Thu, Sep 19, 11:08 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: March Challange - adjudication please

sdnoble ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2004 at 7:27 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 7:56 PM

file_103211.jpg

I believe this qualifies as a still life, but only with some latitude. The liquid in the glass is in motion. I suppose I could just lop off the top to make it flat, but that somewhat divorces the glass from the spill and mop cloth and is not how I want to present the image. I also do not want to post this in the still life challenge if the community objects.

May I have your feedback here please ?

Scott

sdnoble ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2004 at 7:33 PM

that extra 'a' in challenge just jumped in all of its own, honest...

burgi ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2004 at 8:25 PM

does the picture move? answer: no, at least not if your monitor is stable! stunning image btw. shame if it wasn't considered still life. i personally would enter it. John

Slakker ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2004 at 11:25 PM

Well...i believe it qualifies. Very cool image, crisp and beautiful...great lighting, as well.

diolma ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 9:51 AM

"still life": "A picture representing inanimate objects"; "inanimate": = non-living. (definitions culled via www.OneLook.com) So, since the water isn't alive (it's just responding to gravity - just like apples and flowers do), it's inanimate. So IMO, it qualifies! Nice image! Cheers, Diolma

catlin_mc ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 11:20 AM

Diolma, "inanimate": = non-living. What are flowers and fruit then? Sambucus said to have fun and we didn't have to stick to the traditional ideas of a still life. I think this is capturing a instant in time which is a snapshot and this looks like it would be ok to me. 8) Catlin

diolma ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 2:53 PM

oops - sorry Catlin - you are perfectly correct: I was trying to paraphrase in a hurry and flubbed it. What I really meant by "inanimate" was "incapable of self-motion" (at least, in the short term). Thus I agree it's OK. However "capturing an instant in time": that wouldn't be a satisfactory definition: ALL pictures capture an instant in time (otherwise they'd be movies or similar), but not all pictures are still-life :-) Cheers, Diolma

burgi ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 4:24 PM

oooh you spoil sport you!

Swade ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 8:03 PM

I like it. Looks pretty still to me. Lol I would enter it if I were you. Go for the gusto man. Nice work Wade

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary, and those who don't. 

A whiner is about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Wed, 24 March 2004 at 4:31 AM

No worries Diolma I didn't mean to bash you around the ears. lol 8) I didn't notice that the liquid was in motion though until it was pointed out. Think I need new glasses. lol 8) Catlin

sdnoble ( ) posted Wed, 24 March 2004 at 5:08 AM

Or I should make the pic lighter. Thanks all, I have posted the image to the challenge.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.