Mon, Sep 9, 7:53 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Hidden Challenge and voting.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 12:41 PM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 6:45 AM

I know that AS's PC is F***ed (that's a technical term), but what do you think about not being able to see the entries until the voting time comes? Leave a bit of mystery to it and avoid any advantages to those who post later. Also seeing art that has already been submitted might make people think there's no way they can do that good and so they don't bother.

Also how about hiding the voting until after it closes? Probably harder to do. But I wonder how much the voting would change if people didn't have an idea who was in the lead. They wouldn't be able to tell if they were wasting their vote or not.

OK, yes, I'm home, alone, with no artistic inspiration and thoughts are just pouring out of my head.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

DJB ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 12:47 PM

I think you made some good points.Hope it won't fall on deaf ear.Mind you I don't think there is anyone around lately as I haven't gotten responses from any admins regarding a few issues. Guess this is a free for all site now.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

PerryMcK ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 1:45 PM

I like your suggestions! Freeeeee 4 alllll Yippppeeeeee:)))))))))

bigbadelf ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 2:17 PM

I already put those restrictions on myself. If a rule change doesn't end up being realistic perhaps we can make suggestions on the rules page. Now, FOOD FIGHT!!!! (tosses bagel and cc at PerryMcK)

violet ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 4:05 PM

How about voting for images without the names of the artists ??

PerryMcK ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 4:17 PM

@violet veerrery innnterestinnggg. (squeezes ketchup bottle in a large CCCCircular motion) HAHA!!!

violet ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 4:24 PM

Watch out with that ketchup...!!!

PerryMcK ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 5:21 PM

file_102824.jpg

HAHAHAHA(He spins again)

bigbadelf ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 5:34 PM

I like the idea of voting on images without names. Now, i know there are some fresh jelly doughnuts around here somewhere.

Sambucus ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 5:34 PM

I like all these ideas. I guess we`d have to put a block on wips in the forum if the identity of the artist was to be kept secret as well. Always thought that was strange. What other competition lets you get suggestions from the opposition? Gallery posts would also be out until after the results, too.

Flak ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 5:46 PM

Don't tell drac or ShadowDragonLord that this place is a free for all, whatever you do....

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

PerryMcK ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 6:18 PM

@bigbadelf pleeeease don't throw the jelly donuts.:( sure would change the WIP process, hummmm?

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 6:32 PM

no mods, what?

bigbadelf ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 6:51 PM

@PerryMcK - Bwahahah!! And i'll douse them with honey first, so they stick! @Flak - D'oh! Now you've done it. As a relative newcomer, i'm very much looking forward to availing myself of the wip process. I can use a lot of help. If only i could jumpstart this imagination. I would be sad to see the wip process change that way - even if only for challenge images. I think it really ads to the comradery around here. It really undermines competitiveness, and i really love that about it.

Zhann ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 9:20 PM

I believe the monthly challenge is about challenging 'yourself' not doing artwork you perceive as 'better' than someone else's. The challenges are supposed to be a learning tool on using different aspects of Bryce that maybe you haven't worked with yet... It really doesn't matter if the voting is public, that way you can see everyone's choices and 'know' it wasn't rigged in any way, not that it would be...This is so opposite of how you would have the gallery voting go, where you could see who voted for an image and how many votes it got... The Bryce challenge is not a competion to see who's the 'best', but a way to explore Bryce, if you think of it as a competion, then surely there are those who will not enter because of the 'pressure' to do images they are not yet ready to do yet...it's to help you learn to use the program to accomplish the things you want to make your artwork grow, in asethetics, technique, composition, and overall feel. Don't make this process secretive, or new people won't learn all the tips and tricks to get things done, by seeing and asking how so and so did such and such we learn, making it secretive will stunt that learning ability and any growth...

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 9:29 PM

Blah, the level headed voice of reason. Well done Zhann. You're right of course, it's not a competition at all. In the photography forum they don't even have votes. It's more a thread that people post photos to that all have a similar theme. THat would save AS a lot of trouble. I do have a habbit of contradicting myself. Case in point is having the number of votes listed, but also hating the hot 20 (less recently since I'm in it ;-). I'm a very confused person.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Zhann ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 10:08 PM

As are we all...:) And, as an aside, the more you spend exploring and experimenting, all of a sudden, your work grows, gets more comments, and you can help with advice, and pretty soon you are the next Rochr (I can only aspire to be that good)....

