Sat, Sep 21, 10:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: A Raydream Question

Gorgy ( ) posted Wed, 13 September 2000 at 10:10 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 10:21 PM

Hello All, Thank you for checking out my problem. Well, here it is: Is there a way to place a picture behind the grid when using the mesh form modeler? What I'd like to do is place a jpeg there and trace over it with the polyline tool (I think that's what it's called). Thanks again! Gorgy

willf ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2000 at 12:22 AM

It's easier to place the image into Illustrator (or similar vector based drawing program) and draw your lines there. Then import the line drawing into the modeler. But, there is a work-around to getting an image into the RDS 5. I've come across a scene set up as a "Model Box" some time ago & can't find it quickley. The jist of the process is to create equal walls around the mesh or free-form object on the back, top, side and line them up on the working grid. Then map your back, top, side image to the walls (through the shader textures). Then make sure your spline or mesh object is centered in the scene and "jump in" a new window. Also make sure that the preview mode is "best" to see the images on the walls. The image won't appear in the modeling box but you can see your progress none-the-less. Just use the front, side, top etc views on the scene window to check your traceing. Note-you will need to place a couple of lights to illuminate the walls.

Gorgy ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2000 at 1:00 AM

Thanks Willf, I'm really not sure if my skills are up to that, but I'll try to do it. Either that or I'll scrim and save until I can afford a drawing program. Thanks again! Gorgy

willf ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2000 at 10:13 AM

I found the link to the "StudioBox" technique listed at the Ray Dreamers Forum - Tips page. The link is dead, was originaly done by Dave T.

Gorgy ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2000 at 9:11 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone. I was looking at all the junk on the shelf under my desk and realized that a long time ago I had bought Freehand. Although it's a very old version, I think it will cover my needs. I contacted Macromedia, but they are choosing to ignore me. Thanks again James

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.