Thu, Oct 3, 12:16 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Why is Renderosity trying to access my computer?

drafter69 ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 7:31 AM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 2:29 AM

Everytime I click on "Poser Products" the firewall I have in my computer "Zone Alarm Pro" tells me that the website is trying to access my computer. Any idea why? In 2 minutes this morning Renderosity made 14 attempts to acces my computer. What exactly are they snooping for?

keihan ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 8:16 AM

That is because R'osity uses cookies to send and retrieve information. If you logged in and chose the check box to remain logged in (save your user name password), it stores this info on your computer in what's called a "cookie". Everytime you access an area of R'osity that requires you to be logged in, the server checks your machine for the login info (via the stored "cookie"). Firewalls will detect this as an intrusion and sometimes call it an attack like a TCP PORT ATTACK, even though it isn't an actual attack. You are safe ;) Ciao, ----Will

drafter69 ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 10:27 AM

Since Renderosity will not let my computer into the store section unless I accept cookies I guess I'll buy my add-ons elsewhere. The wonderful thing about Poser is that there are a lot of other stores besides this one. Cookies=No-Sale

Nance ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 10:55 AM

uh, wait a minute, doesn't logging-in to post also require a cookie; meaning he's already got one?

kbennett ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 11:27 AM

I don't know enough about that side of how the site works to give a proper answer, but I've asked someone who does to look at this thread. Kev.

MachineClaw ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 11:48 AM

Renderosity changed some security settings there was something on the front page about this. Cookie will be effected.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 12:07 PM

yeah..it creates a cookie..I usually leave it in..only thing that happens if you delete it is you have to logon again..as far as I can tell.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

JohnRender ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 1:25 PM

And why are Renderosity's cookies so bad that you would take your business elsewhere? Or is this just a sweeping generalization that all cookies are bad, so sites that use cookies must be bad?

StolenHeart20 ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 1:42 PM

Hes stupid i guess. Item in here are sold world wide. you aint buying a bag of chips.

Norbert ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 2:15 PM

Attached Link: http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm

Being TOTALLY 'anti-cookie' is a little bit silly. Anymore, I doubt you can do online shopping ANYWHERE without them. Here's a free "Cookie Wall" program: http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm It'll let you sort cookies that come into your computer. (keep or don't keep) Or you can totally toss yer cookies whenever you want to.

kaposer ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 2:39 PM

Attached Link: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

You might want to get Ad-aware from lavasoft (its free). It may find all kinds of spyware (including bad cookies), and get rid of it. The "good" cookies are not deleted (I find it useful since u dont have to login everytime you join a forum)

MyFreestuff    My Store

artnik ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 2:59 PM

There's also a free cookie sorter called "lockjar" which I use, can't find the link offhand, but check with Google or any search engine.

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 3:17 PM

Every sit selling poser products that I know of online (especially if they use Paypal) currently uses cookies. This doesn't make someone stupid, however. It does make them particular, and particular people sometimes have to make allowances and sacrifices. Many, many people still believe cookies to be universally bad. This is from all the bad press that surrounded them initially, as they were not well understood and they were often simply applied without permission (and still are). Cookies can be used improperly, as well. While I disagree with the decision, they have the right to make that decision. Calling them stupid strkies me as slightly inconsiderate of others. But then, I am crazy, so what the heck :)

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 3:48 PM

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cookie.htm cookies are not programs, they do not transmit data.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

keihan ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 3:58 PM

Aye, thanks Tiger. The data is stored at the server level, the cookie just tells the server what data to retrieve. The cookie, merely identifies you and thus the server can retrieve your personal settings. Ad-Aware does nothing that you can't do yourself without it. BY USING COOKIES, RENDEROSITY CANNOT ACCESS SENSITIVE DATA ON YOUR MACHINE, JUST THE COOKIE THAT WAS PLACED IN YOUR BROWSERS COOKIE FOLDER. If you don't like cookies, I'm afraid you may as well get off the internet bcause they are used everywhere and almost every shopping site with any sense uses them.

Zarabanda ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 4:38 PM

I've heard the best way to stop cookies is to wear tin foil on your head. :)

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 5:02 PM

Not all cookies are evil tracking tools. I fully trust the use of cookies at this site, it's not a problem. I'm sorry, but to boycott the store here solely on that principle is absurd. I'm sure that the PTB here and at Bondware are very well aware of the mass exodus they'd endure if they were to try to put spyware on our machines.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 5:07 PM

it's all the stuff that comes in with cookies that causes all the annoyances..I've been told some of the 'do you wish to install 'x' from 'y' software?' that the 'no' answer is actually 'yes'. (it's just a quick change in Visual Basic, or whatever they use).
I've run Ad-aware for a little while, and it's been a life-saver. Some of this stuff reroutes your home page, insinuates itself in your registry, and adds unwanted toolbars to your browser. Ad-aware finds most of this. It's a constant war; as soon as one side figures a block, the other side finds another gap.. but it's better to keep stopping the worst offenders.
(a lot of cookies are kept in a directory called 'cookies', depending on your OS..you can see the actual files..I selectively and manually delete them..renderosity and daz cookies you can leave..anything that has the word 'click, ad, track'..well you get the idea. Or you can use a program to do this as well..good luck)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 6:26 PM

