Tue, Oct 22, 2:03 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: PROBLEM importing DXF files into Poser 5 - HELP!!

kingnimrod ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2004 at 12:49 PM ยท edited Fri, 18 October 2024 at 12:15 PM

This seems like it shoudl be the simplest thing in the world, but I am about to go crazy. I am creating a shape - the letter Z, to be exact, extruded in Strata 3D. I then export this shape as a DXF file from Strata, then go to Poser 5 and import it. Instead of a solid shape, I get the extruded edges of the "z" - but the middle is empty!! What am I doing wrong? How do I make the Z solid? I thought it might be an issue with the text tool in strata, but Poser treats flat-faced objects the same. Please set me straight, someone! Thanks

geep ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2004 at 1:04 PM

Hi kingnimrod, You appear to have "empty" polygons. You need to "fill" the polygons, i.e., add the facet data and then Poser will be able to display them properly. cheers, dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

nruddock ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2004 at 1:07 PM

Sounds like it isn't including face information in the DXF file, do you see anything when you render?

Why not use a more common 3D format like OBJ or 3DS for the transfer.

If Strata doesn't export to something usable you could try doing the extrusion with another app (e.g. Anim8or) which does.

kingnimrod ( ) posted Mon, 26 April 2004 at 1:28 PM

Hello, thanks for the replies - I am working on a mac. Here's something interesting - when I export one of the stock objects from strata, for example, a cassette tape, same thing!! I can't be sure if the problem lies in strata's export or poser's import... this is going to drive me crazy. Are there any mac apps that can help me out?

kawecki ( ) posted Tue, 27 April 2004 at 3:30 AM

I do not know about Poser 5, what I know is that Poser 4 import very badly dxf, I have made a small program for converting dxf to obj and then import the obj into Poser.

Stupidity also evolves!

R_Hatch ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2004 at 1:51 AM

Attached Link: http://www.wings3d.com

If you're on OSX, you should get Wings3D, which can create 3d text, and plays very well with Poser (it even has a way to scale objects down on export to fit Poser better). Then just export as obj, since this format is supported much better by Poser.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.