Fri, Sep 20, 3:53 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: March Challenge - WIP - Life, Stilled...

burgi ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2004 at 8:37 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:46 AM

file_103212.jpg

Having taken a quick break from the internet for a week or 2 I am back and have a stunning idea for the challenge. There is going to be a ton of cooling gas floating around and loads of flashy lights, screens, etc... but this is the alpha version of the scene and i am working on the rest of it in my head. hopefully I can then transfer this into bryce without surgery ;] Firstly, is a sleeping person considered still life? I f not then my image is trash and I have to head off into glass vase territory, which i would prefer not having to do. Secondly, any suggestions on composition, lighting and textures. all comments welcome! i only started this image about 10 minutes ago but wanted everyones c&c on it before throwing everything into it. John

sdnoble ( ) posted Sun, 21 March 2004 at 8:52 PM

I think the sleeping person would be OK, but I'd worry about the floating cooling gas if it becomes a feature of the image. Mind you, having just posted a query about what can be in a still life myself, I may be too much a a worry wort to answer this. As far as composition is concerned, I wouldn't centre the chamber, but without more of the scene, its hard to comment.

pogmahone ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 1:10 AM

tee hee....how about making the idea a bit more gruesome, and a bit more 'still life', by making it obvious that the technology has failed on this occasion? So the figure that should be in suspended animation could be showing signs of decay. Now that'd make for some interesting texture work LOL

burgi ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 6:10 AM

interesting take on it pog, hadn't thought of that. i don't think i have the time for it though. got a million flashy light and status screen textures to churn out. i think the floaty gas might be reduced to a bare minimum to help my poor computers with rendering times. god i need wi-fi! John

diolma ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 9:55 AM

Alas, I fear a sleeping body is considered "animate", thus does not qualify (see my post in sdnobles thread just below..). But, I've been known to be wrong... Cheers, Diolma

ysvry ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 11:38 AM

well make it an turned off android thats definite inanimate lol

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

burgi ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 11:58 AM

Attached Link: The Definiton

i think catlin out claused you diolma ;] i'll enter it anyway. i like causing a fuss! i always thought inanimate meant "something that doesn't/isn't moving" inanimate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-n-mt) adj. Not having the qualities associated with active, living organisms. See Synonyms at dead. Not animated or energetic; dull. Grammar. Belonging to the class of nouns that stand for nonliving things: The word car is inanimate; the word dog is animate. if someone is in suspended animation (statis) they ain't really alive.... are they? discuss! John

diolma ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 2:59 PM

By definition, if they are in suspended animation, they are animate:-)) (even if it's suspended) - as long as the suspension isn't by a rope round the neck, in which case (after suitable time) they are dead:-) btw - I have updated my definition after seeing catlin's post.. I can't really comment on this idea - I think it'll have to be up to the adjudicators. I hope it goes through, - I'd like to see all those flashy light and textures:-)) Cheers, Diolma

burgi ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 3:20 PM

file_103213.jpg

diolma, your wish is my command! here is version 2 with temporary flashy lights! john

Slakker ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 4:00 PM

inanimate Inan"imate, a. [L. inanimatus; pref. in- not + animatus animate.] Not animate; destitute of life or spirit; lifeless; dead; inactive; dull; as, stones and earth are inanimate substances. ------------------------------------------------------------ Something can be lifeless without being dead, and this person is CERTAINLY inactive and dull. You don't have to take the ENTIRE definition, if it fits PART of the definition i think it should be allowed.

Slakker ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 4:02 PM

Sorry for the double post... In any rate, a still life is an image of things that are STILL...as long as there is no motion portrayed or implied it should be fine as well...

burgi ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 4:32 PM

kinda like the BMW Z4 adverts? "0mph never looked so fast" excellent ads... nice car too! my pc crashed not 5 minutes after i posted the latest picture, i hadn't saved the scene... :[ boohoo!!!!!!! John

diolma ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 4:38 PM

Diolma<--submits self as challenge entry, having been "rendered" comatose by john's flashing lights! OK - I apologise - I've had a bit too much beer tonight (again), and I'm getting lippy. I'll shut up now.. Cheers, Diolma

kirasha ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 5:22 PM

Version 2 is awesome. I hope you can recreate it! The wall and lights really give the scene a sense of place. JL

burgi ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 6:50 PM

@diolma - LMAO, i know the feeling, after a few pints i get easily entranced by itunes spinning colours..... sorry where was i? yeah i am just about where i was before the crash. I am plannoing to shift the view slightly to the right and add a big computery thing just there. no there... hmmm.... maybe it was better other here.... i am starting to hate the floor. any texture suggestions? John

Swade ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 8:06 PM

Cool idea Burgi.... and I would have to agree. This person looks quite inactive and dull. Lol.

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary, and those who don't. 

A whiner is about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

manimal ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 9:08 PM

file_103214.jpg

Hey Burgi looks like we think alike! I was considering entering my: "Martian hybernating in biogell during a million year draught." But after seeing the "photo realistic" look of the other entries I figured mine wasn't snappy enough. I also considered adding lights like you did but they didn't seem to fit my scene. Anyway, Burgi I like the look of your character more than mine. Any suggestions?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.