Thu, Sep 19, 6:57 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: I know I shouldn't care but,..........

sackrat ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 10:11 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 6:52 PM

I just posted an image "Where are We", that I feel is a pretty decent effort on my part,.......had 3 viewings from people who use either B5 or Vue and had an excellent rating,(I know it shouldn't matter to me), Then an individual that uses mainly a more "high end" 3D app comes along and must have given it a fairly poor rating. While I realize that the Sherman "Firefly" tank was used mainly by the British,...I couldn't afford the "Easy Eight" model available elsewhere, so I bought the Firefly model because the price was within my range. OK,....inaccuracy number one, but to nit pick the image because it mixes running(action) and relaxation, is to me just meant to be a negative statement for the sake of running down someone else's work to elevate their own status. Please look at this image and give an honest appraisal (I don't often ask this of people, but this really bothered me). I know, I know ,......I'm too sensitive. Oh yeah,.....I have a photo from France, July 1944, where there is a bunch of G.I.'s sitting around a fountain relaxing, while in the background a guy is running like he's being chased by the devil(sort of where I got the idea from). Thanks for your attention,....TOM (sackrat).

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

PerryMcK ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 11:09 PM

My brother is a war buf, he is all the time correcting me concerning details. (he knows more about it!) I liked the work. I can't critique on the subject matter beyond that. I didn't feel that the comment was in any way harsh. Just informative and Opinion. Kind Regards Mike

rickymaveety ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 11:35 PM

Well, your average rating is "Great" at the moment, so I wouldn't let it ruin your day. And, the guy's comment didn't seem overly critical or mean spirited ... just informative.

Could be worse, could be raining.

MuddyGrub ( ) posted Thu, 18 March 2004 at 11:53 PM

I thought the Rendo techs took care of the lone gunmen by using a different algorithm for the rating system? Anyways, people can be very passionate about their hobbies. The viewer may or may not have gotten a little over zealous with a bad rating. I think he enjoyed viewing it though, just as I did, and I'd venture to say everyone will. That's what matters, not the silly rating system.

Damia ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 12:43 AM

I have to say I agree with the rest. But at the same time I can see where you are coming from. I haven't posted anything in my gallery for a long time and my few images never got any comments or anything and very few viewings. But I can see where it might bother me to have someone point out something I already knew wasn't "exactly right". The thing to remember is they didn't know the process behind using that tank and whatnot. Also remember the comments are usually meant to help you in further projects. In short, (too late) I understand why you would feel the way you do, but I also think it is more of an immediate feeling that may fade when you really believe that it doesn't matter. People liked your image and you got a lot of good comments. I think it is very good myself. :) And that is my analysis for the day. ;) ~Damia~

~Damia~ LeviathanPhotography

tjohn ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 2:13 AM

Sackrat: I stopped allowing ratings on my images after I realized that they weren't important to me, so now I only have comments, which are important to me. Very good image, some folk just get bogged down in minutia, I care only about the emotion, atmosphere in images like this, I think you did an EXCELLENT job...which is the rating on the pic in question as I write this. You can't please everyone, but the guy in question is not really being all that harsh, IMHO. You should have seen some of the crits I got early on. :^) John

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

Sambucus ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 3:46 AM

I agreee that the guy is not really being overly critical in a nasty way but its a good illustration of how differently critisism is perceived by the artist and the casual viewer. Something to remember when we do make crits? I personally think its a great pic with a lot of work gone into it. Not one in a hundred would have known the tank was misplaced.

foleypro ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 6:42 AM

Hmmm... Great job on the whole pic.... As for the rating system thingy... Many times I have accidently moved my SCROLL button on my mouse and it has changed the Rating I have given folks before,Maybe that is what happened here?Maybe they didnt notice that the RATING might have changed? I personally didnt see anything wrong in the way any of the comments were stated,And as for mentioning that they used a "Higher End" software,I didnt see them mentioning anything about them using a higher end software,All of the comments seem that they meant to help or encourage you to strive to reach the next level in your art work.I also think they were saying GREAT JOB on the mixing of ACTION and NON-ACTION and not saying it was bad...My 2 cents worth...{:D}

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 7:27 AM
Forum Moderator

I think this pic has a lot going for it. This is a very busy scene, lots of different things going on. I like the composition and that fact that wherever you look there are stories to be found. I don't think you have anything to worry about on the crits people have posted. I certainly seen a lot worse...;-)

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

drawbridgep ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 8:16 AM

I think it's a great picture. Don't have a problem with the guy running while the others are laying around. He is probably trying to catch up with his unit. The guy laying down might have been injured.... Loads of reasons. As for the wrong tank... It's a little bit annorakish, sorry not sure of the American version of an annorak, a nerd maybe. Like people who think Star Trek is real and nit-pick the science. It's a petty comment, but I don't think he meant anything. Let it go, you're up to an excellent ranking. Like a lot of people, I don't allow rankings on my pictures and don't give rankings on others.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

violet ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 8:20 AM

I liked it very much...don't you worry about the critics...they were not that bad...however I know how you feel...I must say that the people have been very kind and patient with me and my images...(maybe they felt sorry ;-) ) A few months ago I had been working a long time on an image...someone who made images even I would'nt dare to post made a critic that knocked me down...but it even made me more driven to do better...shake it offfff and be proud of what you're doing......!!! take care

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 8:31 AM

the British used the Sherman, and a few of their own tanks (must confess I get Chieftan, Challenger, Churchill..mixed up at times). So there's no problem there (heck, they actually used Grants and Lee tanks as well..;) so I don't see why it would be a problem. Next thing they'll be calling into question the unit patches..;) looked like a nice pic to me, don't let 'em throw you off..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Swade ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 6:38 PM

All I have to say is it is an EXCELLENT image with a LOT of work gone into it. Keep up the good work and don't let the nit-pickers like that guy get you down.

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary, and those who don't. 

A whiner is about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 9:57 PM

Aye, Sackrat, I'm all for just letting viewers add comments. Remember, there is no money in the ratings, and nothing to gain at all by a good rating, that can't be gained by a few quick words of praise or suggestion.

bigbadelf ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 10:57 AM

I don't think the person was being particularly mean or self-serving. I'd chalk this up to bad chemistry. You know, when two people run into each other and neither of them necessarily enjoys the but nobody did anything mean, either - you just didn't jive, rubbed each other the wrong way, through no fault of either of yours. Those things are bound to happen - i put them in the category of "not relevant to my current process" and move on. 8o)

Gog ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 7:23 AM

pakled has a good point, in fact at different point s in the world wars different equipment from all the allies was used by other allies, it may have been rare but it did happen. (can't happen so much nowadays as things are a lot more complex), for example I know my way round a chally 2 but couldn't get in an M1 and use it without some serious training.

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.