Thu, Oct 3, 4:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Texturing question...help please.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sat, 07 February 2004 at 10:51 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 2:25 PM

Hi, I do a lot of figure texturing. My problem is with the eyelashes and especially obtaining that smoky look on eye make-up. I want to learn how to do it myself, not use someone else's. Oh btw, all my work is done with a mouse only, no tablet/pen luxuries. I've been getting better on the eyelashes but really could improve, I'm sure. I've learned to do eyeshadow and blusher but the smoky look is beyond me. Can any of you texture artists explain it to me, please?

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

eirian ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 7:24 AM

Can you post a picture of what you're trying to achieve? It might also help to know what program you're using to create textures - most people use photoshop or psp. Most effects with eyeshadow are just blur and blend. Play with several layers and use different blend modes. Add noise to one layer to get a glitter effect. My technique for lashes is to paint a thick white line just outside the template, then just smudge in the right direction. Do that on different layers using different strengths and you get a fairly realistic effect.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 10:04 PM

Here is an image of the eyeshadow I do. That isn't much of a problem.I'd need to make a close up of the lashes as i don't have one yet. I use both PSP and PhotoShop Pro. I've gotten a little better with eyelashes but they still look thick and clumpy on the ends most of the time. Thanks.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Mon, 09 February 2004 at 10:07 PM

file_97541.gif

I'm sorry, the image was huge! Maybe this is better?

eirian ( ) posted Tue, 10 February 2004 at 12:36 AM

It looks like you're just using all solid colour. The best thing you can do is buy some fashion magazines and look at the make up styles in the ads - they are usually two or more colours or several shades of the same colour. I'd suggest working on layers - at least three (four including the texture base). Start with the largest area - between the top of the eyelid and the eyebrow. Paint in the colour and shape you want, but don't fill the whole area - leave at least a small gap beneath the eyebrow. Then use the gaussian blur filter to soften the edges. Here's where you start playing with the layer styles - the simple way to go is just decrease the layer opacity a little maybe to 75% (so the skin colour shows through the eyeshadow). You can also try different blend modes for the layer - "soft light" works well but try several to see the different effects you get. When you're happy with that, do the eyelid. On a new layer use a different colour - either a contrasting colour or a contrasting shade of the same colour. Paint in the eyelid and use gaussian blur again - not so much this time. A simple way to get a glitter effect on the eyelid is to add noise, then use the sharpen filter over and over until it looks right. Again, then decrease the opacity of the layer or change the style. Next, you need to add some shading to the crease between the eyelid and the upper skin. If you've used a very dark colour on the eyelid this won't be necessary. Same technique as before - a new layer, just draw a line and blur it a little. It does take some pracice to get that part right - too heavy and it'll look like an eight-year-old's attempt at make-up, too light and you lose the effect. An optional last effect - on a new layer place a dot of white on the eyelid, in the middle. Blur it, change the layer blend mode to screen and decrease the opacity until it almost disappears. That's your highlight. Eyeliner should be on a new layer, too - above the eyeshadow. Just trace the outline of the eye. If you can manage it, the lower part of the eyeliner should be below the lashes when you render, not inside the eye - but it takes lots of attemtps to get that part right. Don't surround the entire eye with eyeliner unless you want a goth look: eyeliner should stop where the lashes stop on the eyelid, and go just over halfway across the bottom of the eye.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Tue, 10 February 2004 at 2:23 AM

Oh thank you so much for explaing so well. On some I do use blended colors but it dosen't look quite right. Maybe by doing it like you've explaned I can get it right. No need to look at mags, I'm a former Beauty Instructor...LOL. Ah, but doing make-up on 3d models is sooo different. And especially thank you for the glitter effect tip. I wondered how to do that. Okay, off to upload an update to my site and then post in freebies.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2004 at 1:17 AM

file_97542.gif

I spent some time last night experimenting with the techniques you listed. Here is a pic of the results. Is this some better?

eirian ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2004 at 8:42 AM

It looks good, but it's hard to tell with a small pic. The eyeliner looks a bit heavy, but that could be her lashes - I can't tell. Definitely looking good, though. There's more of a contrast between the eyelid and upper eye - this makes a huge difference. (The lighting is better than the other pic, too s)

Faery_Light ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2004 at 3:41 PM

Oh yeah, I'm having problems getting the pics just the right size for the forum. This is 200x200. Maybe a 400x400? The first time the pic was so big I couldn't even scroll to see it alll...Wheew.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.