Fri, Sep 20, 3:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce Lightning + Internet = ?

manimal ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 11:30 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:41 AM

I have not been able to render over the internet using Lightning. Furthermore, I can only get Lightning to work on two of three "local network" computers even though the icons for the other two are "green" in network manager which means communication has been established. Further furthermore, I can't get tiling to network render a single frame. I have zone alarm set to accept the other IP's. I'm posting this because I just read ddaydreams say this should all be possible. Has anyone acually rendered over the internet using Lightning?

draculaz ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 11:53 PM

Have you tried it without ZA working?

manimal ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 12:43 AM

That's an idea. But I gave my older 3rd computer away a couple weeks ago (partly because I couldn't use it to render) so I can't test your idea on my local network and I don't think my friends would lower their shields to help me out! Oh, but I could test your idea with the tiling of a single pic. OK, I'll try that tomorrow, thanks!

Zhann ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 2:46 AM

I wasn't aware you could render over the 'internet', what kind of bandwith does that draw? I do know you can render across an intranet or local network of machines, am I missing something here?

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

draculaz ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 2:48 AM

well, it's the same story, isn't it? i mean what's the difference between two ip's over a lan and two over the net? drac

clay ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 1:06 PM

you can render over the net, but you do need broadband, we did a few times during beta testing and it worked great.

Do atleast one thing a day that scares the hell outta ya!!

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 6:09 PM

You just have to input the IP's to any render farms on the net. Anyone know of any public renderfarms on the net to test this with?

ysvry ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 7:39 PM
Zhann ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 10:47 PM

Okay

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2004 at 2:44 AM

I've cross-platform rendered over the net between macs and PC's several times. The downside is, even with broadband, it only work for small files, as the host must upload the entire bryce file to each of the lients. This is why local is much faster.

manimal ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2004 at 10:03 AM

Partial success. I've gotten tiling to work on one frame of an AVI between two computers on my local network without taking down ZA. @madmax: How did you connect over the internet? IF the client uses a hub, is the hub's IP used? If the client and server have firewalls must the firewall be shut down or just added to the "trusted zone"?

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2004 at 8:52 PM

Aye, Manimal, I've rendered on three and six machines at once, using my slow P-3 600 as the host, without letting it joing in... (too slow, bogged things down) But I've never tried it over the 'net, yet, but it seems like wat Madmax is saying makes sense.

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 12:05 AM

file_103036.jpg

If you have a home router, you will have to do a portscan to see what ports bryce lighting uses. Then, find out how to configure your router (should be 192.168.0.1, just type that into explorer. The username is admin and there should be no password.) You then need to setup a port redirect or else bryce lighting will only see the local network. So, set the local ip to whatever your computer is. Then set the local and public ports to the same thing. (on a mac, bryce lighting is port 8000) This tells the router to scan public IP's for the port 8000 channel instead of just the local LAN connection. See the image for a snqapshot of my touter's config. The madmax thing is the one redirecting to bryce lighting.

manimal ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 12:29 AM

Thanks Madmax! Why don't they discuss this in the Bryce manual I wonder? I use 192.168.0.1 for my server and .2 for my client when I use my local network. I'll do the portscan and test this out in the next day or two and try to connect to a couple of friend's computers.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.