Fri, Sep 20, 11:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Vue vs OnyxTree

satfj ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 2:46 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 11:45 AM

Any opinions on this program? http://www.onyxtree.com/suite.html How photorealistic compared to Vue?

gillbrooks ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 3:08 PM

I'd like it but it's too expensive!!! Just got XFrog intead

Gill

gebe ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 3:17 PM

You cannot compare these programs. vue is originally a landscape generator. Onyx tree creates trees. Only.

iloco ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 3:24 PM

I think they ment how did onyx trees(plants) compare to the trees that are in the plants Library in Vue. Personally I like the xfrog plants compared to onyx plants.

ïÏøçö

artico ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 4:37 PM

You can't compare both programs. Compare Onyx with Xfrog and Xfrog is the clear winner.

satfj ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 5:28 PM

Yes I'm trying to compare plants from one to the other. I currently have Vue and I love it. I also have 3d Max but I hate the Atmospheres and trees. I want to upgrade it to try to match Vue photorealism. Also thinking in getting Dreamscape plug in or similar. Any suggestions? Thanks

megalodon ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 5:31 PM

Actually.... we have both, but use Onyx TreePro more. Why? It's significantly easier to create your trees with TreePro. TreePro makes primarily only trees - broadleaf, conifer, palms and bamboo. You can also alter it to create bushes but it's main strength is trees. XFrog is a VERY good program and gives you alot more control over a great many parameters. Side by side right out of the box, you'll find it easier for a novice to create a tree in TreePro than to do one in XFrog. If you want to create a specific sort of tree with specific sort of branches and fruit or... you'll find XFrog to be the obvious winner. This is of course my opinion - but we HAVE used both programs. Supposedly the next version of TreePro will have wind/animation capabilities that can be easily exported to Lightwave - something that XFrog already has in the Pro version. Unfortunately XFrog4 is only available as a plugin to C4D - we only use Lightwave and they (Greenworks)have been rather sluggish in creating the LW XFrog plugin. Hopefully they will have it soon! Megalodon

satfj ( ) posted Thu, 15 April 2004 at 7:04 PM

Any image galleries on the web for one to compare? I'm more interested in the photorealistic aspect. I like Vues qualities which one of theese best compares to Vue tree wise?

SpringBirdy ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2004 at 6:14 PM

Satfj, it's quite foolish of you to think that it's always the program that creates photorealistic objects. You can have the best tree models, but when you don't understand how to make an interesting composition and how to pay attention to contrast, lighting, color, depth, etc, then even the most realistic tree will look crappy.

LeFrog ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2004 at 7:41 PM

Actually megalodon, XFrog does have a plugin that you can import your xfrog trees into Lightwave. -DarkSun

megalodon ( ) posted Sat, 17 April 2004 at 10:39 PM

LeFrog, I thought that the plugin was only for XFrog3.5 and below. XFrog4 is currently only a plugin for C4D. Is this wrong or have things changed? We already have the plugin for LW and have used it - with XFrog3.5. Stewart said they would be working on the LW XFrog4 plugin but no time frame was given. Megalodon

satfj ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2004 at 5:48 AM

Any Xfrog gallery I'm curios to see how it compares to Vue

LeFrog ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2004 at 8:14 AM

Oh yes sorry Megalodon, they are in the process of working on XFrog 4 for lightwave. I just assumed you had 3.5 or something. And satfj you can check out some XFrog images at their site. But once again you cannot compare XFrog (plant software) to Vue (a realistic terrain software). However you can use XFrog plants in Vue, many do.

LeFrog ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2004 at 9:09 AM

Also there exists another awesome (but pricey) app out there. http://www.idvinc.com It is called SpeedTree -LeFrog

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.