Mon, Sep 9, 7:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: A thought on challenge voting

Sambucus ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 9:11 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 7:32 AM

As Ive just won the last challenge, this shouldnt be seen as sour grapes (I hope) but it struck me there were so many good entries in the last one that only got a vote or two, and in some glaring cases, none at all that I wonder if there could be some sort of proportional vote. In other words, if up to 40 people enter, leave it as it is but for 50, give us 4,3,2 and 1 pts to allocate, For 60 entries 5,4 3...well you get the point. I dont think it will change the results significantly but it may get points for those who may be ignored under the present system. Lets not discourage beginners. Its great winning but I remember the buzz I got on my first challenge when I got 8 votes. The administration of this system may make it a no no, and I can feel AgentSmith sticking pins into a effigy of an old fat man as I write but Id be interested in your views.

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 9:18 AM

ROFLMAO@the AS comment. yeah, that might make his counting thing a bit arduous. Mind you though, the whole process can be simplified with the creation of an outsourced poll. It's very easy to include html into messages on this forum, so why not ease AS's work? It's up to him. On the topic I'd say it's a fine idea, provided an easier way for him to count it. And an outsourced poll might just be it.

Ang25 ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 10:56 AM

I like your thinking Sambucus. I feel like my growth in ability hasn't matched the growth in entries and I was thrilled just to get an Honorable mention. I wish the vote counting could be computerized to make it easier on AS. Those abacus machines are a pain to use.

dan whiteside ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 11:23 AM

The MojoWorld Forum uses an automated voting system for challenges but it only allows one vote -so it can be done. How hard it would be to make it have multi winners I wouldn't know. Best; Dan

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 12:31 PM

I think one vote is enough. We'd probably still end up with the same 1st, 2nd, 3rd place that we do if we vote for 3 places ourselves.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Sambucus ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 1:01 PM

Well, I guess someone who knows his skills are not quite up to it yet would not expect to get the only point up for grabs and therefore be less disapointed so maybe one point only would be a way to go (is that AS yelling "Yes, yes, in the background? ;O)) but I still think getting a point, even one out of six, is a boost to anyone and how many beginners would enter if they knew only one point would be awarded?

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 2:30 PM

If I can automate the voting the way I want in the future, we could easily do this (5 faves, instead of 3). But, for now lol....my head would explode if I had to add all that up. Hand counting and adding and re-checking 225 individual votes is laborious enough. ;o) But, I DO like the 321 voting method, it gives more variable to the turnout of the voting, in many ways. AgentSmith

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

bikermouse ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 3:03 PM

I think 3-2-1 is fair enough. As the challenges grow that should be more than fair as there are more voters as well. I've quit commenting on the reasons for my voting under normal circumstances but in this case I'll make an exception. I don't think I did it this time, but I have sometimes in the past reserved the 1 point vote for someone who I feel has improved a whole lot rather than the third best, and in that way try to give encouragement to someone who is improving. - TJ

DJB ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 3:56 PM

First off.. Congrats:) Sambucus.Your textures were really good. Good on all the contestants.
Think I'll add my Cdn 2.
Maybe have no names on the votes,or....no names on the entries.
If it is a Bryce contest...!!!Use Bryce!!!
Kinda ticks me off when the terms to be met are to use Bryce-with no imports-that it seems to be forgotten.Yeah I know it is all in fun,but it still is a rush to have a winning feeling behind some hard work.
Also maybe for the moderator or one in control of the upload pages.Seeings how the full image is in anyway.Why not have just a few full size images on each page and do away with a thumbnail section.Keeps those from just browsing over the little guys, and not actually looking at the full pic.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 4:42 PM

Yeah, that's where the current Challenge area falls short. It is really a Contest area, and originally built to take just ONE vote from each person, but If I wanted to I could make votes anonymous, but we would have to fall back to just one vote, one winner, period. Bryce-with no imports : That is a monthly changing thing, and completely up to the member who makes that months theme whether or not to allow mesh/texture imports. And, some months it is lax to the point of using SOME miports, but "don't get carried away", etc. The thumbnail section - That is just how the Challenge/Contest area is built, that I cannot change at all. Yet, we had thumbnails in the other Challenges for the members that are on dial-up, and don't want to wait a long time for more than one pic at a time to load up. In the first days, ALL the entries were put it ONE forum thread. it was okay at first, but eventually the Challenge grew to the point where the threads weighed in at around 6Mb, so I switched it to the thumbnails. AS

Slakker ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 5:54 PM

You can just make "radio boxes" (if that's what it's called...)..one for each artist to enter the challenge... You know sometimes when you sign up for something on the internet, and it's got all those square little checkboxes for you to enter your interests...it's like that, only i'm sure there's a way to limit the number of checks that are allowed to be input.

Flak ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 6:16 PM

Flak hands AS a bigger abacus

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

Sambucus ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 6:41 PM

Believe it or not Ive develpoped a crippling earache in the last couple of hours. AS, I was joking about the pins and the wax effigy. If its you, please stop.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 7:14 PM

file_101140.jpg

And, here I thought I was aiming for the, er...heart. ;o) AS

eelie ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2004 at 10:21 PM

Uh, ouch! :o)

DJB ( ) posted Fri, 05 March 2004 at 12:07 AM

Wanna know how I tally them up.??? NO...OK here goes.Copy the whole shebang to notepad,then click edit>find next> type name of person.Keep clicking next until you have seen everyone of thier points and added them up.I do this for a lot of things..Kind of like if you want to also edit a lot of numbers or words in a html doc and don't feel like reading through the whole document to find things.Click edit> replace,then type the word you want to replace then with what word.Replaces all.LOL I just learned this last week.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 05 March 2004 at 1:11 AM

That would work if everybody spelled the name of the members they are voting for correctly each time, which isn't always the case. I will use the edit>find feature as one of the ways of re-checking a close vote count, but because of misspells, I have to be careful. Sometimes all it would take is one or two misspelled names, to throw off the count enough for me to announce the wrong winner(s). My worst nightmare, lol.... AS

Sambucus ( ) posted Fri, 05 March 2004 at 2:43 AM

Ha Ha AS, missed my heart. Nearly got my brain, though.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.