Tue, Oct 1, 9:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: character loading..biting the bullet, finally..;)

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 08 April 2004 at 8:44 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 9:25 PM

Ok, I'm not going to say I'm stupid, or be ashamed, or protest too much, but I've been spoiled by the Daz exe downloads of characters. I want to load Mayadoll, and have a zip file downloaded and ready to go. This is just the basic model, I'll worry about morphs, clothes, fetish shoes and whatever later..;) There are about a dozen or so files, obj., cr2, jpgs, etc.
Quite simply, what goes where? do I need Dr. Geeps' listing? or do I need to create a Mayadoll folder under Runtime somewhere? After downloading 84 CD's of stuff over the last 2 years..I'm finally getting around to trying it out.
In general, I've got oodles of characters, just want to set them up logically (and working) in Poser 4..remember, we were all at this stage at one point, some of y'all just don't remember it..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 2:10 AM

If you look at the mayadoll cr2 in a text editor the figureResfile line should say where the geometries obj file goes then scroll down to the end of the cr2 and look for materials at least one of the materials will have the path to the textures. Other files like poses and so on go in the usual places. Poses would be put in runtime/pose/mayadoll and so on. It is the same for any figures if the zip or exe has no paths in it.

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 2:23 AM

figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:cheesy:cheesy.obj The figureResFile line will look like this, It means that in poser you make a drawer called cheesy in the geometries folder and move the cheesy.obj into that drawer textureMap ":cheeseman:cheesy.jpg" The texturemap line is like the line above, it is a relative path starting from the textures folder so in runtime/textures you make a folder called cheeseman and put the cheesy.jpg into it.

VI_Knight ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 12:10 PM

You could also check in the zip file and see if the folder information is already stored in the file. If so, all yo uwould need to do is to unzip it to your poser runtime folder and the folders will be automatically created for you. BUT!!! that is only IF the item has been packaged correctly. And this goes for any zipped item, not just MayaDoll

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 12:56 PM

My answer was for zips that dont have the folder information, some dont.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 2:35 PM

Thanks, but actually, unless I'm missing something, they don't..so far the obj and textures are copied over, I'll do a file search to see where the cr2, etc., goes. Ah, the old 'r' option in pkzip..woopsie, revealing my age here..;0 thanks all. I'll have to see what works..;)

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 2:38 PM

nah..verified it doesn't have folder info..s'ok..;)

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 2:49 PM

stuck the rsr and cr2 files in with the obj..btw..any newbies out there, hope you're takin' notes..;) now for hair, shoes..oh..it never ends..;) but it works, and renders..not bad a'tall for free..

FishNose ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 3:09 PM

Almost every zip I unzip has the folders built in. I'd say about 95% of them. Those are easy, just use the 'Use folder names' option and you're okay. The other zips without folders are mostly simple stuff like a prop with its textures or so. These you can simply put in a folder in the props folder and it will work fine. I ALWAYS unzip stuff elsewhere and organize it first before copying to my Runtime. That way I can give folders suitable names etc so the stuff doesn't 'disappear' in my huge Runtime tree. :] Fish

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 4:52 PM

starting to do that..have downloaded about 65 meg of free Maya stuff (gotta love it..;), and no clothes work and no hair either..but Vickie rr slick mod hair seems to work ok, so far..;) it's an ongoing process..found the listing for files in the faq..but I'll try the use folder names option and see what percolates..;) thanks.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 5:42 PM

checked my Winzip 8 settings, 'use folder names' is activated (just no folders)..finally got pics of the clothes, but no clothes..back to the faq..;) this is harder than it looks, blimey..;) I think one problem is that I'm mainly using Japanese stuff, and something may be lost in translation (though more likely me)..hair types from Poser 4 seem to work without much tweaking, but the clothes..I have to set them to 'dumpy' just to cover the 'good parts'..;) May try an experiment..;)

FishNose ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 6:25 PM

As far as I know all the Maya stuff works very nicely, I have all of it. However, his zips unzip into a folder with the name of the product/freebie first, then the rest of the tree. So you have to move it to the Runtime yourself. So for instance his Twintail hair parks in Twintail/Runtime/etc. You need to copy the Runtime part of it to your own Runtime. :] Fish

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 8:26 PM

?..ok..mebbe my problem is with Winzip (embarrasing, I've been using it since pkzip alpha .097..back in the 80's..;) I'm not seeing any folders of any sort..I'll deal with it later..I finally got fed up, pulled the mesh into Wings 3d, made 'modesty panels' to cover the naughty bits, then assigned appropriate materials..and a sad thing is that it doesn't import the eye textures into Bryce (at least not as .obj, haven't tried .3ds, but the names shouldn't change for the parts..)
so twintail (downloaded it) would go in
C:Program FilesMetacreationsPoser 4TwintailRuntime? or ..Poser4RuntimeTwintailRuntime?..I dunno..thanks all for being so patient..

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 09 April 2004 at 11:45 PM

file_105254.jpg

well, thank heavens, some of this stuff was documented after all. Got all the hair, most clothes, eyes, poses, etc., finally figured out (the 'ol clothes horse will likely make an appearance tomorrow..too tired tonite..). Now to figure out morph targets, and where they go..thanks again..

FishNose ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2004 at 2:16 PM

file_105255.jpg

I just don't geddit... when I open twintail in Winzip it looks like this. I can see all the folder names right there. I unzip and they land up right there. Couldn't be easier (???) :] Fish

diolma ( ) posted Sun, 11 April 2004 at 3:32 PM

An alternative: Unzip into folder of your choice, the use P3Do to find out what refers to where..:-)) But, I agree w FishNose - the stuff I've downloaded from Studio Maya usually has all the path info included. Export onto desktop (check "use path names" in export dialogue) then use explorere to copy into your runtime folder. Should work.. Cheers, Diolma (PS. I really WISH that suppliers would start their paths from "runtime" - it'd make things a lot easier..)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.