Sat, Sep 21, 9:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: How do you make edges of picture fade to white?

krbtv ( ) posted Sun, 13 August 2000 at 9:38 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:40 AM

How do you slowly make the edges of a picture turn to white (fade out)? Microsoft PictureIt has an easy way of doing it. I don't know what it's called so I can't look it up in help. Kimberly krbtv@home.com

dlm ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2000 at 12:31 PM

There are a number of ways to do this.I think this is about the easiest.Make sure that you have white selected as your background colour.Using the rectangular selection tool select an are in the centre of your picture slightly smaller than the area you wish to keep.Go to Selections menu & inverse,creating a selected border area.Then go Selections-feather and enter a high value,say 21 or above.Now press the delete key.

krbtv ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2000 at 4:44 PM

It worked like a charm! Thanks How do I get rid of the selection once I've finished? I had to save, close the file, then reopen it to get rid of the moving border.

dlm ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2000 at 9:54 PM

Go to the Selections menu and chose "deselect" in Photoshop 5 or higher and I believe "none" in lower versions,or use the short cut keys. "Control + D" on the Pc,not sure about the Mac,but I think it,s similar "Command + D".Something like that. By the way the moving border around selections is often refered to as "marching ants".Which I think is a great descriptive term.

adam ( ) posted Thu, 17 August 2000 at 3:35 PM

You can also used the mask tool which I use ALL the time. It's simple and easy. Have you ever used it before? If not, you should play around with it. Adam

kevinsean1 ( ) posted Tue, 12 September 2000 at 9:44 PM

the easiet and simplest way is to go into the options box on the right of your screen after selecting the rectangular marqee tool and select the fade options and pick the number of pixels you wish to fade by, also, use a white background.

krbtv ( ) posted Wed, 13 September 2000 at 1:09 AM

Did not see any fade options.

relik ( ) posted Mon, 09 October 2000 at 10:57 AM

I think he means the feather option in the Tool Options window. Essentially, you're doing the same thing as feathering the selection after the fact, but if you set it in the tool options it presets the marquee to feather by X amount. Then you just select as usual. However, if you use ctrl+ A (command + A on Mac) it doesn't apply, you have to manually set the marquee. Then you just invert the selection (ctrl/cmd + shift+ I) and delete to get your fade.

lilmikee ( ) posted Tue, 17 October 2000 at 1:13 PM

Another method that is very simple as well is to select your crop marquee tool and set your feather to about 5 or 10 pixels and select an area a bit smaller than the actual size and copy and make a new layer and paste on that layer or hit ctrl j to make a new layer of your selection. You should then have a nicely faded nordered picture...works great with circle marquee tool too for portraits. Happy Rendering, Michael

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.