Sun, Oct 6, 12:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Am I doing this wrong?

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 14 April 2004 at 5:49 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 10:34 AM

I've posted a few of my Bryce models in free stuff over the past year as OBP format. The latest was a light saber.
I got the following message today from another artist:

"You posted a free Bryce object...the lightsaber...why did you post it under the Bryce free stuff when Bryce doesn't recognize that file type. It is saved as a *.obp file and the only thing close to that that Bryce recognizes is *.obj. Every other file type is either *.3ds *.ele *.lwv. It needs to be saved as the correct file type and reposted. Thought you should know."

I replied:
"Thank you for your post.
It was modelled in Bryce from primitives. And exported from the object preset library as an object preset .OBP.
To get it into Bryce, open up the object preset library and then use the import function there to read it directly into the library.
OBJ is a wavefront format. I'm not aware of any way of exporting a Bryce primitive model as OBJ format. But will investigate."

So, I'm investigating. Am I losing it? Am I wrong? I thought OBP was THE Bryce format? Is it possible to export a primitive Bryce model in OBJ format and I've missed this all this time?

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

sackrat ( ) posted Wed, 14 April 2004 at 6:39 PM

No, Not to the best of my knowledge. They need to open the "create" panel and click "Import",......not open the "File" - "Import Object" selection. The only thing you can export from Bryce as .Obj files is terrains and sym lattices. Of course I could be wrong(I frequently am).

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Wed, 14 April 2004 at 6:48 PM

You know you aren't doing anything wrong, they just aren't aware that they have to import it to the presets library...

Zhann ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 1:22 AM

Nope, not the wrong format, it's a Bryce object preset file and Bryce has no problem recognizing it, the person just didn't know their Bryce very well....

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

bikermouse ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 2:30 AM

drawbridgep, LOL That you should ask is an indication you're ok. - TJ

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 2:33 AM

Yeah, I was pretty sure I was right (I usually am ;-) But to get an IM saying I'm wrong will always put a little doubt in the mind.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

bikermouse ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 2:45 AM

Why? You know what you're doing.

danamo ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 3:32 AM

Yeah, you're a stand-up guy drawbridge! And you are totally correct in this. Unfortunately you will run into folks who cast complaints and insults because of their frustrations due to their own technical incompetancies. These same people would do all of us, and themselves a very big favor if they would just RTFM! I'm not dissing the folks who come here with questions, or ask for help. I myself have asked questions in this forum. I just resent the people who cop an attitude when something isn't dead simple, or handed to them on a silver platter, which you in essence did.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 3:53 AM

Thanks guys. I think various events in the forum over the past few days have put us all on edge.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Gog ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 4:43 AM

Relax Phil, go to the pantiles, sit outside the swan and have a nice beer while watching the world go by :-)

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 4:49 AM

:-) I like your thinking Gog. I should do that. I'm leaving England in a month or so for good. So really should sample what it has to offer one last time.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Gog ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 4:51 AM

May I ask where you're going, or is it a secret.....

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 4:55 AM

I'm going to Fishers, Indiana, in the good old US of A. Getting married. My VISA is going through and I'm just waiting for my final interview. Very excited. So all you yanks. Watch out, I'm on my way!

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 6:53 AM

Beep beep beeep beeeeep dialing INS

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 6:58 AM

To tell them what a nice guy I am and how I'll be a benefit to the US?

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 7:29 AM

well, have fun, and congratulations..from all I've heard over the years, you're right, and he's just needing some instruction..good on ya.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 10:03 AM
Forum Moderator

I guess Kent isn't big enough for you? :-)

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 10:51 AM

It's not. I keep falling off the edge. I need a nice big state that I can roll around in. And Indiana is nice and flat, so no effort to roll.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

pauljs75 ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 12:28 PM

Provided that they went through the proper method of importing the .obp... Is it a Bryce 4 .obp or a Bryce 5 .obp? There IS a difference. (They should be different categories under Bryce because most people uploading don't note that.) It's a vexing issue, especially if somebodys schlepping on a slow line with an older version of Bryce and endup waiting on a download that doesn't work. For Bryce 5 users this isn't a problem, but not everybody has it yet.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Ardiva ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 1:26 PM

Give a mini-tut on how to import your models into Bryce in your "readme.txt" file, drawbridge? :-)

Zhann ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 3:23 PM

I have Bryce 5, and that's what I do, give instructions on how to import the obp in my readme, and also make sure that the Bryce version in plainly stated, with a little blurb to let them know it can't be imported into B4. I know when I first started if it said Bryce I downloaded it and then didn't know how to use it and then somethings just didn't work and I didn't know why, so I provide that informatiom in my readme now, I just assume everyone downloading my Bryce freebies is new, the pros don't need it but it's nice it's there for those who aren't...

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 3:29 PM

Yeah, you're all right. Can't assume anything. I'll start adding readme files.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

catlin_mc ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2004 at 11:56 AM

Congraqtulations drawbridgep, I hope all your travels are safe and that you have a happy, harmonious marriage. 8) ...........how could you do anything wrong? lol 8) Catlin

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.