Mon, Oct 7, 6:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 9:36 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: PLEASE CAST YOUR CHALLENGE VOTES HERE!

Moebius87 ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2004 at 7:10 AM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 6:30 PM

Ok modelers... time for us to lock the entry threads and have a look at who's got the best mesh work for our very first cross-application modeling challenge. Please have a look at our entries in this thread. Since this is our first challenge it's going to be difficult to set some criteria for evaluating, but if no one has any violent objections here are a few of things we should consider:- relevance to the challenge topic (duh)

• compliance with submission guidelines (gotta have a WIP or two)
  • design and aesthetics (the overall coolness factor)
  • "elegance" in modeling (cleanliness and simplicity of the mesh relative to the detail and complexity of the model)
  • presentation technique (you gotta be able to really see the wireframe)

That's all we can come up with for the moment, but if you folks have any other suggestions we can definitely edit that list for the next round. Please cast your votes in this thread and we'll announce our challenge winner (who wins nothing but the recognition of respected peers) in a few days. Cheers! M-deler

Mind Over Matter
"If you don't mind, then it don't matter."

Moebius87 ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2004 at 7:32 PM

So much for our first ever cross application modeling challenge. LOL! It was fun while it lasted. We did have some truly exceptional entries, but no one bothered to vote. So I guess they either all won by default or they all lost. I suppose this is almost Zen-like in it's half-empty/half-full resolution. Much to think about, but meanwhile let's just put this whole episode behind us and get back to the business of modeling. Cheers! M

Mind Over Matter

Ric_535 ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2004 at 10:24 PM

i didnt expect to win by any means yet its a shame there were no votes at all - i still think the cross application challenge is a good idea and i hope this isnt the end of it

Moebius87 ( ) posted Mon, 08 March 2004 at 12:28 AM

Thanks for participating, Ric_535! :o) I really thought it would be a good idea too, but most of our forum regulars only frequent the Modeling Forum as a secondary stop. The first stop is typically the core application forum. Hmmmm... I guess we'll need to figure out how to make these challenges a bit more interesting. Till we can figure out how to do that effectively, let's put these challenges on hold. Meanwhile, if you've got any suggestions, we're always open to them. :o) Cheers! M

Mind Over Matter

PowerRoy ( ) posted Mon, 08 March 2004 at 9:34 AM

I'll say that I enjoyed watching this challenge. I was hoping to get a chance to enter, but time just hasn't been on my side lately. It was very interesting to see the various techniques, and the details apparent in the meshes. I use Cinema4D, so I saw a lot of stuff that looked pretty new to me. I thought the concept of the challenge -- a cross-application effort -- was great. I hope you do more in the future. (And I hope I have the time to participate next time!) And, yeah ... I always stop off at the Cinema4D forum first, but ... this forum, and a few of the others, are also becoming very interesting to me. Don't give up hope, fellas ... be patient, and this type of thing just might catch-on big-time!

stonemason ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2004 at 6:12 AM

Doh!...I missed this one too,was hoping to participate in the next one till I read this..alot of nice weapons :) I've only recently been visiting this forum,tending to be in max,uv,or texturing give it time.. -Stef my vote goes to Poisen(for what its worth)

Cg Society Portfolio

Teyon ( ) posted Sun, 14 March 2004 at 8:31 AM

If it's any consolation to my fellow Mod, I really really really liked the idea too. :) Maybe it should be a 4 times a year thing, as I think the problem is there's just too many challenges and too little time for folks to keep track of them all. A quarterly challenge would allow more time and give the opportunity to use larger themes also. Just a thought from the phantom mod....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.