Tue, Oct 22, 10:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:35 am)

Subject: A tip to shorten your body part list.

compiler ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 1:44 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:36 AM

file_95364.jpg

When I pose a character, I often use the body part list. Unfortunately, this list is often crowded and it's a real pain to have to scroll down all the way to select the shins or feet.

compiler ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 1:56 PM

Attached Link: http://compiler.free.fr/Hide_fingers.zip

file_95365.jpg

Now, when I pose a figure, I usually start by applying a pose from the library, then tweak the limbs pose, then the hands, and then the "grasp", "spread" and "thumb grasp" dials, and only after all this do I tweak the fingers pose. Having the finger parts on the body parts list is thus useless for me 99% af the time. So I made up a pose that hides the fingers from the list, which makes it 30 items lighter. (you can download it through the link below) (apply the "hide fingers" pose) It justs sets the fingers as "hidden". You can still see them and apply Hands pose or modify the spread and grasp dials. You cannot select them by clicking on them in the workspace, nor can you select them via the body part list (obviously). You still can select them via the hierarchy editor (in Poser5 at least, I'm not that sure about Poser4). When you need to restore their selectability in the workspace, or put them back on the body part list, just apply the "unhide fingers" pose. I found this very useful for me, and thought I would share it with others. If there is enough interest for this tip, I'll put the link into the free stuff. I tested it on Vicky, the preTeen, MayaDoll and even Koshini. It should work also on the Daz eagle's talons. I don't know about V3 and M3. My apologies if this has already been done before. And all my thanks to Bloodsong for her book on the secrets of Poser 5.

MarianneR ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 2:47 PM

Wow! How smart ... Thank you!

maclean ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 3:03 PM

Nice one, compiler. It's funny, but one of the things I repeatedly added to the 'Poser 5 Wishlist' (You remember that list we all posted to that CL ignored?), was to have the hands and fingers as sub-menus with the main body menu. They would be accessible in a sub-menu, but not filling up the main one. Ah well, maybe they'll get around to it in Poser 10 after it's been bought by MicroDisney Crapware or someone. mac

Kalypso ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 3:11 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Thanks compiler! Much appreciated, it's an ingenious workaround to Poser's imperfections :)

iamonk ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 3:43 PM

I've often been annoyed by the long list. I can't say that I've EVER selected the fingers from it. This will definately help me, thanks.

Mason ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 3:51 PM

Great idea! Thanks!

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 4:07 PM

It's even worse with the Poser 5 figures, which have independently-posable toes.

ronstuff ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 4:19 PM

Thanks! this will be very useful. :-)

Larry F ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 5:55 PM

Say, that's nice! That'll come in -- er, ahem "handy"!! Thank you! Larry F

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 6:15 PM

That's a very good idea. Thanks!

PabloS ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 6:25 PM

This is great compiler!

SWAMP ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 6:56 PM

Very good,compiler... Just tried it on Vic3 and it works for her as well (so should work on all the unimesh people). Big Thanks,SWAMP

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 7:57 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1583721

Great idea Compiler. It has been done before, quite recently in fact, by Corum_Anime, but that does not make it any less usefull, especially as you have packaged this for download. The link above is to a thread that discusses some uses of "hidden 1". One use I found for the "hidden 1" to is to make a conforming clothing item unselectable, it's easy to select a clothing part by mistake when you are trying to pose a character, temporeraly excluding the clothing from cursor selection by applying a pose file solves this problem. Search for "Select OFF/ON" in the Utilites section of the Free Stuff. I'm sure there are a few more usefull pose files to be written using "hidden 1", Little_Dragon meantions "...Poser 5 figures, which have independently-posable toes.", there is a prime candidate!

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2004 at 8:19 PM

file_95366.jpg

Another use for "hidden 1" is to reduce the clutter in a figures head by hiding the dials that change the head shape and leaving only the expression and phonim dials showing. I posted files in the free stuff to do just this for Posette and Victoria 2 "Hide Head Shape Dials PZ2".

Phantast ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2004 at 5:37 AM

VERY useful. But why did CL never put the fingers in a submenu? It's such an obvious thing to do. It all confirms my suspicion that no-one at CL ever actually used Poser in earnest to do anything.

FishNose ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2004 at 10:14 AM

Excellent! Thanks! :] Fish

compiler ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2004 at 10:17 AM

(Blushes) Thanks you everyone for your kind comments. On my way to do the same for Judy's toes. Les : I had not seen the thread you're pointing (or I would just have copied it rather than remake the pose...), but I must have had it in some part of my brain, hence my remark above...

maclean ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2004 at 2:23 PM

'But why did CL never put the fingers in a submenu? It's such an obvious thing to do' Right, Phantast! Which is why I mentioned it so many damn times! All it does is confirm MY suspicion that CL never listened to a word we said when they were 'building' Poser 5. mac

compiler ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2004 at 4:59 PM

Attached Link: http://compiler.free.fr/HideBodyParts2.zip

Just a word to let you know that I have updated the poses so that they now also hide the Poser5 figure's toes. (link above). Thanks very much for the idea. Best wishes sylvain

geep ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2004 at 4:40 AM

re: " ... CL never listened to a word we said when they were 'building' Poser 5 ..."

Sure they did ...

That's why they made the "Real World Scale" in P5

1 PNU = 8.6 feet (originally)

1 PNU = 8.3 feet (what I requested)

1 PNU = 8.0 feet (what they changed it to)

See! ........... They listened.

........................... They just didn't HEAR!

cheers,
dr geep <----------- still confused
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.