PerryMcK ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 10:57 PM

@ zhann Thank you for your thoughtful commentary. It can be useful to think about why the ideas proposed appear attractive. In judging the challenge, only three of the 'best' are 'winners'. Many enter and may never receive any acknowledgement. I think this is why the proposals were brought up. It is worth noting that without the challenge, the best artists might feel that their time might be better spent serving their own needs. (creating progucts for their store, contract work, etc...) So, in addition to the well thought out points refered to by zhann above, there other values to the Renderosity community which the ghallenge serves. How can the challenge be more fulfilling to more people? That seems to be the real underlying thread. I offer some thoughts on that topic, for discussion and reflection. 1)How about refreshing the voters with the challenge parameters in the vote thread. 2)How about acknowledging first entries with a welcome award. 3)How about acknowledging; Best object, Best texture, original ideas/concepts, construction,......many other ideas to reflect on. I want to thank you all for he chanch to practice my typing (index ,thumb,ring index...:) and for providing such good comradery(sp?). NOW let's heve some fun! Where's that honey covered jelly donut bigbadelf. Bet it has gone stale:)

Zhann ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 11:39 PM

I don't think the 'winners' are necessarily the 'best' every time, I think it depends on the voters taste in art, -and- sometimes they are the people who have 'progressed' the most in using the program or have captured the challenge parameters in their work. I was here one and half years before I even got a honarable mention....but by entering the challenge I learned, and grew, I found people on the forum who's work I admired, and I went about learning how they did it. I think a 'first time entry' acknowledgement would be in order but not an award, there are several forums that base voting on 'proficency' with the software, i.e. -Beginners -Intermediate -Advanced And maybe it would be a good thing to institute it here, so that first timers don't feel over whelmed by artists who have been using Bryce longer.... three awards in three categories wouldn't be that difficult for AS to do, and the entire forum could vote in all three categories

PerryMcK ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 12:03 AM

A Welcome acknowledgement would encourage newcommers I,m sure. As far as three awards, I meant an honorable mention for things such as #3)above. To broaden the base of recognized work. All this is just food for thought. What do y'all think (Arkansas speak) Mike I an rendering soapy water to clean up that mess. See you tomorrow, time to sleep.

bigbadelf ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 12:56 AM

Well then, PerryMcK, i'll wrap up those donuts for later. The honey keeps them somewhat moist... so they're not stale.

tjohn ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 2:29 AM

I never even look at the other votes until after I vote. Is anyone really so influenced by what they read that they would vote the same as someone else. I'm picturing someone that would drive around following the car in front of them obsessively, LOL.

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

Damia ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 12:19 PM

I have to agree with Zhann. I like the fact that the challenge doesn't really feel like a contest and we can get help with our wips. Of course I haven't even tried the challenge because I don't know how to model anything yet. So I am just thinking about entering the next challenge, whatever it may be. Because it's not so much a competition, I am not quite as intimidated when I think about entering something. I still get butterflies when I think about it, but at least I'm thinking about it. ;) @tjohn: Have you ever noticed how easy it is to "follow" the car in front of you if you aren't really thinking about it? I've seen people follow a car almost off the road just because they are focused on that dang car. :P

~Damia~ LeviathanPhotography

PerryMcK ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 4:56 PM

Well back again. This is a great thread. good discussion,and fun too. I am going to quit and go to the top (Todays) thread and see what has transpired since I left 36 hrs ago. I'll have to microwave that jelly donut!

bigbadelf ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 5:33 PM

If it'd been a Twinkie it would still be fresh. I'll have to remember that for next time.

Zhann ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 11:36 PM

Twinkie's have a self life of 60,000,000 years so your covered...=)

bigbadelf ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2004 at 12:01 AM

And they're so soft... and filled with... c r e a m ... mmm. gag :oP

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.