! There are also oodles of nice FREE hair, clothes and characters available for V2.

Kelderek ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 9:09 AM

These are all good suggestions, it depends a little on what you want to achieve. V3 is the state-of-the-art model of today. As being said, you can morph her into a male, so she is versatile. However, she does require more from you than V2. V2 and M2 are still good, but having worked with V3 and M3, I never use them anymore. If you get V2 and M2, you will find yourself upgrading sooner or later, since most (if not all) new products are made for V3 and M3. The Platinum Club is a great investment, it will give you access to tons of clothes and hair, mainly for the third generation figures. If I was in your position, I would get V3 with the morph packs, a good texture and a Platinum Club membership. OK, quite a chunk for an initial investment, but you can't go wrong from there. Remember that you get 30% off all DAZ original products with a PC membership plus a monthy $5 voucher, so count that in when you look at the prices on V3 and accessories.

rreynolds ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 10:37 AM

Just to help with the math, you will actually save money by joining the Platinum Club since you're willing to spend $100. You'll be buying DAZ original figures and the PC gives a 30% discount on DAZ originals. PC monthly membership is $30 and the first month is $8. The 30% discount allows you to buy $142 of DAZ original products. That allows you to buy M2 and V2 for $28 and you can look over the remaining items wanted in the Premiere and Platinum stores for the few bucks you've got left. M1 and V1 are half the price and that would allow purchasing a few more items. There are tons of morphs for free, on the web, to help make M1 and V1 more versatile. Versions 1 and 2 both use the same clothing. That gives you a few choices. As a note, remember that the $5 PC voucher is only good on DAZ originals. For somebody new, that gives you a lot to get, but most of the Premiere store is brokered items that the voucher cannot be used on.

biggert ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 11:16 AM

ye....DAZ got some prety good stuff man....just look out for some of their hair items....a lot of free hair are better than DAZ hair....DAZ hair is complex BUT doenst look as good when rendered compared to say Kozaburo hair.....

LonRanger ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 6:03 PM

Thanks, everyone! (What a helpful and jolly forum!) I'll look into your suggestions and update you on what I decided.

queri ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 6:14 PM

My opinion, save your money and don't buy the CDs, I did and only used the figures and the wedgehair-- the other clothes were not that great.

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2004 at 6:37 PM

I would get V3. As a new poser user I went straight to V3 when I started out here. Love esther ps the V3 male doesn't have enough morphable clothes to make using him much fun.

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

LonRanger ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2004 at 12:58 AM

Oh, FYI: I am an animator. I don't know if this info will be helpful as far as your suggestions or not. I plan to do very little "still" work. The "animatibility" of the models I purchase is a top consideration.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2004 at 1:53 AM

If you are asking for opinions : Go with V3 :)

LonRanger ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2004 at 4:30 PM

Thanks. Very helpful! I will be creating clothed characters. A related question: I have Poser 4. Are there any problems with using V3 and M3 (and their accessories) in Poser 4? (as opposed to Poser 5)

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2004 at 5:18 PM

No problem at all. Love esther

LonRanger ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2004 at 9:18 PM

I think I'm going with M3 and V3. Thanks to all of you for your helpful and friendly advice.

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2004 at 9:53 PM

oooh exciting. Don't forget to post a render so we can see. Love esther

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 23 January 2004 at 9:56 PM

before you buy, subscribe to the daz newsletter and forums right away and you'll get a free membership this month to the plat club which means V3 for a reduced price I think. Love esther

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.