It's not a bad idea to use Spybot and Ad-Aware (both are free,) because sometimes one app will catch little critters that the other one doesn't. I run both at least once a week, they almost always find something unwanted.

elizabyte ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 8:35 PM

I have my browser (Netscape 7.1) set not to accept third-party cookies. Some sites will try to put all kinds of stuff on your hard drive. I don't mind if they put their own cookie there, though. In fact, it saves me from having to log in all the time or reset my preferences every time I visit a site! :-) bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

sandoppe ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 9:23 PM

Just about everyone uses cookies to track visitors, to make it possible for you to log in, etc., etc. Your browser, not to mention your firewall, gives you the control over which cookies you accept and which you don't. Good luck buying things from places that don't want to place a cookie on your harddrive! :)

sandoppe ( ) posted Fri, 27 February 2004 at 9:27 PM

Just noticed elizabyte's comment.....I have mine set that way as well (I.E. 6, in my case). I find that a lot of the sites that people use to store their free stuff try and put third party cookies on your machine. Actually.....I get a significant amount of spam that tries to do that as well! You can also set your browser to reject all cookies, but it makes browsing the net laughable :)

Nance ( ) posted Sun, 29 February 2004 at 5:46 PM

Did someone already mention that you can set your browser to ask Permission before setting EACH cookie, as opposed to accepting or rejecting all? Some, like from here for logins, I allow, most I just say no thanks. Then every week or two, I use the browser's (NS-7.02) cookie manager to trash any that I missed & don't recognize. However, on the "stupid I guess" side, I did stop using Hotmail because Microsoft added or updated, not one, but about a half dozen each time I retreieved my mail. Just felt there had to be some other info being tracked there other than simply ID'ing me for logins. While I don't really think Gates is the great Satan, & I realize they were offering me a valuable service for free, if they want to gather market research in exchange, I'd be more comfy if they request it openly & politely. (dang - now where'd I leave that handy universal tinfoil helmet)

cooler ( ) posted Sun, 29 February 2004 at 7:31 PM

file_100209.jpg

Nance & Zarabanda, here you go.... :-)

Nance ( ) posted Sun, 29 February 2004 at 8:02 PM

LOL! -- Now I be's stylin!

Zarabanda ( ) posted Sun, 29 February 2004 at 8:07 PM

ya know, one day you post an OT thread in the poser forum, next thing you know you're in a black helicopter on your way to the rosity HQ in area 51...if only you'd blocked that cookie...

Elfwine ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2004 at 2:00 AM

Cooookiieessss!!!! -The Cookie Monster

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!  ; )

drafter69 ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2004 at 11:13 AM

I was away this weekend but to reply about cookies. Since this is MY computer, I decide if I want cookies in it. If the requirement at Renderosity is that I must accept cookies to be allowed to purchase....... then as I said before. Cookies = No Sale If renderosity wants to pay for space on my computer then I'll allow cookies from their site.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2004 at 12:29 PM

What is the value of 266 bytes stored on your machine for the duration of your sale, after which you can delete it?

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

Zarabanda ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2004 at 12:39 PM

If you can't deal with cookies then you can't deal with the internet. Its YOUR computer but not YOUR internet...its kinda like driving, its YOUR car but not YOUR road. you have to follow someone else's rules.

Kendra ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2004 at 1:57 PM

"If renderosity wants to pay for space on my computer then I'll allow cookies from their site. "

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. In order to post in the forums here you must be a member. In order to log in as a member you must accept the cookie that tells this site who you are, your user name, etc. Same for the marketplace. It's the same cookie and that's all it does - caller ID for the internet. A while back they changed servers around and you had to re-log in if you went from the forums to the marketplace but you only had to do it once. If you haven't been to the marketplace since the change that could be why you are seeing the request.

Anywhere you use your credit card will require a cookie on your system so good luck taking your business elsewhere.

...... Kendra

sandoppe ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2004 at 2:28 PM

I guess drafter69 won't be buying much on the internet....or will be buying from those places who are less secure than Rendo:) Look....a cookie is an identifier. I want to be sure that my account here or anywhere else is accessed by me and no one else. Cookies help ensure that my information is protected as much as they do anything. I would bet that if you check with DAZ, RDNA, Poser Pros, VIP....virtually all the major sellers of models on the internet.....you will find that they all place a cookie on your computer to verify who you are. I can block the cookies I don't want, by setting my browser accordingly, but I'm glad they're used. I'm much more offended by Poser 5's constant need to verify my software every time I start it up :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.