Tue, Oct 22, 10:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:16 am)

Subject: 1812 Project (Brown Bess) update

lakota ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2000 at 5:29 PM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 8:32 AM

file_133690.JPG

1812 Project (Brown Bess) update With the Coatee, Shako and Zygote's Mariner pants, the uniform is nearly complete. One still needs shoes, but it's still warm at the boarder. So at this point, I thought it best to start arming the troops before winter. Since I could not find a good musket for detail shots, I made one. This is my version of the 1809 Brown Bess, India Pattern flintlock. It is not finished, it still needs the strap and a trigger and some other stuff, but it's a start. It will be a figure with a possable strap and morphs to rotate the hammer and frizzen so one can prime and fire the beast. Also the bayonet and ramrod will be seperate props, so one can load it or sheath the bayonet. At present, the lock, stock and barrol of old Bessy is pretty detailed and is a bit big at 1.3m. It is still all in parts, so I hope to cut the file down to size. The largest part of the file size problem is the lock plate and stock surrounding that plate. These objects were free forms created using Illustator files, then exported as wavefront objects and then imported back to create mesh forms. Both Carrara and RDS exported obj files in this process seem to add a lot of duplicate points that must be welded back together and inconsistantly linked points that effect the filling of those polygons. All I wanted was a simple beveled extrude of these parts, but I could not get that in RDS or Carrara, as one can in Extreme 3D or other 3d programs that unfortunently do not export wavefront objects. In any event, I think I should have both the Shako and flinklock ready for testing next weekend. Lakota

wyrwulf ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2000 at 5:33 PM

This looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project. Just remember to put a piece of flint in the hammer.

latheguy ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2000 at 6:45 PM

Looks great. Excellent model. I too am looking forward to the final product.

robert.sharkey ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2000 at 7:58 PM

That looks pretty close to the original. Great work. SHARKEY

willf ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2000 at 8:51 PM

Looks great, I find that saveing as wavefront in low, medium & high fidelity settigs to sometimes make little difference in the shape but may make a big difference in the file size.

JAFO ( ) posted Sun, 17 September 2000 at 3:57 AM

really nice work there very good detail.... if i may suggest: assemble the rifle in poser and texture it the way you want it- then export it as a .3ds file {make sure you check export object groups} some files are up to 90% smaller than the origional .obj file, when you re-import it just make sure nothing is checked except make normals consistant... it will come back into poser with the same size, position and textures as it had before export {personally i dont think 1.3mb is too unreasonable for such a fine model}

Y'all have a great day.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.