Sun, Sep 22, 4:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Rendering at Double Size Benefit - Myth or Reality?

Zarabanda ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 5:21 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:27 AM

I've heard a number of times that rendering at double the size of a final image and then reducing the image size by half in Photoshop will yield superior results to simply rendering at the final intended output. Can anyone prove this? I rendered an image twice, one at 800x800 and the other at 1600x1600, then reduced the 1600x1600 image to 800x800. A side by side comparison showed identical images. I'm only interested in onscreen picture quality, this has nothing to do with printing.

ynsaen ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 5:47 AM

For on screen picture quality, at the default 72 DPI, the answer is no. You might pull a bit more "detail" at as high as 96 dpi, but beyond that, ferget it. No monitor has the technical capability of displaying it better.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

EnglishBob ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 5:52 AM

I find that Poser 4's anti-aliasing is less than perfect - so I do this as a way of filtering it. This assumes your resize routine resamples the image and doesn't just drop pixels.

PheonixRising ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 6:09 AM

file_97702.jpg

Zarabanda, Yes that works becuse poser anti-aliases everything to death. Another way is to sharpen your render in Photoshop and then fade by 50%. It is alway best to render larger and then reduce. Twice as large is not really neccesary. It depends on your scene window. This is my setup in Poser. So I do get pretty large output. I scaled it down to 800 wide from 1034 for posting purposes. Anton PS: The models is a sims skin I am making.

-Anton, creator of ApolloMaximus: 32,000+ downloads since 3-13-07
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

NEW The Poser FaceInterMixer

LovePyrs ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 6:20 AM

looks at Anton's UI Is that Poser 5? If so, how did you customize the UI like that? -=LovePyrs=-

jenay ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 6:25 AM

looks like poser4 - you can customize the desktop - just drag and move all elements to the desired position ...

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 6:33 AM

The double size render is more for the postwork. I double and render a 300 dpi. Once I'm done my postwork, I reduce it to 72dpi.

eirian ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 7:04 AM

Yes, poser does tend to over-antialias. I render about 30% larger than the end result I want, do my postwork at the larger res. then (usually) add a sharpen filter before resizing. Sometimes this needs a little more postwork at the final resolution. Depends on the effect I'm looking for.

ookami ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 8:39 AM

How do you get the Tools and Doc Style menus to go vertical?

EnglishBob ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 8:45 AM

Alt-click on the title. :)

DarkElegance ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 8:58 AM

alt click on the title of the thing you want to drag and you can move it to virticle???

https://www.darkelegance.co.uk/

Commission open.

tedbragg ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 9:06 AM

I render at 2 to 4 times the size and turn anti-aliasing OFF. It speeds up render times by as much as 75%. SInce I work mainly for print, having a sharp edge like that makes for easy wand selection, without the halos.

Riddokun ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 10:41 AM

well rendering a larger picture helps if you need to do some minor postworks to fix some flaws.. then resizing the thign down will let your correction far less visible

rreynolds ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 11:39 AM

Actually, rendering at a larger size and reducing just adds a bit of blur to an image. It's not extremely noticeable in a side-by-side comparison, but hair and other details will be softened. Shrinking an image eliminates pixels of detail and requires the software, doing the reducing, to decide which pixels to toss. It's usually worthwhile to take any Poser image and bring it into Photoshop, or other image software, to enhance colors and contrast.

Jim Burton ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 12:25 PM

file_97704.jpg

And now I see with eye serene The very pulse of the machine. William Wordsworth Incidently, dpi has no meaning in a render, it relates to printing on paper.

kaposer ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 2:03 PM

This nasty Poser renderer...with Firefly at 100 dpi, u wont need postwork

MyFreestuff    My Store

Zarabanda ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 5:06 PM

Anton, that sims tex looks awesome. makes me wanna dust off my copy. :) I use bicubic resampling by default, so I guess I'm good in that department. I can definitely see the advantage of working big in postwork and then reducing size. ::must hide all traces of cloning tool...

stewer ( ) posted Tue, 10 February 2004 at 10:06 AM

With FireFly, you don't need to render at double the size. You can adjust antialiasing to your likings using the post filter, filter size and pixel samples parameters.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.